News & Discussion: Adelaide Urban Sprawl & Density

All other development discussion.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Adelaide Urban Sprawl & Density

#91 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Urban Sprawl & Density

#92 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 am

Cheers Wayno.

One thing that does concern me about these new zoning changes is the yellow parcels of land, which are those "semi-rural" housing estates. What's stooping landowners from subdividing to the bare minimum size of land parcels which effectively makes them urbanized?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:56 am

[Shuz] wrote:Cheers Wayno.

One thing that does concern me about these new zoning changes is the yellow parcels of land, which are those "semi-rural" housing estates. What's stooping landowners from subdividing to the bare minimum size of land parcels which effectively makes them urbanized?
The Council's DA Plan guides parcel sizes. You'd need to look it up.

Currently DA plans are maintained with input from Council staff, and elected knuckleheads, err Councillors. Unsure if Rau's push to oust Councillors from dev approval meetings also means they won't contribute so much to future DA plan guidelines.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

claybro
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:20 pm

[Shuz] wrote:The southern suburbs sees very little change to the existing urban footprint now. Only Seaford Heights and a small bit of Aldinga set to expand.
Given this, is there any particular reason we consistently see discussion surrounding the extension if the Seaford line to Aldinga? Surely they should be talking about expansion of the Gawler line or spurs from same? As far as I remember there has been no serious discussion regarding any extensions to Gawler line.
[Shuz] wrote:The overwhelming bulk of the new greenfields growth in the next 100 years will be in the northern suburbs.

Ser Noit of Loit
Gold-Member ;)

Re:

#95 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 pm

sidler wrote:
urban wrote:I heard a statistic several years ago that metropolitan Adelaide is the same size as singapore with 1/10th the population.
This might help to get an idea how large Adelaide's metropolitan area footprint is compared to other world cities.

Adelaide in the middle
London top left
Berlin top right
Melbourne to the left of Adelaide
Calcutta to the right of Adelaide
Toronto and Rome to the right of Calcutta
Tokyo above adelaide
Sydney to right of Tokyo
Detroit bottom right
Moscow below adelaide
Mexico City below left of adelaide

Forgotton the others, someone else might be able to work it out

When you see it like this it really shows how inefficient we have been with our land use. Even compared to other Aust cities we are out of control

In my opinion the implementation of the urban growth boundary for Adelaide has been a great move.

Cheers
Yes it's a decade old post. However I'm very interested in seeing this map so does anyone have a link? The one here doesn't work anymore.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by arki » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 pm

^^^
Here's an image that has been floating around for a few years.

Not sure how accurate it is; I feel like Sydney and Melbourne should be slightly larger than they appear on that graphic compared to the width of Adelaide. Even just a quick look at Google Maps shows the vile extent of Melbourne's sprawl.

GoodSmackUp
High Rise Poster!

#97 Post by GoodSmackUp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 am

It's not accurate, It put Newark and NYC together as 1 city. If they're going to do that then they might as well include the entire Northeast Megaopolis

arki
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by arki » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:08 pm

By accurate I meant to scale.

Newark is very much part of the greater NYC contiguous urban zone so its inclusion makes total sense. The 'Northeast Megalopolis' on the other hand....

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#99 Post by rev » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:30 pm

arki wrote: Even just a quick look at Google Maps shows the vile extent of Melbourne's sprawl.
What's vile is over crowded cities where the majority of people are forced to live in tiny apartments packed one on top of the other.