#Official Defence Thread

All other development discussion.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#61 Post by Pistol » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 pm

I love how they describe Greg Combet as the junior Defence Minister...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by rhino » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:56 am

I love how he thinks SA is punching above it's weight.
cheers,
Rhino

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by mattblack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:12 pm

rhino wrote:I love how he thinks SA is punching above it's weight.
Give credit where its due. For the smallest mainland state capital to be the defence capital of the nation is pretty major.

rhino

#64 Post by rhino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:32 am

Are you telling me, or Greg Combet? Personally, I think SA is doing a fantasic job in this field!
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#65 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:07 am

From today's Adelaide Now:

Submarine project 'bigger than Snowy'
Peter Veness
November 05, 2009 08:01pm

BUILDING 12 "future submarines" capable of launching cruise missiles and deploying special forces will be one of the greatest challenges Australia has faced.
In a landmark speech to the Sydney Institute, Acting Defence Minister Greg Combet declared the plan bigger than the Snowy River Scheme and one that would push boundaries in science and industry.
"This is an extraordinarily complex task, imposing ground-breaking demands on both science and industry," Mr Combet said.
"But the Rudd government is confident that Australian industry can again rise to the occasion, as it did with the Collins project 25 years ago."
One of the lessons learnt from the Collins project will result in the basing of the project's headquarters in Adelaide. This is intended to avoid the "blunders" which have plagued the existing submarines, the Government says.
The Collins submarines have consistently struggled to operate because of either technical problems or a lack of manpower.
However, Mr Combet delivered a spirited defence of the now middle-aged ships.
"The construction of the Collins Class submarines in Australia provided the catalyst for the rapid modernisation of significant sections of our manufacturing industry."
Mr Combet was, in part, responding to a recent research paper from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute which put the cost of the new subs at as much as $36 billion.
While not conceding on cost, he did admit the budget would be huge.
"The entire Snowy Mountains Scheme cost around $7 billion in today's dollars.
"This project will be among the largest industrial projects ever contemplated in Australia.
"If managed properly, in addition to providing the Navy with 12 highly-capable submarines, it will contribute to the modernisation of the Australian manufacturing industry."
The submarines were first mooted in the government's defence white paper, which called for a significant military build-up to maintain regional air, ground and naval superiority.
Now Mr Combet has begun a debate about what the submarines should be capable of and just how much should be spent on them.
The Collins subs cost $5.7 billion and that was for six.
The government would like these so-called future submarines to be capable of picking off long-distance targets with cruise missiles and also deploying special forces troops while submerged.
The subs will also carry sophisticated intelligence-gathering equipment to help bolster espionage efforts.
Mr Combet raised the prospect that the subs are unlikely to be identical given the time lag between building the first and last.
"It is almost certain the 12th submarine to be delivered will be at least 15 years behind the latest technology," he said.
"From a technological currency point of view, there may be certain advantages to building batches of submarines."
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#66 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 am

Levett signs multi-year jet deal
VALERINA CHANGARATHIL
November 09, 2009 09:30am

ADELAIDE aircraft components maker Levett Engineering has signed its first multi-year contract for the nine-nation $260 billion Joint Strike Fighter program.
The latest deal with U.S. defence major Lockheed Martin worth more than $6 million will see the Elizabeth Vale company supplying up to 53 machined components, including complex titanium and aluminium airframe parts, for the F-35 Lightning II jet fighter from 2010 to 2016.
The JSF program aims to build more than 3000 aircraft over 25 years, with initial production to start early next year and full-scale production expected to begin in 2016.
Levett Engineering has been working on the JSF program for several years, but the contracts so far were only ``spot buys''.
With the JSF program now moving from the systems design and development stage to low-rate initial production in 2010, more multi-year contracts are likely to be announced.
"Lockheed is the first to move,'' Levett Engineering chief executive Paul Levett said. ``Over the next five years, we hope to sign up for contracts worth nearly $30 million.''
Levett Engineering, which received a $2.25 million grant through the South Australian Innovation and Investment Fund, said the contract created a stable foundation to grow its international aerospace business and invest in new plant and equipment.
The company was a clear demonstration of the success of the SA Innovation and Investment Fund, Deputy Premier Kevin Foley said.
"Levett is a great example of a far-sighted, hard working, entrepreneurial company that's used this grant money to great effect,'' Mr Foley said. ``From humble beginnings as a machine shop in 1989, it is now engaged in one of this country's largest and most prestigious defence contracts.''
Levett Engineering also has a 12-month contract with U.S. company Pratt & Whitney to supply engine parts for the aircrafts.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#67 Post by rhino » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:20 am

International allies flock to Woomera testing range
KIM WHEATLEY
November 17, 2009 12:01am

A FEDERAL Government commitment of up to $500 million to restore the Woomera test range to its position as a crucial defence asset is starting to reap rewards.
The British arm of global defence giant BAE Systems has just used the restricted zone in the South Australian Outback for the successful maiden flight of its Mantis drone, or unmanned aircraft.
The Mantis is the largest spy plane built in the UK, with a wingspan of 20m.
Armed with laser-guided bombs and missiles, the twin-prop plane is also equipped with a multi-sensor turret and radar under the fuselage, and a satellite communications antenna in the upper nose section.
BAE Systems says it will operate at altitudes of up to 16,700m and will be able to perform missions including intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance, plus air support for ground forces.
The aircraft was disassembled in the UK and flown in the hull of an RAF C-17 to Woomera, where it was reassembled for testing.
While the Federal Government is yet to give the exact budget it plans to spend on new tracking systems and infrastructure at Woomera, in May it indicated up to $500 million would be set aside. Woomera gained international renown during the Cold War era when it was the home of long-range rocket and missile testing.
At the time, Woomera was second only to Cape Canaveral in the US in terms of the rate and number of rocket launches.
Defence says that world-wide interest has begun again.
"There is a renewed interest in Woomera . . . we're continually getting interest from countries all around the world . . . but, significantly, from our closest allies," Group Captain Reg Carruthers, from the Aerospace Operational Support Group, said yesterday.
"But, at the moment, we don't have the ability - because of the age of a lot of our equipment - to satisfy a lot of their needs."
ON any one day, there are between five and 10 tests and trials. Bookings for the range extend as far into the future as 2023, when the European Space Agency will conduct trials.
BAE Systems (UK) is now testing the Mantis drone, Singapore Air Force is testing surface-to-air missiles, and the ADF is conducting bombing and missile trials. Trials include air weapons, research and experimentation, electronic warfare test.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:00 am

rhino wrote:From today's Adelaide Now:

A FEDERAL Government commitment of up to $500 million to restore the Woomera test range to its position as a crucial defence asset is starting to reap rewards.
i'm torn here. Good that SA has defence related work in our outback, but as we saw recently it also impedes the mining industry from accessing a LARGE part of our outback resources. What to do?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by monotonehell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:44 am

Wayno wrote:i'm torn here. Good that SA has defence related work in our outback, but as we saw recently it also impedes the mining industry from accessing a LARGE part of our outback resources. What to do?
Dig it up or blow it up .. tough decision :lol:

Funny that drone research should come back to Woomera, DSTO/WRE/whatevertheywerecalledinthe'60s developed one of the World's first drones here in SA back in the day.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by JamesXander » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:21 pm

Wayno wrote:
rhino wrote:From today's Adelaide Now:

i'm torn here. Good that SA has defence related work in our outback, but as we saw recently it also impedes the mining industry from accessing a LARGE part of our outback resources. What to do?

I reckon the missle range is the way to go.

The space race is set to take off in the next decade, and if we can land a big slice of that, well that just more money in our pockets...and the minerals undiscovered, just growing in $terms by the years :D

rhino

#71 Post by rhino » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:08 am

As I understand it, an Australian company can still have a mine in the Prohibited Area, but the Defense Chiefs don't want a Chinese (or other nationality) company having a big claim there. Is this incorrect?
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

rhino wrote:As I understand it, an Australian company can still have a mine in the Prohibited Area, but the Defense Chiefs don't want a Chinese (or other nationality) company having a big claim there. Is this incorrect?
it is correct, but as i understand it applies only to certain 'small and peripheral' areas of the prohibited zone. Vast quantities of the core zone are simply 'out of bounds' to civilians...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by mattblack » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 am

Wayno wrote:
rhino wrote:As I understand it, an Australian company can still have a mine in the Prohibited Area, but the Defense Chiefs don't want a Chinese (or other nationality) company having a big claim there. Is this incorrect?
it is correct, but as i understand it applies only to certain 'small and peripheral' areas of the prohibited zone. Vast quantities of the core zone are simply 'out of bounds' to civilians...

Ive got a picture of myself out there standing next to a sign that says that you can be 'shot on site' beyond that point. Guess they're pretty serious about security !! :D
Last edited by mattblack on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by Pistol » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Considering that DSTO has a large presence there I can understand why that sign is there...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:49 am

Rann lobbies for sub design centre

I'm not sure what the Centre would entail - sounds interesting though. SA could do with more hi-tech jobs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 770445.htm
Premier Mike Rann says it makes sense for a planned multi-billion-dollar submarine design centre to be in Adelaide where new submarines will be built.

The Federal Government will decide next year where the centre will be located. It is expected to create up to 600 high-technology jobs.

Mr Rann says a track record in securing major defence projects makes winning future contracts more likely.

"There's about $250 billion worth of defence projects being lined up over the next 20 years for Australia and, in fact, the through life support and maintenance of these giant projects is worth even more than the actual construction," he said.