News & Discussion: Never Builts

All other development discussion.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #Official - Never Builts

#31 Post by Omicron » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Not so great - that roof would absolutely have had to be painted by now to rid us all of the hideous morning-after colour scheme. Like Southern Cross Station done badly.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by omada » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

Well at least that proposal was ambitious in scope, unlike the new Bus Station, which although represents a huge improvement, in reality, falls well short - it reeks of penny pinching and has little in the way of architectural merit.

Remember when public buildings, especially train stations etc, were "grand" and inspiring places? (Think Victorian era).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

Airports fill that role today. Long distance bus travel is not exactly a glamorous affair.

Besides, the Bus Terminal is bigger and grander than Canberra Airport. :mrgreen:

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 am

I still love the way the Tel Aviv bus station is builkt- apron on the 5th floor for the buses that drive down ramps that go straight onto the freeways. Awesome.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Will » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Although technically not a 'never built', the original plans for Flinders Link were vastly different to what we ended up getting.

This image from 2003, shows the original proposal. Note, that the original design for the IAG building were arguably much better. Furthermroe, originally the site now occupied by the Santos HQ, was originally meant to have been a 15 level aaprtment block. Also, the vacant site on Wyatt Street, at the entrance to the IAG building's carpark, was originally intended to have been for a 9 level apartment building called 'Dakota on Wyatt'.

ghs

#36 Post by ghs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 pm

The cancellation of Latitude at Glenelg just about left me in tears.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 1115327386

There were a couple of proposals for the site and it was advertised as
being the last building near the beach at Glenelg.

Nort

#37 Post by Nort » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 pm

ghs wrote:The cancellation of Latitude at Glenelg just about left me in tears.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 1115327386

There were a couple of proposals for the site and it was advertised as
being the last building near the beach at Glenelg.
Unless you planned on buying one, why did it bother you? The high rise developments at Glenelg are largely self contained and contribute little to the surrounding area.

ghs

#38 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 am

Well if you look at the render it was a nice looking glass building. Also most people want to
see glenelg develop more and become more vibrant.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Vibrant? Yes. The beach lined with boring boxes? No. It's the reason I haven't been to Glenelg for a long time.

Omicron

#40 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Oh, pshaw.

Nort

#41 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm

ghs wrote:Well if you look at the render it was a nice looking glass building. Also most people want to
see glenelg develop more and become more vibrant.
Glenelg has actually become far less interesting in the last few years in my opinion. The foreshore apartments sit off by themselves in a little community of their own and have changed the character of the area for the worse.

That's not to see I think they should have prevented them from being constructed (although I do think the location of them is appalling), however there is nothing to get attached to with them.

Omicron

#42 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Assuming you mean the Holdfast Shores development, I question how the character of the area was lessened by replacing an asphalt carpark with hundreds of apartments, ground-floor restaurants and a marina? On a balmy evening, the whole area is alive with diners, drinkers and visitors alike all enjoying the seaside location and ease of accessibility from Jetty Road. The Pier Hotel and the neighbouring Platinum have, admittedly, a dreadful relationship with the street level, but it's not as if the old SLSC they replaced was any better at encouraging visitors.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Will » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Omicron wrote:Assuming you mean the Holdfast Shores development, I question how the character of the area was lessened by replacing an asphalt carpark with hundreds of apartments, ground-floor restaurants and a marina? On a balmy evening, the whole area is alive with diners, drinkers and visitors alike all enjoying the seaside location and ease of accessibility from Jetty Road. The Pier Hotel and the neighbouring Platinum have, admittedly, a dreadful relationship with the street level, but it's not as if the old SLSC they replaced was any better at encouraging visitors.
My thoughts exactly. I don't understand how anyone can say Glenelg has been ruined by developments of recent years. Having lived in the area for 19 years now, I recall how dead Glenelg used to be, particualrly in the colder months. Now, there are always people in Glenelg.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:57 am

Will wrote:...My thoughts exactly. I don't understand how anyone can say Glenelg has been ruined by developments of recent years. Having lived in the area for 19 years now, I recall how dead Glenelg used to be, particularly in the colder months. Now, there are always people in Glenelg.
While I agree with you, I think the main reason those developments are disliked is their boxy-ness and disproportionate size when viewed from the gulf side. They really do dominate the coastline there in a very "1990's" way.

If they'd been designed with a little less stark contrast and a bit more harmony with their surroundings, people may think more of them.

But as for what they contain, I agree, it's a well patronised area.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron

#45 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 am

Any building next to ten zillion square kilometres of open water is going to look disproportionate from certain angles. In any case, I think the marina buildings are better-looking than the majority of apartment buildings constructed these days.
Will wrote:
Omicron wrote:Assuming you mean the Holdfast Shores development, I question how the character of the area was lessened by replacing an asphalt carpark with hundreds of apartments, ground-floor restaurants and a marina? On a balmy evening, the whole area is alive with diners, drinkers and visitors alike all enjoying the seaside location and ease of accessibility from Jetty Road. The Pier Hotel and the neighbouring Platinum have, admittedly, a dreadful relationship with the street level, but it's not as if the old SLSC they replaced was any better at encouraging visitors.
My thoughts exactly. I don't understand how anyone can say Glenelg has been ruined by developments of recent years. Having lived in the area for 19 years now, I recall how dead Glenelg used to be, particualrly in the colder months. Now, there are always people in Glenelg.
Not only that, but Holdfast Shores and similar developments have encouraged further investment in the Glenelg area. I am sure that the Moseley Square renovations would not have occurred as quickly as they did without the sudden influx of residents and visitors brought on by the foreshore redevelopment, for example. And if we're being honest, those who equate Glenelg with the Gold Coast are ignorant toss-hats.