News & Discussion: The 30 Year Plan for Greater Adelaide

All other development discussion.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

30-year Plan for Greater Adelaide

#1 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:05 pm

Thye plan was opened for submissions today.
South Australian Government unveils vision for Adelaide

ADELAIDE will become a city of green transport corridors and mixed housing-business developments under a new 30-year development plan.

The existing city will be the focal point for an expected 560,000 people in 258,000 new homes, according to the State Government plan, and will give rise to another 282,000 jobs.

Urban Planning Minister Paul Holloway said about 70 per cent of the new housing will be within the current city limits - a ploy designed to reduce the sprawl, but also to cater for an ageing population that is within walking distance of public transport.

"These (suburbs) will be walkable, connected and safe precincts that allow people to work, shop and access services near their homes, and which are located near parklands, waterways and vibrant cultural centres," he said.

Transport corridors will receive a special planning designation to cut across council boundaries and politics, and a new planning scheme would allow for more flexible developments in these areas, he said.

Expansion outside Adelaide will target a doubling of Roseworthy, and a steady expansion of Murray Bridge, Mount Barker and Goolwa.

The plan has also included a Hills railway to connect Murray Bridge to Mullala in the Barossa Valley.

While the plan will be open for consultation and submissions until the end of September, Mr Holloway said there was a need to put forward a plan that would guide the city's development over the long term.

"What we need to do is rebalance our growth," he said.

He said Virginia, McLaren Vale and the Barossa Valley had been protected to save agricultural and wine regions from intrusion.

Local Government Association president Felicity-Ann Lewis said the plan was needed, but the state government needed to ensure it took an inclusive approach.

"At the local government level, we must be assured that the three spheres of government work together to ensure that the development and ongoing maintenance of current and new infrastructure is well researched and appropriately funded," she said.

"Where there are plans for housing developments there must also be plans for schools, parks and open spaces, community sporting facilities and other vital infrastructure required to create and support new communities."

The head of South Australia's Urban Development Institute, Ian Marker, said the group had already identified a need for more land to be released to house the state's growing population.

"We urge the Government to implement the 30-year Plan promptly and monitor the supply of appropriately-zoned land and the pipeline for controlled development of the greater Adelaide area," he said.

"Maintaining an adequate supply of developed allotments during the next few years - at both greenfield and inner-city sites - will be critical to avoid price escalation and decreasing affordability."

Property Council executive director Nathan Paine said the plan was likely to draw criticisms, but the city needed a longer-term overview to avoid the mistakes of ad-hoc growth.

"This plan builds on all the good work to date by promoting further growth through urban in-fill aligned with a massive investment in public transport," he said.

"There is no doubt that there will be critics in the community of this plan. It is time for these naysayers - opponents to economic growth, jobs and affordable housing for South Australia's youth - to take a back seat and allow the state to grow along its natural path.

"We need sustained and sustainable population growth to ensure we can cater for the needs of our aging population. Without it, our state faces terminal decline and the denial of our potential."

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 30-year Plan for Greater Adelaide

#2 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:52 pm

Visual Presentation:

ABC News Report:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:07 pm

I haven't reviewed the brochure as yet, just watched what (the wonderful) Norman has posted in video form.

The question is, after everyone's digested and THOUGHT about it,* do we wish to make a submission on this?

Don't answer now, let's think it through and talk about it in a day or two. And if we have enough momentum we can go along the lines of our previous submissions.

(*Knee jerk comments are for Adelaide Now we're better than that.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by fabricator » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:12 am

I'm concerned how most of the new industry/business districts don't have any connection to the public transport corridors. Especially when there is alternative land available. Its a fair bet the new shopping center proposed for Gawler East won't be anywhere near the railway station either.

They really need to make design facilities around public transport, instead of throwing darts at a map and hoping for the best. In short we need to do something about the poor urban planning.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 am

Slowly getting through the downloads, but I only ever skim read when on the internet. I might go in a buy the paper copy. $10 I believe

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#7 Post by adam73837 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:38 am

What what I've seen, I'm quite impressed and I like the Mt Barker Mayor's comments that "Some people want things to stay the way they are, but change is going to happen whether we like it or not." 8)
However I must ask about Virginia. Currently it is only really served by buses in terms of PT and although the new NExy will go near there, doesn't that contradict the government's plan for PT? Perhaps its time to extend the Metro Train System along the Adelaide-Perth Railway Line :?:

I noticed Paul Holloway in that video and I'm glad to have recently learnt that those rumours about him being told to step down aren't true. :D 8) I have also learnt that he has an engineering degree... Explains a bit don't you think?
Last edited by adam73837 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by ozisnowman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Read in the article that it mentions there will need to be greater cooperation
between the three tiers of government... Problem is that one of those tiers
is not uniform accross the board. Only way around this is to have a super council
that has a common uniform planning approach. Can just see adhoc development
occuring regardless, ie No TOD's in my backyard by certain councils.

The government needs to get serious about the CBD building plan by increasing
density, raising height limits. Also they should look at purchasing offices
on fullarton road, greenhill road and building 8-10 storey appartments.
Businesses in these locations should be encouraged to move into the CBD.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:12 pm

I've looked only at the electronic copy so far, trying to shake out the hard bits from the wishful thinking/subtle electioneering (because I'm a rusted on cynic, I'm going to overlay an electorate map on the proposals and see how they relate...)

The MB to Mallala rwy is interesting. Why not go the whole hog and extend it to Dry Creek? More opportunities for satellite towns (if we grow) and the chance of a deep water artificial harbour at the Dry Creek national line railhead to eventually free up the limited space on Le Fevre Peninsula for its highest and best use - coastal housing and remove heavy road freight from Port Adelaide and from Mt Barker - Adelaide - Gepps Cross route?

I'm also interested to see how the existing coastal housing ribbon, now reaching from North Haven nearly to Port Willunga will be managed (within the geographic scope of the document), and what will become of the remaining coastline from Port Willunga around to Goolwa. You can see what's happening on Google Earth - the rough topography is probably doing more than the zoning to limit development along the coast as is.

It will also be interesting to see how the plan tackles the immoveable object and the irresistible force - the apparent economic sense of high residential densities around transport nodes versus the continued clear preference (if they could afford it) of Australians across the demographics for detached dwellings on allotments.

Good stuff that it's being aired again. The more comments from all levels of knowledge and expertise the better. A passive population tends to get done over...

Cam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Cam » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:03 pm

A lot to digest ,, but Water to me is the big issue going forward so I would have like to seen a couple more Reservoirs built to serve the Eastern side of the Ranges.
Adelaide, Saudi Australia.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by mattblack » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:00 am

Cam wrote:A lot to digest ,, but Water to me is the big issue going forward so I would have like to seen a couple more Reservoirs built to serve the Eastern side of the Ranges.
I know that work is being undertaken in regards to this. Mt Bold expansion is off the radar due to the biodiversity value of the area. 3 - 4 sites have been short listed, one problem is that many of the prime sites for reservoirs are compromised because of townships in the area that would be flooded. Wouldn't be suprised to hear something before the election. Dont expect anything massive that will supply millions of people though, it would most likely be reletivly small but very deep to supply towns and more an emergency storage for adelaide itself. Looks like the gov is now focusing on stormwater and aquifer recharge.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Strangled Cat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Just to post something very superficial and off topic, that footage of Mount Barker was taken outside my next door neighbours house by the looks of it!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 pm

The street does look familiar, but I can't remember which street it is :lol:

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by Strangled Cat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Hehe, I won't give it all away Crawf, but all I'll say is that it's a court in the Mountain Glen estate (think golf course).

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#15 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm shockingly dissapointed to be honest. I for one am vehemently opposed to the expansion of the urban boundaries and promoting further sprawl beyond the scope of the "existing" limitations. There is absolutely no need to drive growth into Roseworthy, Mount Barker, etc, when we have sufficient lands available due west of Salisbury/Elizabeth, and between Aldinga-Seaford areas. Areas which I should point out have a sufficient PT axis (Seaford and Gawler rail lines).

To be honest, I think the terminology of "urban boundary" is used in a vague context that offers hope for the expansion of the urban sprawl, as that drives it to become the "new" urban boundary - which promotes expansion, rather than consolidation. There needs to be an affixed urban consolidation zone, Gawler River to the north, Mount Lofty Ranges to the south and east.

Growth should be constrained within the parameters of the zone, so that services are readily provided and upgraded in advance of development (ie; Northern Expressway) than to fall back -on what we all know is a failed notion - of continual expansion and then providing the services later (Seaford rail extension) in which services are provided at a second rate.