News & Discussion: Population Growth

All other development discussion.
urban
Legendary Member!

Re: #Article: 65,000 people for city centre

#31 Post by urban » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Certainly do.

In Europe just about every public building is the result of an architectural competition which provides for a much broader range of concepts and approaches to be considered. Port Adelaide, Glenelg & the Marj could have all benefited from a broader range of concepts.

Adelaide had a strong use of design competitions in our days as an enlightened city. The Railway Station & Parliament House were both the result of comps.

urban
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by urban » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:04 pm

City nipper numbers soar
Article from: Sunday Mail
July 15, 2007 12:15am
FORGET the suburbs, the city is home to a baby boom according to latest cenus figures.

The 2006 Australian Bureau of Statistics census shows there has been a 23 per cent increase in children aged up to four years in the Adelaide City Council area since 2001.
It's a rise higher than any other Adelaide suburb. ABS figures show the council's population growth rate was more than nine times that of other metropolitan Adelaide councils.

Hannah Eldridge, 28, lives with her husband and seven-month-old son Nixon on Hutt St, in Adelaide's CBD.

"I've lived in the city for about four years and I love it," she said.

"My husband owns a design studio in the city so he walks to work every day.

"We are close to the markets, close to the shops, close to work.

"I walk everywhere. We're accessible to everything.

"Living and working in the city is just so easy. We love it and we would like to continue to live here.

"There's a lot of residential development and it's still very affordable, unlike Sydney or Melbourne."

In 2006, there were 16,660 people living in the area, up from 13,000 in 2001 – an increase of 28 per cent.

Adelaide City Council chief executive officer Stuart Moseley said there had been a resurgence in city living.

"Adelaide is a city set in attractive parklands providing a hub for people seeking easy access to shops and entertainment and to take advantage of the cultural life in the city," he said.

"Council has invested a significant amount to upgrade playgrounds around the city and develop new play spaces to meet the future needs of the growing number of children."

Real estate sales figures show Adelaide city is experiencing a healthy residential boom with 15 apartments sold in the CBD for more than $1 million each in the past year, up from just five million-dollar-plus sales the previous year.

Property group Kinsmen Developments this week launched the final stage in a 62-residential CBD townhouse development.

The 13 new three-bedroom homes on Halifax St will range in price from $825,000 to $1.5m.

Kinsmen general manager Jeremy Blanks said there was a strong trend to move into the city.

"It's a lifestyle choice for many people," he said.

"There are different groups moving in including empty nesters, retirees or those who have a home in the country and want a city base.

"There's also been an increase in the number of students, particularly from overseas.

"Apartment or townhouse living is also seen as an affordable option for young singles or young couples.

"From our experience, the demand has been very strong and re-sales have shown strong capital growth."

At the current rate of increase (28% every 5 years) we should reach the target in less than 30 years.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by duke » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:18 pm

I am looking at buying in the CBD. It is my aim and goal actually. But the problem I am finding is that there are not enough reasonable priced townhouses or apartments with two to three bedrooms and with a car space. There are too many 1 bedroom or studio apartments that cost way too much. There are also not enough apartments with car spaces.

They should ban the building of 1 bedroom and studio apartments in Adelaide so the base level is brought down.

Out of curiosity, what are the requirements to run for council in the ACC?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Pistol » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Well you can make that total 17001 soon cos i wouldnt mind living in an apartment in the city!!!

Whos with me folks!!
Added my stats to the Adelaide City population in the last Census. I think I will be staying here for a while...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by stelaras » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:59 pm

In the 1940's there was no urban sprawl!

In 2007 there is plenty of urban spraw!

So basically what people are advocating is that everyone leave the burbs and buy a non existent apartment in the city and clog it up. Traffic will come to a standstill, the buses would be useless and our non existent train and tram system will surely cope. Whilst at the same time those abandoned suburban houses will attract the criminal/derilect element of society and all infrustructure would be allowed to waste away...Just so we can get 65000 people living in the city!

i suggested that we would need to build affordable high density housing....But really the sheer reason why any developer builds apartment blocks is because it is easy money for them. Because of city views they charge a premium even for a small shit box of a house. Because there is no space for car parking they build undercover parks and charge you a fortune for it...so affordable high density living in Adelaide city just like any city would be unaffordable to the average family of 1.25 kids.

Then just like it has happened everywhere else you end up with so many apartments, that it isnt worth having one because you never make anything on it....

Seriously guys im not trying to be negative, and i know im coming across that way (bad day at work), but the only way the CBD will grow is if there is an net positive inflow of cashed up DINKS/Singles from interstate or overseas. The people that would live in the CBD DINKS/Singles have already left the state or have to leave the state to get better paying or more opportune jobs.

65000 in 30 years really isnt attainable..If you were to attract these people from interstate or overseas, there would need to be massive infrustructure improvements in the city to accomodate them all.....At a HUGE cost.....

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Article: Heaven can wait: SA needs more people now!

#36 Post by stelaras » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Howie wrote: Why would they have to come from US, England and Europe? I

They dont necessarily have to come from any of those afor mentioned countries. They were the first 3 countries that came into my mind. Importantly however, Only 2 of those countries the US and England have internationally recognised diplomas and degrees. That is a huge difference between say India and Europe where nothing is recognised here and visa versa!

Whilst there may be more millionaires in india than there are here, there are also 50 times more people... if you did a per capita comparisson you would probably find that it isnt too different!

Whilst we have better roads, better healthcare, and cleaner air than those countries you mentioned....We are also one of the highest taxed and hardest working (in terms of hours in the office) than any of those countries..So, just as i have experienced from my travels around europe, everyone envies our country...yet when you begin to tell them the average week (in terms of hours) the levels of tax you pay, the cost of healthcare here and the fact that there are rules here that can not be broken. (cant get a parking ticket rubbed out just because you know someone in the traffic office)..most people prefer to stay in their own countries!

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)

#37 Post by alfer7_3 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Firstly to answer Wills question, 65 000 people could fit in the lower density housing in thw 1940's cos the average household was about 5 people now its about 2 and will continue to decrease. alot of the city centre area has also been taken over by offices etc. the cbd area is fairly large and 65 000 people could be achievable with 10 storey appartments right throughout the city square. if the city continues to grow at the rate it has in the past few years the ACC will have a population of 65 000 in about 60 years (not in % but the no. of people who moved to the ACC in 2006) The infrastructure will gradually improve to cater for the increased population so i wouldnt worry about that. IMO with the mining boom the state population will grow faster and we will inevitably see more people replacing detached housing with higher density housing. so i think the ACC could have a population of 65000 before 2067. cheers

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:48 pm

I know they're not skilled workers, but just to let you know that there are 14 million refugees in the world in need of a home.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by AG » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:03 pm

stelaras wrote:In the 1940's there was no urban sprawl!

In 2007 there is plenty of urban spraw!

So basically what people are advocating is that everyone leave the burbs and buy a non existent apartment in the city and clog it up. Traffic will come to a standstill, the buses would be useless and our non existent train and tram system will surely cope. Whilst at the same time those abandoned suburban houses will attract the criminal/derilect element of society and all infrustructure would be allowed to waste away...Just so we can get 65000 people living in the city!

i suggested that we would need to build affordable high density housing....But really the sheer reason why any developer builds apartment blocks is because it is easy money for them. Because of city views they charge a premium even for a small shit box of a house. Because there is no space for car parking they build undercover parks and charge you a fortune for it...so affordable high density living in Adelaide city just like any city would be unaffordable to the average family of 1.25 kids.

Then just like it has happened everywhere else you end up with so many apartments, that it isnt worth having one because you never make anything on it....

Seriously guys im not trying to be negative, and i know im coming across that way (bad day at work), but the only way the CBD will grow is if there is an net positive inflow of cashed up DINKS/Singles from interstate or overseas. The people that would live in the CBD DINKS/Singles have already left the state or have to leave the state to get better paying or more opportune jobs.

65000 in 30 years really isnt attainable..If you were to attract these people from interstate or overseas, there would need to be massive infrustructure improvements in the city to accomodate them all.....At a HUGE cost.....
There was certainly urban sprawl occurring up to and during the 1940s, just not on a scale nearly as large as when the car became affordable and convenient to most families after WWII. This urban sprawl was largely assisted by new railways though, not roads.

About what you've mentioned above about getting people to move into the city and abandoning their suburban homes, this is based on the assumption that the population won't grow, which isn't the case as the metropolitan population is growing. I'm sure with the expected boom over the next few years that there will be more dinks and singles migrating to SA for employment reasons.

Why would trains and buses suddenly become useless because people are living in a small area? I know in many other large cities where some people live only a few hundred metres from where they work, they still take the train one or two stops, because time is money.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Over the next 5 years there are already over 3000 apartments coming onto the market in Adelaide CBD eithier approved or proposed with plenty more to come i'm sure.

The Precinct (1300)
Conservatory (60)
Spire (110)
Tivoli (28)
Octagon
20 Hindmarsh Sqaure (66 Apartments and 250 room hotel)
Waymouth St (220)
Flinders St (several projects about 60)
City Central 7 (Hotel and apartments)
Azucar apartments
Wave on King William
100's on South terrace under construction and about to commence construction.

Plus the many rumours
Freemasons
Renaisonce
Kings Apartments Waymouth Street

This does not include the many smaller apartment townhouse complexes around hutt st area.
Last edited by Ben on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Cruise » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:41 am

This may sound silly but whats a DINK?

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:54 am

Howie wrote:
stelaras wrote:Mass migration won't help in my opinion either, because other than refugee's you would be hard pushed to get 1 million people moving from the US, England and Europe.
Why would they have to come from US, England and Europe? India for instance has more millionaires than we have people. China would be on a similar ranking. If they could relax business migration and skills based migration laws in South Australia, I don't think its such an absurd idea.

Speaking to friends and relatives living o/s, they often envy our lifestyle over here. No overcrowding, little pollution, low cost of living. I'm sure they'd snap at the chance to be offered permanent residency in SA.
Yeah but im sure they would have a hard time finding a job that matches what they would have o/s.

We have small cost of living but people here who opt for a big career do not make as much.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by AG » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:08 am

Cruise Control wrote:This may sound silly but whats a DINK?
Double Income No Kids, ie. a married couple where both are working without any children in the family.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by stelaras » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:14 am

AG wrote:
stelaras wrote: Why would trains and buses suddenly become useless because people are living in a small area? I know in many other large cities where some people live only a few hundred metres from where they work, they still take the train one or two stops, because time is money.

If you had 65000 people living in the CBD today, assuming that our public transport system remains the same, and our roads the way they are, there would be gridlock during peak hours

What i was trying to say is that with such an increase in population in one confined area, there will need to be large infrustructure upgrades!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:15 am

Why would having more people living in the CBD, within walking distance of their workplaces, shops, schools and services cause gridlock? Yet having people live in Seaford and commuting to the CBD is a-ok?