#Official Mining Thread

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Official Mining Thread

#1381 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:36 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:17 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Copper Concentrate from their Prominent Hill mine (near Coober Pedy) is taken by rail to Port Adelaide where it is loaded onto ships and exported. I'd imagine that any processing plant would be located either onsite at the mine, or at a location somewhere near the rail line. Port Augusta? Port Adelaide? Somewhere else? Could be anyone's guess...
Most recent I can find is Q1 update which says the preferred site is near Port Augusta. Earlier thoughts had included signing an MoU with Arrium to build it at Whyalla.
Port Augusta would make sense. Rail from Prom Hill/Carra, process at Augusta, rail to Port Adelaide, export overseas (or export directly from Port Augusta)
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

bits
High Rise Poster!

#1382 Post by bits » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:11 am

SouthAussie94 wrote: (or export directly from Port Augusta)
How?
Does Port Augusta have any export port? Is the gulf deep or wide enough to bring sizable ships that far up?
Whyalla or Port Adelaide are the realistic export ports.

SBD
High Rise Poster!

#1383 Post by SBD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:54 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:11 am
How?
Does Port Augusta have any export port? Is the gulf deep or wide enough to bring sizable ships that far up?
I think they also get decent sized ships in to Port Pirie, but agree that Port Augusta and Port Paterson (where the power stations were) are too small to be useful.

Something I found online suggested the processing plant would be on the eastern side of the railway line about half way from the tomato farm to the Horrocks Pass road.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1384 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:48 am

bits wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:11 am
How?
More precisely, Port Bonython (once the new jetty is built) or Port Adelaide, although Port Pirie would also be capable. Whyalla, while technically capable, would be unlikely due to the ship not being able to be loaded at a wharf. If the concentrate has to be railed from the plant to the wharf, this double-handling at port would preclude Whyalla, IMO.
cheers,
Rhino