Murray Bridge | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#136 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm
6 Level hotel for Murray Bridge

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... hments.pdf

I wonder how much the new Tailem Bend Motorsport Park is influencing this? My understanding is that there isn't much in the way of hotel accommodation in and around the track
I would say it is a big factor. I would expect another 1 or 2 to be built in the nearby area in the coming years once the track is a proven success.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#137 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Aaaand approved.
Murray Bridge Bridgeport Hotel to be revamped into six-storey, 100-bedroom hotel
Erin Jones, Regional Reporter, The Advertiser
April 18, 2018 8:10pm

AN 1880s country hotel will make way for a six-storey high-end development, boasting 99 bedrooms, an outdoor pool and alfresco terrace, in Murray Bridge.

The Development Assessment Commission last week approved an application by EDP Hotels to demolish the local heritage-listed, Bridgeport Hotel.

EDP Hotels, formerly the Eureka Hotel Group, had spent six years modifying the plan, which includes a lounge bar, outdoor play area, gym and drive-through bottleshop. The cost of redevelopment is unknown.

Artist's impression of the new Bridgeport Hotel, at Murray Bridge.
The DAC found historical modifications to the 1884 building had significantly diminished the heritage value and it negatively impacted on the amenity to streetscape.

The new 23.5m-high building, on Bridge St, was found to meet the Murray Bridge Council’s desired character of the area “to create a more attractive and better functioning centre”.

The council previously said the redevelopment would change the urban fabric of Murray Bridge and had the potential to catalyst further development.

The Bridgeport Hotel was opened in 1885 and expanded in 1910 to cater for a number of travellers wanting to stay overnight. EDP Hotels was contacted for comment.

SBD
High Rise Poster!

#138 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am
SouthAussie94 wrote: I wonder how much the new Tailem Bend Motorsport Park is influencing this? My understanding is that there isn't much in the way of hotel accommodation in and around the track
I would say it is a big factor. I would expect another 1 or 2 to be built in the nearby area in the coming years once the track is a proven success.
It is possible that the hotel redevelopment was planned anyway, even without The Bend. Yesterday's Murray Valley Standard article refers to an article from Dec 2016, which says they had been planning for four years at that stage.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#139 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:42 pm

SBD wrote:
Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am
SouthAussie94 wrote: I wonder how much the new Tailem Bend Motorsport Park is influencing this? My understanding is that there isn't much in the way of hotel accommodation in and around the track
It is possible that the hotel redevelopment was planned anyway, even without The Bend. Yesterday's Murray Valley Standard article refers to an article from Dec 2016, which says they had been planning for four years at that stage.
Yes, but the Motorsport Park has also been in the works for quite a few years. Hard to say really.