#Official Energy Thread

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: #Official Energy Thread

#181 Post by mattblack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 am

Interesting developments with Beach energy signing a deal with Chevron to further develop Moomba and tapping into new gas reserves. Massive amount of potential.

Full interview by Allen Kohler from inside business with Reg Nelson managing director of Beach Energy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-10/e ... section=sa

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#182 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:Wind farms can produce significant amount of infrasound as well as audible sound. And prolonged exposure to significant amounts of that can be harmful. The sound from wind turbines can cause some buildings to resonate. This doesn't mean wind farms shouldn't be built, but it is a serious problem that shouldn't be ignored.
I'm going to have to ask you for a reference for that assertion.
Alas I'm going to have to disappoint you, as I can't remember my sources (except that one of them was a program on ABC TV).
The only time I've seen this idea come up was in non-peer-reviewed paper by one person.
Again, if you're restricting yourself to peer reviewed papers then you're in for more disappointment, as that's not the way I think. I'm not going to assume that every case in the world is psychosomatic until someone proves otherwise!

I'm puzzled as to what you think can't occur. That wind turbines produce infrasound? That they produce low frequency audible sound? That this can cause some buildings to resonate? That prolonged exposure to infrasound has health effects? That prolonged exposure to low frequency audible sound does?

In the absence of peer reviewed evidence I'd be reluctant to say how much it occurs, but with such a convincing explanation of why it could occur, it's up to those who say it can't occur to prove their claims.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#183 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 pm

what crap, these people claiming health issues from Wind Farms must prove their point, which to date it cannot because every acknowledged study into the impacts of wind farms have come up with no link.

It appears, looking from the outside, the anxiety of these people that the wind farms will make them sick, is actually making them sick.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#184 Post by Will » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Aidan wrote: Wind farms can produce significant amount of infrasound as well as audible sound. And prolonged exposure to significant amounts of that can be harmful. The sound from wind turbines can cause some buildings to resonate. This doesn't mean wind farms shouldn't be built, but it is a serious problem that shouldn't be ignored.
This effect is called the 'nocebo' effect.

People, can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo
...and it explains most of the sickness associated with wind farms, but not all of it. Some people were initially supportive of wind farms and never thought they'd get sick as a result, but they did.

No one denies that infrasound doesn't exist.

The problem is that to date, there is no scientific evidence that it is harmful.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#185 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Aidan wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:Wind farms can produce significant amount of infrasound as well as audible sound. And prolonged exposure to significant amounts of that can be harmful. The sound from wind turbines can cause some buildings to resonate. This doesn't mean wind farms shouldn't be built, but it is a serious problem that shouldn't be ignored.
I'm going to have to ask you for a reference for that assertion.
Alas I'm going to have to disappoint you, as I can't remember my sources (except that one of them was a program on ABC TV).
The only time I've seen this idea come up was in non-peer-reviewed paper by one person.
Again, if you're restricting yourself to peer reviewed papers then you're in for more disappointment, as that's not the way I think. I'm not going to assume that every case in the world is psychosomatic until someone proves otherwise!

I'm puzzled as to what you think can't occur. That wind turbines produce infrasound? That they produce low frequency audible sound? That this can cause some buildings to resonate? That prolonged exposure to infrasound has health effects? That prolonged exposure to low frequency audible sound does?

In the absence of peer reviewed evidence I'd be reluctant to say how much it occurs, but with such a convincing explanation of why it could occur, it's up to those who say it can't occur to prove their claims.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Correct.

However, the scientific method is all we have standing between us an abject ignorance. There are many peer reviewed papers on studies that cover this subject. They all agree that the levels of infrasound are so small that there is no way any affect can be had. On the other side of this we have one person claiming that they do in a paper that hasn't been put up to peer review.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#186 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

From ABC News on line:
Oceanlinx applies for licence to generate electricity using ocean waves off south-east coast of South Australia

The Essential Services Commission (ESC) has received the first application in South Australia for a licence to generate electricity using the energy of ocean waves.

The application has been lodged by New South Wales-based company Oceanlinx.

A generator is being built off the coast from Port MacDonnell in the south-east of South Australia and all energy generated would be sold to electricity suppliers.

Oceanlinx said it could generate electricity by waves pushing air through an underwater turbine.

The ESC said the plan was for the wave energy converter to be connected to the 11-kilovolt distribution grid by a sub-sea cable and no fuel would be used to generate electricity.

It said the application would now be assessed and public comment would be taken until October 7.
cheers,
Rhino

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#187 Post by mattblack » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:48 am

New 130 turbine wind farm proposed for the North Eastern Mt Lofty ranges.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/new ... planned-sa

Vee
Legendary Member!

#188 Post by Vee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Wind turbine syndrome: Farm hosts show no ill effects.
The Independent

New video shows farm hosts of wind turbines show no signs of "wind turbine syndrome", says Professor Simon Chapman, AO.
http://www.independentaustralia.net/201 ... ent-story/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#189 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Wind turbine syndrome has been roundly refuted as psychosomatic.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#190 Post by Waewick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 am

monotonehell wrote:Wind turbine syndrome has been roundly refuted as psychosomatic.
didn't they show that of all the wind turbine syndrome claims the majority come from 2 or 3 sites in the country?

I know that no-one who hosts the wind farms as ever complained about it, which is what makes the proponents of the syndrome in the same category as the anti vac nutters.

rhino

#191 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Wind power record is blown away
Leader - Barossa Valley, Angaston SA 19 Aug 2014
SOUTH Australia's wind farms produced enough energy to meet a record 43 per cent of the state's power needs during July, according to figures released by the Clean Energy Council.

For a short period early on July 31', wind produced all of the state's power needs, as well as providing more than 90 per cent on July 8.

Output figures for the newlyexpanded Snowtown wind farm showed the facility generated 137,986 megawatt-hours of electricity in July.

Based on the state average, this was enough to power more than 329,000 homes for the month, Clements Gap, near Port Broughton, generated 15,996 megawatt-hours^ enough for more than 38,000 homes, and Wattle Point, near Edithburgh, 28,787 megawatt-hours, enough for more than 68,000 homes.

Strong cold fronts across the state resulted in very windy conditions which ultimately led to the increase in power generated by local wind farms.

"During June and July, we had several strong cold fronts pass through, the strongest for quite a while," Weatherzone's Brett Dutschke said.

"Major fronts impacted on June 22 and 23 and July 8,9,16 and 31.

"These fronts generated wind gusts of 80 to 90km/h at Stenhouse Bay, Edithburgh, Minlaton, Kadina and Moonta, with the strongest recorded at Edithburgh being 91km/honjuly8.

"Wind typically starts increasing from June to October, but this year it became quite strong earlier than normal.

"Edithburgh recorded wind gusts of 74km/h or stronger on four days during July, the highest number of windy days in July in seven years."
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#192 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:39 pm

That's impressive. So basically for a 'short time' on July 31 wind power / renewable energy provided 100% of the states electricity needs. No carbon emissions from electricity. Just 100% clean, green power. Now that it's actually been achieved, and isn't just the pipe dreams of environmentalists, that's actually a pretty proud badge to wear. Let's hope the momentum continue and that 50% becomes the norm. This is a great outcome, 6 years out from the 2020 Australia wide RET target of just 5%.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#193 Post by ml69 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 pm

rhino wrote:Wind power record is blown away
Leader - Barossa Valley, Angaston SA 19 Aug 2014
SOUTH Australia's wind farms produced enough energy to meet a record 43 per cent of the state's power needs during July, according to figures released by the Clean Energy Council.

For a short period early on July 31', wind produced all of the state's power needs, as well as providing more than 90 per cent on July 8.

Output figures for the newlyexpanded Snowtown wind farm showed the facility generated 137,986 megawatt-hours of electricity in July.

Based on the state average, this was enough to power more than 329,000 homes for the month, Clements Gap, near Port Broughton, generated 15,996 megawatt-hours^ enough for more than 38,000 homes, and Wattle Point, near Edithburgh, 28,787 megawatt-hours, enough for more than 68,000 homes.

Strong cold fronts across the state resulted in very windy conditions which ultimately led to the increase in power generated by local wind farms.

"During June and July, we had several strong cold fronts pass through, the strongest for quite a while," Weatherzone's Brett Dutschke said.

"Major fronts impacted on June 22 and 23 and July 8,9,16 and 31.

"These fronts generated wind gusts of 80 to 90km/h at Stenhouse Bay, Edithburgh, Minlaton, Kadina and Moonta, with the strongest recorded at Edithburgh being 91km/honjuly8.

"Wind typically starts increasing from June to October, but this year it became quite strong earlier than normal.

"Edithburgh recorded wind gusts of 74km/h or stronger on four days during July, the highest number of windy days in July in seven years."
Seriously?? I'm no energy expert, but with a healthy dose of scepticism, I find that incredibly hard to believe. Can anyone else out there validate this data? What is the % of wind power in warmer months when the winds are less?

If it's true, that is quite a stunning fact. We would have to be one of the world leaders in terms of wind power generation.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by Wayno » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:15 pm

I question the language used:

We produced and provided heaps of wind energy but how much was actually used in lieu of other sources? More balanced reporting is required. For example the corresponding % decrease in fossil fuel usage during July.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#195 Post by Vee » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:35 am

Some snippets on Wind Power.
Ketan Joshi posts snapshots of real-time information on energy and useful insights, resources via social media.
Here is one example of wind power output for several states from last week.

http://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/50224 ... 29/photo/1
via @KetanJO

Other recent egs, via Ketan, include this graphic.
https://datawrapper.de/chart/rnNIm/

Renew Economy is a good source of current information on renewable energy - Australia and global.
http://reneweconomy.com/

Wind energy helps to reduce the spikes in pricing during peak demand periods especially in SA and Victoria. And, of course, use of fossil fuels.
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/fossil- ... ergy-60368