#Official Mining Thread

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The Mining Thread

#31 Post by Ho Really » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Not sounding negative, but let's hope those mining projects and growing townships up there get the water they need or else they'll have to pipe it from the Northern Territory... :shock:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by rogue » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Ho Really wrote:Not sounding negative, but let's hope those mining projects and growing townships up there get the water they need or else they'll have to pipe it from the Northern Territory... :shock:

Cheers
Part of this proposal includes a desalination plant in the Whyalla region to supply water for Olympic Dam and greater Eyre Peninsula. If approved, it will be jointly funded by BHP and the state and federal governments.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by crawf » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:26 pm

thats massive

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:16 pm

I have nothing to say it's all gooood ha ha!

skyliner

#35 Post by skyliner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:08 pm

yeh! So much for all the negativity the state gets! Looking forward to a hugely revitalised state and Adelaide for a very long time. However I have difficulties with the desal planr being in the gulf - should be further south.
Jack.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:37 pm

Because its for Olympic Dam and going to supply water to the Spencer Gulf towns.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 pm

It's just getting bigger and bigger! This is why if I was a betting man, I be betting on SA building the first nuclear power plant in the country. Going to need a lot of power soon!

Ho Really

#38 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:04 am

rogue wrote:Part of this proposal includes a desalination plant in the Whyalla region to supply water for Olympic Dam and greater Eyre Peninsula. If approved, it will be jointly funded by BHP and the state and federal governments.
I knew of this. I made a comment elsewhere on this forum I think regarding its position at the top of the Gulf and whether it was going to be approved or not on environmental reasons.
skyliner wrote:...However I have difficulties with the desal planr being in the gulf - should be further south.
I have reservations too about this. In my opinion it would be better to have a plant further south where the sea (ocean) is more open. There was mention the impact would be minimal or insignificant. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Anyone like my pie-in-the-sky idea of a pipeline from the NT? :roll:

Cheers

Ho Really

#39 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:08 am

Bulldozer wrote:It's just getting bigger and bigger! This is why if I was a betting man, I be betting on SA building the first nuclear power plant in the country. Going to need a lot of power soon!
It's possible. The question is: would Mike Rann want a nuclear power plant? If it went to an election and the state Liberals supported it (which you would think so) would that be the end of a Labor government or are there too many people against it?

Cheers

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:15 am

Ho Really wrote:
Bulldozer wrote:It's just getting bigger and bigger! This is why if I was a betting man, I be betting on SA building the first nuclear power plant in the country. Going to need a lot of power soon!
It's possible. The question is: would Mike Rann want a nuclear power plant? If it went to an election and the state Liberals supported it (which you would think so) would that be the end of a Labor government or are there too many people against it?

Cheers
Im sure Port Pirie would be happy for a Nuclear power plant to be built near them

rhino

#41 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:55 am

Ho Really wrote: Anyone like my pie-in-the-sky idea of a pipeline from the NT?
I have heard of this idea before, including piping NT water into the upper tributaries of the Murray Darling system in Qld and letting it come south that way. There are some rather serious environmental concerns with this idea. Tropical fungii, animal and plant diseases, and even cane toad eggs could end up down here. Severe filtration may solve these problems, I don't know how practical it would be. One thing's for sure : there's a lot more water up there than they need. However, there's enough water down here for us too, all we have to do is capture it. In the end, would we be better off piping and filtering NT water to SA, or capturing and filtering Adelaide's own runoff, which is more than enough for our needs?

Now, back to mining...

Things are looking better and better at Oxiana's Prominent Hill Mine. I wonder if we could end up with another decent mining town like Roxby Downs up in the desert?
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#42 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:09 am

Cruise Control wrote:Im sure Port Pirie would be happy for a Nuclear power plant to be built near them
Why Port Pirie?

Cheers

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:09 am

rhino wrote: Things are looking better and better at Oxiana's Prominent Hill Mine. I wonder if we could end up with another decent mining town like Roxby Downs up in the desert?
whats there at prominent hill (besides the mine, which i know about)? i was never aware of much.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#44 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:12 am

Ho Really wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:Im sure Port Pirie would be happy for a Nuclear power plant to be built near them
Why Port Pirie?

Cheers
A few months back i remember their mayor speaking quite favourably of a plant after the federal goverment located them them as one of many potential sites in SA for a plant.

Ho Really

#45 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:15 am

rhino wrote:I have heard of this idea before, including piping NT water into the upper tributaries of the Murray Darling system in Qld and letting it come south that way. There are some rather serious environmental concerns with this idea. Tropical fungii, animal and plant diseases, and even cane toad eggs could end up down here. Severe filtration may solve these problems, I don't know how practical it would be. One thing's for sure : there's a lot more water up there than they need. However, there's enough water down here for us too, all we have to do is capture it. In the end, would we be better off piping and filtering NT water to SA, or capturing and filtering Adelaide's own runoff, which is more than enough for our needs?
What you say is true. In fact these issues were brought up at the last WA state elections when the Liberals wanted a pipeline or channel built from the Ord River. The idea is there anyway and the filtration solution as well, should they want to take it.
Now, back to mining...

Things are looking better and better at Oxiana's Prominent Hill Mine. I wonder if we could end up with another decent mining town like Roxby Downs up in the desert?
I don't have a map handy. Is Prominent Hill close to Coober Pedy? If yes, there may be no need for another township, but just expansion.

Cheers