Kangaroo Island | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#U/C: Southern Ocean Lodge | Kangaroo Island

#1 Post by Howie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:51 am

A boost for KI.
Luxury resort for KI

JESSICA HURT, TOURISM EDITOR
October 02, 2006 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

A LUXURY resort planned for Kangaroo Island could help solve South Australia's shortage of regional luxury accommodation.
A decision on whether the $12 million Southern Ocean Lodge, planned for a site in Hanson Bay on the island's southwest coast, is approved, is expected within weeks.

The proposed development has sparked controversy over environmental concerns. If approved, it is expected to generate about 35 full-time jobs.

Baillie Lodges plan to develop a premium, nature-based tourism facility, including 25 suites and a spa retreat at Hanson Bay.

Lodge guests are predicted to spend more than $7 million a year on the island, with a further $1 million a year likely to be spent on the mainland.

Some KI residents fear the planned lodge would be a bushfire risk, while Conservation Council of SA president Jane Corin said the council was concerned that tourism imperatives were over-riding good environmental planning and decision making.

"This state runs the risk of long-term environmental degradation as a result of short-sighted development decisions,"she said.

"Hanson Bay is a pristine wilderness environment, situated between two conservation areas, and needs stringent environmental protection to remain so."

A National Tourism Investment Strategy research report in July revealed regional South Australian centres lacked the upmarket accommodation to attract big tourism dollars.

In the past few months, however, regional South Australia has been given a boost with the opening of Rawnsley Park's four new luxury eco-villas, the Murraylands' first five-star accommodation, Riverview Rise Retreats, and the re-development of the Barossa retreat, Peppers The Louise.

A Kangaroo Island source said: "Australia doesn't have a lodge like this. New Zealand has five or six. If it was developed, it would be Australia's best lodge experience."

If approved, construction is expected to start next month, with the lodge opened late next year or early 2008. Developer James Baillie from Baillie Lodges said the island "was missing a higher end nature-based lodge."

South Australian Tourism Alliance chairman Les Penley said the location could not be better.

"If this is not approved, given it complies with all regulations required and developers have done a huge amount of work, it will be a sad day for tourism development in this state," Mr Penley said.

Tourism Kangaroo Island's marketing manager David Honner said four-star or higher accommodation was one of the real growth areas in the Australian domestic market.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

luxury apartments

#2 Post by stelaras » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 pm

wow

i hope this gets approval.....Ive been wanting a reason togo back to JI with my fiance for ages....she hasnt been there before..so a plush 4-5 star resort would be awesome...

Steve

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:35 pm

It would be awsome, but its it going to destroy the nearby environment then it should be rejected

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Edgar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:28 pm

Can't wait to get to Kangaroo Island, but I hope the ferry fare would be a little more reasonable.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Article: Luxury resort for KI

#5 Post by aussie2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Southern Ocean Lodge opening early 2008 - South Australia's first 6 star hotel, Australia's second.

http://www.baillielodges.com.au/lodge.asp

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 am

Thanks mate.. here's the flyover i've uploaded onto youtube.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by bmw boy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:03 am

looks great, better get approved

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:27 am

Its already halfway through construction!

johnd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by johnd » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Looks great, though comparing it at all with the Gold Coast's Palazzo Versace, is a little precious; the Palazzo Versace foyer’s floor would have to be worth more than $12m. Like most things (developments) in SA I'll believe it when I see it.

Pity some one couldn’t come up with a similar resort at West Beach, near the site of the failed “Wool Shed”. It’s a prime location, a pretty nice Beach front, adjacent to a golf course, 5 min’s from the Airport and only 10 km’s from the CBD.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:07 pm

Heres some more info i posted in the regional projects guide thread last night, if you haven't noticed

Aussie2000 wrote:the source is from the adevertiser news section on 3 mobiles 'news service', sometimes updates before Adelaide Now

ARTICE NAME/DATE: Lure for the rich and famous/Mon 16 Jul, 1:05pm

Kangaroo Island's Southern Ocean Lodge is due to open early 2008, work has already started and the 'staff village' is complete already. It will be SA's first 6 star hotel and Australia's second after the Gold Coasts Palazzo Versace. the construction as reached HALF WAY MARK and is on target to open March 1 2008. the lodge will target North American and Northern European Tourists as well as the luxury market in Australia. international visitor make up 39% of tourists, while during winter it is over half. this project will make way for simmilar style accomodation. will have 21 guest suits when complete. rates for the 12 million dollar lodge will be starting at 900 dollars a night.

Though it will be know as a 6 star venue, there is debate over the use of the term, as australia's rating system extends only to 5 star

SO IT SHOULD BE CHANGED TO U/C (THIS IS NOT THE STORY IT IS JUST MAJOR POINTS FROM THE REAL ONE)
http://www.baillielodges.com.au/lodge.asp

THANKS

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #U/C: Southern Ocean Lodge (K.I.) 6-Star Resort

#11 Post by Adamo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:55 pm

what i don't get is why are hotels now giving themselves 6 star ratings when the international hotels board only goes up to 5 stars... i just don't get it

i am sure its going to be great at KI anyways regardless
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:35 pm

Im going to build a hotel and give it 1000 stars!!!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Cruise » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:59 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Im going to build a hotel and give it 1000 stars!!!
if you do im gonna build a 1001 star hotel just to be better lol

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:23 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:Im going to build a hotel and give it 1000 stars!!!
if you do im gonna build a 1001 star hotel just to be better lol
BASTARD!!!! lol

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Diamond » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Out of all the other places in Australia, why is our second 6-star hotel on Kangaroo Island??? :?
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007