Murray Bridge | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Message
Author
User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 752 times
Been thanked: 1298 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#136 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm
6 Level hotel for Murray Bridge

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... hments.pdf

Image
I wonder how much the new Tailem Bend Motorsport Park is influencing this? My understanding is that there isn't much in the way of hotel accommodation in and around the track
I would say it is a big factor. I would expect another 1 or 2 to be built in the nearby area in the coming years once the track is a proven success.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5414
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 319 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#137 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Aaaand approved.
Murray Bridge Bridgeport Hotel to be revamped into six-storey, 100-bedroom hotel
Erin Jones, Regional Reporter, The Advertiser
April 18, 2018 8:10pm

AN 1880s country hotel will make way for a six-storey high-end development, boasting 99 bedrooms, an outdoor pool and alfresco terrace, in Murray Bridge.

The Development Assessment Commission last week approved an application by EDP Hotels to demolish the local heritage-listed, Bridgeport Hotel.

EDP Hotels, formerly the Eureka Hotel Group, had spent six years modifying the plan, which includes a lounge bar, outdoor play area, gym and drive-through bottleshop. The cost of redevelopment is unknown.

Artist's impression of the new Bridgeport Hotel, at Murray Bridge.
The DAC found historical modifications to the 1884 building had significantly diminished the heritage value and it negatively impacted on the amenity to streetscape.

The new 23.5m-high building, on Bridge St, was found to meet the Murray Bridge Council’s desired character of the area “to create a more attractive and better functioning centre”.

The council previously said the redevelopment would change the urban fabric of Murray Bridge and had the potential to catalyst further development.

The Bridgeport Hotel was opened in 1885 and expanded in 1910 to cater for a number of travellers wanting to stay overnight. EDP Hotels was contacted for comment.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#138 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am
SouthAussie94 wrote: I wonder how much the new Tailem Bend Motorsport Park is influencing this? My understanding is that there isn't much in the way of hotel accommodation in and around the track
I would say it is a big factor. I would expect another 1 or 2 to be built in the nearby area in the coming years once the track is a proven success.
It is possible that the hotel redevelopment was planned anyway, even without The Bend. Yesterday's Murray Valley Standard article refers to an article from Dec 2016, which says they had been planning for four years at that stage.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 752 times
Been thanked: 1298 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#139 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:42 pm

SBD wrote:
Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am
SouthAussie94 wrote: I wonder how much the new Tailem Bend Motorsport Park is influencing this? My understanding is that there isn't much in the way of hotel accommodation in and around the track
I would say it is a big factor. I would expect another 1 or 2 to be built in the nearby area in the coming years once the track is a proven success.
It is possible that the hotel redevelopment was planned anyway, even without The Bend. Yesterday's Murray Valley Standard article refers to an article from Dec 2016, which says they had been planning for four years at that stage.
Yes, but the Motorsport Park has also been in the works for quite a few years. Hard to say really.

flaneur
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#140 Post by flaneur » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 pm

there has also been a jump in enquiries for housing and accommodation in Meningie

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#141 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 pm

I visited the latest Murray Bridge Green shopping complex on the weekend and I noticed when I was walking through the top car park that there were many cracks on the surface, for a not very old carpark is that bad?

eKwatee
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Mawson Lakes SA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#142 Post by eKwatee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm

flaneur wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 pm
there has also been a jump in enquiries for housing and accommodation in Meningie
The former Railway accommodation at Tailem Bend has been turned into a group accommodation as a direct result of the motor sport park

https://www.facebook.com/tailembendbunkhouse

with plenty more investment being undertaken in the Coorong District as per the article see article https://coorongrealty.com.au/coorong-pr ... le/page/2/ and https://www.thebend.com.au/news/bend-mo ... g-district

Surely short term accommodation in Murray Bridge, Tailem Bend and surrounds will continue to grow as the interstate and international visitors start to arrive for the bigger events. People got to stay somewhere if they don't live in the area.
Matt

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#143 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:45 pm

eKwatee wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm
flaneur wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 pm
there has also been a jump in enquiries for housing and accommodation in Meningie
The former Railway accommodation at Tailem Bend has been turned into a group accommodation as a direct result of the motor sport park

https://www.facebook.com/tailembendbunkhouse

with plenty more investment being undertaken in the Coorong District as per the article see article https://coorongrealty.com.au/coorong-pr ... le/page/2/ and https://www.thebend.com.au/news/bend-mo ... g-district

Surely short term accommodation in Murray Bridge, Tailem Bend and surrounds will continue to grow as the interstate and international visitors start to arrive for the bigger events. People got to stay somewhere if they don't live in the area.
I don't think I'd invest in accommodation on the Adelaide side of the Murray until after the bridge is duplicated, and there is no public plan for that yet. Tailem Bend, Murray Bridge East or Wellington East would be good options I suspect.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#144 Post by Eurostar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Pie Face is now in the United service station on Princes Highway at Murray Bridge

Also Drake Foodland has opened too.

d3v310per
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#145 Post by d3v310per » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:47 am

New Thomas Foods abattoir to create 2000 jobs at Murray Bridge
Thomas Foods International will invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a new abattoir at Murray Bridge that will employ thousands of people when it hits peak production.


Thomas Foods International will invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a new abattoir at Murray Bridge that will employ thousands of people when it hits peak production.

The new abattoir will be located 10km from the town centre and 8km from the old abattoir, which was destroyed by fire in January, 2018 and will replace that facility.

The abattoir will employ about 400 people initially but ramp up to 2000 jobs at its peak.

It previously employed 1200 people before the devastating blaze.

The facility is set to begin production by November 2020.

Thomas Foods International CEO Darren Thomas said Thursday’s announcement re-affirmed the company’s comittment to rebuild following the fire.

“We plan to build the best, most-advanced multi-species processing facility in Australia, if not the world.”

“We want our facility to be world class in adapting the latest advancements in technology, efficiency, environmental sustainability, animal welfare and workplace safety.

“This is the single-biggest investment by our company in its 30 year history and on a scale not seen in our industry for many years.

“It’s also our long-term commitment to our community, staff, customers and livestock suppliers throughout South Australia and Australia.”

The abattoir will be built in stages, with the beef processing facility to be finished first.

Premier Steven Marshall welcomed the announcement and said the state and federal governments were helping to “unlock economic potential and create more jobs” by funding new road and utility infrastructure to the new Murray Bridge site.

Mr Marshall called the abattoir project “a massive boost for the regional economy, exports and jobs”.

“This will ultimately grow our meat exports in the future, which is a crucial pillar of our state’s food and agribusiness industry.

“This is a proudly South Australian company that is a great advocate for promoting our state’s amazing premium produce in overseas markets.”

Infrastructure Minister Stefan Knoll said funding in regional infrastructure made SA’s regions more attractive places to invest.

“Without strong regional infrastructure, we wouldn’t see businesses of this scale choosing to invest in South Australia,” Mr Knoll said.

The company had no construction start date but was eager to begin “as soon as possible”.

Mr Thomas said the company set its sights on rebuilding from “day one” after the fire.

“The fire was a major disruption to the business and the lives of many of our people, not just in Murray Bridge but right across our operations.

“But we’re a positive and resilent family company.

“Rather than lament what was lost, we’ve chosen to focus on emerging bigger, better and stronger.”

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#146 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Anyone know where this site exactly is [10kms out of Murray Bridge]? Btw, has Marshall ever said exactly where his Globelink hubs ie airport, train etc would be located and would you expect this site to be near it?? The other thing is how accessible will this be for the 2000 employees that they need?

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2892
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#147 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Monarto is 10km from Murray Bridge ... plenty of space there.

But 8km from the current abattoir makes me think it will be north of town.
cheers,
Rhino

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#148 Post by SBD » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:39 pm

rhino wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:25 pm
Monarto is 10km from Murray Bridge ... plenty of space there.

But 8km from the current abattoir makes me think it will be north of town.
My guess is on Monarto Road, somewhere near where there is proposed to be a large solar farm, and there are already a couple of chicken farms with an empty paddock between them, opposite the back of the zoo. It would depend on whether a meatworks is permitted that close to the chicken farms and their associated houses, and to the zoo.

Depending which block, it could be in Monarto, Pallamana or Rocky Gully. Commercialrealestate.com.au has one on the market in Pallamana that seems to fit the distances.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#149 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:10 pm

I would say they have already secured a site before making this announcement and doubt they would be looking at any still for sale/on the market.
An article below I found talks about the potential airport & transport hub being at Monarto... so maybe this area is likely for Thomas foods?
https://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au ... ht-bypass/

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Murray Bridge | Developments & News

#150 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:19 pm

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Anyone know where this site exactly is [10kms out of Murray Bridge]? Btw, has Marshall ever said exactly where his Globelink hubs ie airport, train etc would be located and would you expect this site to be near it?? The other thing is how accessible will this be for the 2000 employees that they need?
Given the combined populations of Murray Bridge, and Mount Barker is around 30000, with probably an additional 10000 in their immediate surrounds, and given those locations struggle with unemployment, I would say the new facility would have plenty of workers to choose from all within about 30 minutes drive.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests