Mount Gambier | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Mount Gambier | Developments & News

#1 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:54 am

Apartment complex on former hospital site
RHIANNON HOYLE, REAL ESTATE EDITOR

April 03, 2007 02:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

A SEVEN-storey apartment complex has been approved for the site of the former Mt Gambier hospital.
The project, which will include 61 new residences and have 180-degree views over the city, was passed by council last week.

Sky Towers will include a mix of one, two and three-bedroom apartments, penthouses and townhouses to the rear.

The development is being marketed and sold through Brock Harcourts North Adelaide. Selling agent Andrew Fox said two of the three penthouses had already been reserved by local businesspeople.

"They were reserved very soon after the proposal was released," he said.

"It is encouraging and already shows the strong interest in the project."

The multimillion-dollar complex has been designed by Michael Fielder Architects and is being developed by local company Boots & Partners.

Construction will begin on the vacant structure over the next 12 months.

"This ground-breaking and exciting development will change the face of this prominent landmark," Mr Fox said. "It has been very much anticipated. The project is progressive, modern and will be seen as a great achievement for Mt Gambier as the state's largest provincial city." The apartments will be sold off in staged releases.

Prices for the new homes have not yet been decided.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#2 Post by Pistol » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:55 am

Crawf you are bloddy quick!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:37 am

Haha, i went onto the AdelaideNow website to look for something and saw the headline for apartment complex for Mt Gambier so I quickly jumped on here and posted it.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 am

The render in today's paper looks awesome.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:16 pm

This is a huge vote of confidence in the city! However this does not surprise me, in that I visited Mt Gambier in January and found that for a regional city, there were quite a few developments around, but also a noticeable amount of new homes. The local council should now lobby the appropriate people for the establishment of a campus of UNI SA down there. Mt Gambier could then become a regional education hub.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:30 pm

Times are changing, mid-high rise developments are becoming more and more popular in regional areas.

Both Wallaroo and Port Lincoln currently have a mid-rise under construction, and theres plans for low/mid-rise developments in Ceduna, Port Wakefield, Mildura, Victor Harbor and now Mt Gambier. - but it is certainly great news for Mt Gambier :D, just hope now they can get a University Campus now.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by shuza » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:52 pm

Would this be Mount Gambiers first 'hi-rise'? Or are there others?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:43 pm

shuza wrote:Would this be Mount Gambiers first 'hi-rise'? Or are there others?
There already is a 5-6 level building which is an apartment complex. It used to be the Mount Gambier Hospital and was converted into apartments 3 years ago. The Civic Centre is 4 levels I think.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by skyliner » Sat May 12, 2007 10:09 pm

EXCELLENT news Crawf.

The 4 - 5 level structire is the okl nurses home. A friend of mine fitted it out with fire equipment when converted to apartments some years ago. The actual hospital was stripped and abandoned due to extensive asbestos use. The buildings were bought by two brothers - they got the nurses home developed and the 'brains' behond the project died, leaving it in limbo for some years as an empty shell. The Hospital was five floors. ( I spent mush time in it as a boy - always sick with asthma). Sounds like a two level increase. GREAT for MG.

Also found a huge country club was proposed for MG west recently, (In the order of $100,000,000 with golf course, housing estate and convention centre. I understand Mr Scott has had something to do with it. (Scott's Transport).

Also there has been talk for at least two years of a UNI SA campus being established in MG - WILL happen due to the sie and location of the city - a top place.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Sun May 13, 2007 1:17 am

Awesome!

skyliner

#11 Post by skyliner » Sun May 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Howie, can you get the renders onto this thread - love to see them.
To site overlooks the city from the top of the edge/ridge of the volcanic crater so that views see back into the crater, the Blue lake and over the entire city - magnificent -had a look in 2004 from the site itself me being me!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Sun May 13, 2007 5:23 pm

I'll see what i can come up with buddy. :D

skyliner

#13 Post by skyliner » Sun May 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Thanks Howie.

Also, from my post of 12/5/07, I omitted the development of all the Riddock Highway into MG as 4 lanes (except the last 400 - 500 metres into Bay road/Commercial St lights. Coupled with the prospects of the Penola mill and railway re-opening Mg is really moving. I can see
30 000 population in the foreseeable future.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Cruise » Sun May 13, 2007 8:22 pm

skyliner wrote:Thanks Howie.

Also, from my post of 12/5/07, I omitted the development of all the Riddock Highway into MG as 4 lanes (except the last 400 - 500 metres into Bay road/Commercial St lights. Coupled with the prospects of the Penola mill and railway re-opening Mg is really moving. I can see
30 000 population in the foreseeable future.
i suppose when you say the riddoch highway should be 4 lanes your also saying the dukes highway should be 4 lanes to? (from murray bride to keith) how far is that? 350 kilometres? that would be prohibitively expensive my guess (just a guess mind you) is that it would cost about 1.5 billion dollars

skyliner

#15 Post by skyliner » Sun May 13, 2007 9:29 pm

what I meant Cruise Control was that the Riddock Hwy going through the MG built up area is being converted.

I assumed people would have worked that out considerng any other option was rediculous. May I add that now no road into MG will be less than 4 lanes except the Pt. Macdonald Road and it's linked White ST. connection.

I have seen most places in NSW and VIc and a good number in QLD and would have to say this is something special for a regonal city of 24000 and obviously speaks of above average levels of road usage or anticipated increased road transport.

I apologise for my unclear expression.

What i do know is that the Penola mill contingency plans say that if the rail option does not work, they will do something about the Riddock Hwy connection to MG to cope with greatly increased traffic. (check Protavia's site).