Port Lincoln | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: Dean Lukin's great white golf plan for Port Lincoln

#91 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 pm

It is an awesome proposal, but a 20 YEAR plan???

I can't wait 20 years to see this happen. Also we need much more than just a golf course if we're ever going to attract tourists to SA.

The government needs to take a look at what Queensland and WA are doing.

SA is just a joke when it comes to tourism, but it has so much potential and that's what annoys me!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#92 Post by crawf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:50 pm

pushbutton wrote:It is an awesome proposal, but a 20 YEAR plan???

I can't wait 20 years to see this happen. Also we need much more than just a golf course if we're ever going to attract tourists to SA.

The government needs to take a look at what Queensland and WA are doing.

SA is just a joke when it comes to tourism, but it has so much potential and that's what annoys me!
The 20 year plan is for the entire project, eg resort, commercial precinct. But it does state that it could be completed before 2032.

What do you expect this development to include, Disneyland in Port Lincoln?

Give the developer some credit for wanting to build this in SA and not another state or overseas.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by pushbutton » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:23 am

I give the developer HUGE credit for having the vision and commitment to do this in SA. It's the SA government and the SA tourism commission I was having a go at.

They should be encouraging a lot more major projects along these lines, and they should be designating certain huge parcels of land exclusively as future tourist attraction development zones. That's what happens in all the major cities in the world that have tourism.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#94 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 am

I don't man to pour salt on the idea, it is a great vote of confidence in Port Lincoln to attract big development,
But why would anyone I'm the world care if they were playing on a golf course thats in the the shape of a shark? or a seahorse, or a lion for that matter? Golfers play at the ground-level, not in the air looking down on the course.

Plus I think the very idea they want to model the design into a shark is tacky. The best golf courses are the ones that provided competitive play against beautiful natural backdrops and challenging course conditions such as woodlands, sand dunes, watercourses, even the weather, etc.

Maybe if they were playing on a course surrounded by shark infested waters, that could be somewhat interesting!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Dean Lukin's great white golf plan for Port Lincoln

#95 Post by Aidan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I don't man to pour salt on the idea, it is a great vote of confidence in Port Lincoln to attract big development,
But why would anyone I'm the world care if they were playing on a golf course thats in the the shape of a shark? or a seahorse, or a lion for that matter? Golfers play at the ground-level, not in the air looking down on the course.
It won't have much effect in play, but it's a great reason for them to come to play there in the first place. People are attracted to unusual golf courses. I'd expect many overseas visitors to do the shark on their way to or from the course that's stretched out across the Nullabor.
Maybe if they were playing on a course surrounded by shark infested waters, that could be somewhat interesting!
A new kind of water hazard?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Port Lincoln | Developments & News

#96 Post by Will » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:50 pm

From the Port Lincoln Times:
5-storey approval

By Olivia Barnes
Dec. 15, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

A FIVE-STOREY building at 37-38 Tasman Terrace was given development approval by the Port Lincoln Development Assessment Panel on Monday night.

The panel approved Lowe and Redding Design’s proposal to demolish the existing building and construct a five-storey mixed use building.

Plans for the building consist of three retail spaces at ground level and eight upper level apartments with car parking at the rear.

Port Lincoln City Council executive director of development and environment Rosa Gagetti said the panel wrote to adjacent owners and occupiers to notify them of the proposed development.

“The Development Assessment Panel considered the report and granted development plan consent as it wasn’t seriously at variance with the policies in the development plan,” she said.

She said the panel was careful in its decision and the height of the development was of some concern but the application “was in balance”.

Planning consultant Ben Green said in his report to the panel that the building was consistent with future development potential despite exceeding the general height limit for its zone.

“The proposal is consistent with the progressive development intent of the zone and policy area, which encourages redevelopment on the foreshore of Boston Bay to take advantage of the natural vistas, increase the local population and create a vibrant economically strong regional centre,” he said.

Concerned resident Andrew Chappell was at the meeting and said the town planning system had failed the Port Lincoln community.

“It is evident that somewhere along the line council’s intentions have been hijacked and the developers will have a free hand to choose whatever building height they feel like through policy area six, along Tasman Terrace,” he said.

He said the decision meant the community could no longer expect building height limits to be enforced
5-storey height a ‘broken promise’

By Olivia Barnes
Jan. 5, 2016, 4:54 p.m.

THE Port Lincoln Development Assessment Panel’s decision to approve a five-storey building on Tasman Terrace has disappointed some of the councillors who helped develop the city’s building height plan.

At the last council meeting, deputy mayor Neville Starke said he was “disgusted” with the decision to approve the development as it contravened the council’s building height plan.

“After employing consultants to come up with some ideas, we had numerous workshops, consulted with the community, amended some of the contentious issues and duly adopted the city centre building height plan,” Mr Starke said.

Mr Starke said he thought the city's building height plan was well considered and a promise to the community about how the city would look in the future.

He said at the time of developing the plan there were residents who were protective of their views or opposed change.

"Some of us as councillors received personal criticism for wanting to modernise the future face of our foreshore precinct.”

Mr Starke said the plan intended to “bookend” the foreshore with the Lincoln Hotel at one end and the silos or another tall building at the other with gradually lower buildings being allowed until a three story maximum was reached in the middle.

“Our three-storey skyline has a five-storey blip.

“It is a waste of time and money to go through all the planning, workshops, consultation and decision making if council decisions are ignored,” Mr Starke said.

Mr Starke said he wanted the community to know that while the Development Assessment Panel was council elected it was independent of the council and its decisions were a separate matter.

“I would like the DAP, in future to abide by the building height plan,” he said.

Councillor and panel member Jim Papazoglov said he thought Mr Starke's comments about the panel’s decision were out of order and the panel had made a decision based on all the evidence presented to it.

Port Lincoln mayor Bruce Green said the concerns raised by Mr Starke were not out of order as the decision made by the panel “appeared to fly in the face of the building height plan”.

“For one particular building the plan didn't apply and Mr Starke represented how a large number of the community feel about the decision,” Mr Green said.

The applicant declined to comment.
images of the proposed building are here:

http://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/stor ... l/?cs=1500

http://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/stor ... e/?cs=1500