Port Lincoln | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#31 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:44 pm

I agree, this is a great development for Port Lincoln. It would attract more tourists. It could also be the impetus for cruise lines to include Port Lincoln as a port of call between Fremantle and Adelaide. They would need to build a pax terminal somewhere in their harbour and improve other tourism infrastructure including upgrading their airport. I think the state government allocated money for a runway extension. Not sure if that went ahead after the collapse of Paul Stoddard's OzJet.

Eccentric Port Lincoln mayor Peter Davis also indicated he would offer Boston Island as the location for SA's nuclear power plant.

As long as the resort and housing development is environmentally responsible I hope it sees the light of day. Good onya Peter Davis.

Cheers

Algernon

Re: Boston Island Resort

#32 Post by Algernon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:57 am

rhino wrote: "We want it to continue to be available for public use," Ms House said. "Better than that, we want people to feel even more welcome to use it than they do now, because at the moment most of the island is privately owned."
By the Mayor of Port Lincoln.

skyliner

#33 Post by skyliner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 pm

JRJ from QLD again

Howie said, 'Gee there's not much in them is there?) concerning Whyalla, Pt. Pirie, Mt. Gambier and Pt. Lincoln.

If you look at the last 20 years of growth for each you will see Whyalla has dropped from 30000, Pt. Pirie city from 15000 whilst Pt Lincoln has grown from around 10000 and Mt Gambier from about 18000.

In addition, have you heard of the PENOLA PULP MILL being approved about 40 Km. from MT Gambier - an approx. $650M deal with a sister mill being built at Heywood in western Vic.This is to cater for the bluegum takings coming online soon. IN conjunction with this is a proposal to re open the SE railway at least from Penola to Portland in Vic. (Possibly all the system will be opened again.) The Pulp mill people want this to happen.

My Gambier stands to make population and economic gain from this. ABS estimate figures give M.G. pop. to be about 24000 now.

A great and unique place!! Love it down there!!.

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#34 Post by Captain Howdy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:15 pm

What does Port Lincoln have to offer in the way of tourism? I have never been there. Hopefully this will go well :D

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by JAKJ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Captain Howdy wrote:What does Port Lincoln have to offer in the way of tourism? I have never been there. Hopefully this will go well :D
Harbout, Harbour Islands, Surrounding national park.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 pm

Plus Port Lincoln has more millionaires per captia...

Mants
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by Mants » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:33 pm

crawf wrote:Plus Port Lincoln has more millionaires per captia...
that doesnt really mean that the tourism is going to be any better than somewhere else, i.e., Victor or Goolwa.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:14 am

Virgin Blue could be soon flying to Port Lincoln after it confirmed it would soon be operating a 70-seat jet aircraft. If it does happen it would have weekly flights to Sydney or Melbourne or even both. This would boast tourism in Port Lincoln and the Eyre Peninsula...

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#39 Post by Captain Howdy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:42 am

That's great. I'd love to see regional SA really start to pick up. SA show em what you've got!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:45 pm

so would i...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Port Lincoln Latest News

#41 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:11 am

Rex pushes new regional area in terminal to end buses
Billie Harrison

REGIONAL Express passengers flying to Adelaide can look forward to using the new terminal again soon.

Rex managing director Geoff Breust said the airline was working with Adelaide Airport to develop a long-term solution for regional passengers to avoid a long walk to and from the aircraft.

Mr Breust said the airline was hopeful work would start in the next 12 months to create a regional terminal as part of the new terminal next to the Rex check-in.

The taxi area would also be removed so Rex planes could park closer to the terminal, reducing the walk for passengers.

Currently Adelaide-bound Rex passengers get off the plane and board a bus, which takes them to the old international terminal.

Regional passengers departing Adelaide still check in at the new Adelaide Airport terminal.

The barrier dividing incoming and outgoing passengers in the walkway was taken down last week to increase the width of the walkway for outgoing passengers.

Mr Breust said the bus was working well and people were happy with this temporary system but Rex's aim was to return to the new terminal.

Rex was also keen to work with the Lower Eyre Peninsula District Council on the business plan being prepared for the Port Lincoln airport.

Lincoln terminal talks

Mr Breust was on Eyre Peninsula last week for discussions with the council about upgrading the airport.

Mr Breust said the current Port Lincoln terminal needed work, including more seating, a larger check-in and baggage handling area, and more storage.

The baggage collection process also needed to be looked at, he said.

Rex is looking at increasing services to Port Lincoln and including leaving a plane in Port Lincoln overnight for a 7am flight to Adelaide, which would enable better connections and a longer day in Adelaide.

"It's something we have under consideration," Mr Bruest said.

He said the key to growing the market was "incremental" increases in frequency of flights, rather than introducing larger planes with higher capacity.

"If you go to a 70-seat or a 95-seat aircraft that is a substantial jump.

"It's our belief that those sort of services are a long way off in reality."

Mr Breust said the introduction of larger aircraft like Embraer 170s or 190s, which Virgin Blue has recently purchased, would require significant upgrades to the taxiway, runway and terminal.

New hotel boost

He said the opening of the new hotel next year would be a huge boost for Port Lincoln and give Rex the ability to introduce more flights.

"We can go 12, 13, 14 services a day if we need to meet the demand."

Mr Breust was positive about the new Spencer Gulf Ferry because he said it would compliment air services by targeting a different market.

"I think it's a positive thing because the ferry will continue to open up the lower half of the Eyre Peninsula."

Rex's increased passenger numbers since Qantas left Port Lincoln has led to tightening up of baggage weight requirements, Mr Breust said.

"Right across our whole network we are carrying more people than we ever have," he said.

"Because there are a lot more people travelling we really don't have the space or capacity to uplift it all.

"We have a 15 kilo limit on all checked baggage and what we are doing is enforcing that quite stringently."

The airline is also charging for excess baggage as a deterrent and so people who do the right thing are not disadvantaged.

http://portlincoln.yourguide.com.au/det ... =12&y=2006

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by AtD » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:11 pm

I was watching the little Rex area from inside T1 yesterday, and seriously, the walk isn't that far. Stop whining.

Algernon

#43 Post by Algernon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:05 pm

AtD wrote:I was watching the little Rex area from inside T1 yesterday, and seriously, the walk isn't that far. Stop whining.
I flew rex Lincoln-Adelaide on Sunday, and the bus ride to the terminal was quite long.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 pm

how much did the plane trip cost?
Last edited by crawf on Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by Pistol » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:06 pm

I am hoping they don't charge you for a ride to the terminal!!!