Port Lincoln | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#16 Post by Algernon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:06 pm

In terms of population not really.

But there's some pretty big differences otherwise. The air in Whyalla, Port Pirie and Port Augusta (which just trails Port Lincoln in the population stakes) smells like the most vile toxic shit known to man. The fucken air in Whyalla glows at night time, roll the windows up.

Mount Gambier has the blue lake. Port Lincoln has Boston Bay. Both bloody nice spots.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Howie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:08 pm

sounds nice.. there's something on abc.net.au i think about the pollutants in whyalla. seems pretty bad.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks for sharing those pictures Algernon, it definately gives us a good perspective of the size of this development.

Just drifting off topic slightly, but I am alarmed at the rapidly declining population of Whyalla. A decade ago the population was 27 000 and in the late 1970's it had a population of 35 000.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Howie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:46 pm

A more realistic render from courtesy of Woodhead.

Algernon

#20 Post by Algernon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 pm

I like the old proposal a little more, but that's not to say the current design is bad!

In a way it reminds me of the north tower on 223 North Terrace.

Algernon

#21 Post by Algernon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:41 pm

There's a bit of funny business with that render. I'm told that the site is actually about 50m further back from the beach, and there's 2 fark off big trees inbetween the building and the beach.

Just on the structural design, the first 2 levels are standard poured concrete, and the rest is a precast job.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by AtD » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Isn't that false advertising?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:18 pm

I much prefer the old proposal. The new one, whilst it looks nice it is not very inspirational.

This trend is starting to annoy me, Why is the architecture of buildings dumbed down when construction starts?

Walkinshaw
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#24 Post by Walkinshaw » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Will wrote: This trend is starting to annoy me, Why is the architecture of buildings dumbed down when construction starts?
Unfortunatly the clients pockets are not infinatly deep.

Just a note, CFA piling finnished Wed 5th.
I should have logged in 1st.

Inground FRP work will commence after Easter. Then look out for an intresting lift shaft for a 6story building

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Will » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Will wrote: This trend is starting to annoy me, Why is the architecture of buildings dumbed down when construction starts?
Unfortunatly the clients pockets are not infinatly deep.

Just a note, CFA piling finnished Wed 5th.
Then if this is the case, what is the reason that when a new building is initially proposed, the developers have to produce a sexed up version of what will eventually be built. Isn't this fraud and deception.

Just look at City Central Tower 1, the Santos tower and the IAG building. The intial renders of these buildings were much better that the finished product.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:16 pm

Walkinshaw wrote: I should have logged in 1st.

Inground FRP work will commence after Easter. Then look out for an intresting lift shaft for a 6story building
Thanks walky :) Nice to see you posting mate.

Algernon

#27 Post by Algernon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Will wrote:Just look at City Central Tower 1, the Santos tower and the IAG building. The intial renders of these buildings were much better that the finished product.
Wow, you have seen the finished products?

What are the numbers for the next lotto megadraw, and will my sports illustrated football phone arrive, or was it sent to the wrong house?!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Will » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:52 pm

Algernon wrote:
Will wrote:Just look at City Central Tower 1, the Santos tower and the IAG building. The intial renders of these buildings were much better that the finished product.
Wow, you have seen the finished products?

What are the numbers for the next lotto megadraw, and will my sports illustrated football phone arrive, or was it sent to the wrong house?!
You know what I mean.... :roll:

And the winning numbers for this saturdays lotto are: 3,10,12,19,34,40 and the supps are: 24,45

rhino

Boston Island Resort

#29 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:21 pm

Some news from today's Tiser:

RHIANNON HOYLE, REAL ESTATE EDITOR
A MARINA, a five-star resort and as many as 1000 housing allotments may be included in a proposal to develop Port Lincoln's Boston Island into a residential and tourism centre.

Owner and Port Lincoln mayor Peter Davis - now undertaking a State Government Plan Amendment Review of the island - has likened his vision to the popular holiday spot of Magnetic Island, off the north Queensland coast.
"The concept is only in its very early stages," he said.

"But . . . I guess I see a couple of marinas, and maybe about 1000 allotments on the island. It has the potential to be South Australia's Magnetic Island."

The proposal is being drawn up by planning and urban design group QED. Director Georgina House said a social, economic and environmental report had been prepared, and would soon be submitted to State Government for approval.

She said the farmland property had the potential for a mixed development, but would still retain the national park, which takes up about half of the 1000ha island in the middle of Boston Bay.

"Our plans include a mix of housing, potentially a marina, and a tourism development," she said.

"This could be anything from locals coming across simply to fish on the island, to eco huts in a nice natural setting through to a five-star resort. "But the bulk of the island will be preserved and enhanced as a fantastic natural environment." This would include a range of walking and bike trails.

Ms House said the idea was for the island to support itself economically. "We want to protect it still, but enhance its potential," she said.

"And what we have done in the review is come up with a better long-term future, I believe."

She said one of the biggest concerns was to ensure that local people did not feel restricted in their use of the island.

"We want it to continue to be available for public use," Ms House said. "Better than that, we want people to feel even more welcome to use it than they do now, because at the moment most of the island is privately owned."
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:03 pm

great news for Port Lincoln

btw I hope you dont mind, ive added this to my regional projects thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... ost8109083