Adelaide Hills | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: More Development for Mt Barker

#46 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 am

They have also upgraded Mt Barker Road, so its alot smoother now.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by JamesXander » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:37 pm

You mean the Freeway? They dump all the ripped up road at the Footy Ground. Bastards.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:24 am

Yeah Transport SA is currently upgrading the freeway, but I'm talking about the main drag in Hahndorf.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:26 am

Well Bunnings is set to open up a outlet on the cnr of Adelaide Road & North Terrace in Littlehampton (barker suburb). I would say it will only be a mini hardware store, because I highly doubt there would be the demand for a large warehouse and the site isn't big.

Construction for Stage 1 of the Barker Plaza expansion is progressing well, with steel frames now up and the new park n ride/interchange is set to open early next month - it looks pretty good.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Mt Barker Update
- Stage 1 of the Barker Plaza Redevelopment is nearing completion and looking pretty good
- Reject Shop has recently opened where Coles used to be (apart of the Stage 2 Barker Plaza R/D)
- Construction has commenced on the 2 level carpark on Cameron Street
- Construction has commenced on the Woolworths expansion (Stephen Street will soon be closed for good)
- Barker Hotel R/D is starting to look good, with the construction of new balconies.
- The large Bluestone housing estate is progressing well
- Powerlines have been put underground along Dutton Road and slowly being done on Hurling Drive

Plus the last remaining building on the future Big W site has been demolished, so hopefully we will finally see some progress on this eyesore.

Also there is news that the Bean Bar is coming to Barker (aswell as Gloria Jeans)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:00 pm

crawf wrote:- The large Bluestone housing estate is progressing well
Are these new houses built in colonial style? I hope they do a good job and have decent ceiling heights and high-pitched corrugated iron roofes (rooves?)...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Any idea how many allotments/dwellings are in the Bluestone estate, Crawf?
Wayno wrote: Are these new houses built in colonial style? I hope they do a good job and have decent ceiling heights and high-pitched corrugated iron roofes (rooves?)...
Just roofs, sir. :wink:
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:40 pm

SRW wrote:
835 allotments, the layout of the large estate is now in the latest edition of the UBD

http://www.bluestonemtbarker.com.au

Plans have also been released for 176 homes on the cnr of Hartman & Sims Roads and 70 new homes in Littlehampton.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 pm

Hopefully they'll fix up Hurling Drive though, it's currently in a very bad condition.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#55 Post by Strangled Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 am

Hey guys

I live in Mount Barker and see the developments on a daily basis. A lot is happening, albeit very slowly. They took 2 years to finish Adelaide Hills Toyota! Other road projects are also taking a loooooooong time too, but at least it's happening. Bunnings was also supposed to be finished by Christmas 2008 but they havn't done work for months. One mentioned here, being Hotel Barker is coming along quite nicely though. Work has been pregressive, and by looking at it I think there's only another month or two worth of work before the outside is complete. Im not sure when it's supposed to be completely finished. When it's done I'll see if I can get a few pics, as well as some of other recent developments.

P.S. Anyone know if a KFC is coming to Mt Barker? I've heard rumours for years, but nothing has ever eventuated. Maccas is just too full during lunch times and weekends, we need another fast food outlet here. Murray Bridge, Mitcham or Eastwood which are the closest KFC's are just too far away!

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#56 Post by Strangled Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 am

crawf wrote:
SRW wrote:
835 allotments, the layout of the large estate is now in the latest edition of the UBD

http://www.bluestonemtbarker.com.au

Plans have also been released for 176 homes on the cnr of Hartman & Sims Roads and 70 new homes in Littlehampton.
It's good to see that this estate has been going full steam ahead. Everytime I go past it, usually once a week there's always a few more houses that have gone up (not literally in a week but you know what I mean). This estate as well as the one on Alexandrina road are really starting to make the last remaining old houses look very out of place. Some of the old houses bewteen Wellington and Alexandrina Roads (which people don't maintain well) look like they've been plucked straight from Smithfield (sorry if I've offended anyone who lives there).

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#57 Post by Strangled Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 am

Also the Woolies expansion is almost complete, as the extended section has now been opened up to the public. They still need to sort out the decor, some lighting and electrical stuff as well as the floor and the shelves. Once completed, this will make it one of the largest wollworths I've been to in the state, and probably the largest regional one. I'm guessing the signage will change too, in line with Woolworths new corporate image.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#58 Post by skyliner » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Add to the mix that Mt Barker will grow at a 50% rate to over 41 000 by 2026. (See DEMOGRAPHICS thread in the 'pub').One of the fastest growing areas in Aust. (in the top 10).

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#59 Post by Strangled Cat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 am

I doubt it will keep growing at that rate. I don't think they will let it sprawl to twice the size that it is already.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:31 pm

That population figure is for the whole Mt Barker council region, Mt Barker itself is only around 14,000 (incl Littlehampton).

Woolies wasn't very big before the reno, so now its just the average size for a Woolworths.
Strangled Cat wrote:I live in Mount Barker and see the developments on a daily basis. A lot is happening, albeit very slowly. They took 2 years to finish Adelaide Hills Toyota!
Its a joke that it took 2 years to complete the car showroom, yet the council built a 2 level carpark in a space of just a few months. The Barker Hotel redevelopment has taken for ages to be finished aswell.

Another joke is the large vacant block of land smack bang in the heart of Mt Barker, there has been quite a few proposals that have never seen the light of day including office development, Big W, KFC etc... Its probably been vacant for over 5 years now.

BTW lived in Mt Barker for 4 years right up till late last year :P.