Connect the Gawler and Outer Harbor rail lines

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.

Connect the Gawler and Outer Harbor rail lines

Postby GoodSmackUp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 122 times

Gives better access to the Port River Precinct, a viable public transport option to workers in Wingfield and Port Adelaide and would allow a inner north loop service.

I don't get why this doesn't already exist, the corridor is already there. Although the junction at the east end would need to be pretty complex to allow freight trains to pass uninterrupted
GoodSmackUp
High Rise Poster!

Re: Connect the Gawler and Outer Harbor rail lines

Postby Norman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:06 pm

A service between Port Dock and Dry Creek used to run until about 30 years ago, but there was a lack of patronage that caused the line to close.

The line between the stations is also a freight line, but is dual gauge as far as I remember.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_Creek ... ilway_line
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Connect the Gawler and Outer Harbor rail lines

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Yes, the line is dual gauge, though the broad gauge rail is disused and I don't know if it's intact over the entire length of the line.

AIUI the former passenger service detoured via Rosewater, and ran to GMH Elizabeth.

Alas with the PREXY parallelling it, I'd expect there to be even less demand for it now than when regular services ceased. But I do think there's great potential for a bus link via Cormack Road to link Port Adelaide, Gillman, Wingfield and Dry Creek station... and possibly also Mawson Lakes.

And in the very long term I'd like to see a monorail running alongside that line and on to TTP via Northfield.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Return to Visions & Suggestions