The state of Goodwood Road

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

The state of Goodwood Road

#1 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:14 pm

I drive down this road pretty consistently and was wondering if there are any plans in the pipeline to attempt at fixing this annoying and dangerous stretch of road.

Personally, I think all they need to do is remove on street parking as there is ample amount of side streets and back parking for people to adequately continue to shop there.

With cars parked along the sides even in non-peak times it's a bit of a russian roulette driving down as cars will be turning right and so if you are in the left lane you have to dodge the parked cars. It seems like bad planning having the shops front so close to the road that any widening couldn't take place.

Thoughts?

P.S Unley road has similar problems to this too...and it is very dangerous. A friend's brother was killed by a rear end car accident whilst on a Scooter last year.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: The state of Goodwood Road

#2 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:39 pm

Yeah goodwood's bad, unley's probably worse in my opinion, it's really only a one lane road most of the time. Perhaps the best people to talk are in the state gov, they should have a schedule to fix goodwood road if there are enough complains that warrant it.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Pistol » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Goodwood Rd, Unley Rd, Glen Osmond Rd. They are all as bad as each other and are a disgrace considering that each of them is a major transport thoroughfare. Remove on street parking and watch the businesses cry foul. Keep the on street parking and listen to the drivers bitch and moan. What can you do?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Shuz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Both roads simply need to have side-parking removed, and allocated to rear-end parking garages behind the shops.
The side streets cannot accomodate parking adeqeutly - for they too turn into 1 lane nightmares for both directions of traffic.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by bmw boy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:40 pm

I was actually thinking about this not long ago. Goodwood Rd Mainly Between the underpass and to greenhill road road intersection is terrible.

It would be good if the least they did was ban parking during peak hours. Many businesses in that stretch have have rear parking, but if a few more houses were aquired behind it would be good... and turned into rear parking, which could be a relatively easy fix, without too much hassel. That could possibly lead to a total ban during all times....
Unley road on the other hand is abit different, with higher land values and more pristigous houses (i would assume).

In the part of Goodwood rd where the showgrounds stretches is choas, when the show is on obviously and all the other expo's they have there and uni exams also cause some problems. I think it would be advantagous for at this time if they did something such as widening it, since they are redevlopeing the showground frontage... only problem being the pergeot showroom and those new appartments i suppose which cant really be moved inwards (but im no road expert so i dont know how much that would help).

The condition of the road is also very terribly bumpy, as it also is just down the road between greenhill and the Sth Tce, West Tce, Goodwood rd, Anzac Hwy Intersection.

:2cents: :2cents:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:36 pm

I sometimes drive down Goodwood Road, and I also share the same frustrations. Street parking should definately be removed, as it slows the flow of traffic, and forces people to drive like maniacs.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:58 pm

The council probably keeps the parking as it's a pedestrian dense area. They want to reduce the volume of though traffic, slow traffic down and provide a barrier between traffic and pedestrians, improving the safety of pedestrians. It's an issue of who has more right to a road; those who drive down it but don't stop; or those who do stop for local business. Considering the number of parallel roads and major public transport alignments, the council have probably have decided in the above case the latter are more important. Probably not unrelated is the fact that local businesses and their customers can vote in LGA elections, while commuters from way down south can't.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by bmw boy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:03 pm

you always have the answers when it comes to roads dont you AtD lol :lol:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AG » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:49 pm

During peak hours, parked cars shouldn't really be an issue since these roads are Clearway zones. However, the clearways should be extended to all times. For most of those roads, there is already plenty of existing parking space in nearby side streets and provided carparks. Also, bus stops should be reconstructed into bays (where possible) separated from the left lane to prevent blocking traffic on the left lane. These two changes were adopted for the Portrush Road upgrade several years ago, and as a result the flow of traffic is much smoother.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:38 pm

IMO when i drive up goodwood and unley road I would change lanes at least 4-5 times before reaching greenhill road every time without fail.

Highly annoying but after a while you get used to it.

Majority of this traffic in peak hour is commuters heading home to the southern suburbs.

A lot of this traffic does not really need to be there, they are taking this road because it leads back to south road, rather than taking south road from anzac hwy. This is the same deal for marion road, which is coming up week after week in the marion messenger being labeled "as bad" as south road.

You will see IMO, a lot of traffic removed off goodwood road if we have a fully grade separated north/south freeway. So no point really doing anything to goodwood road. Adelaideians are becoming rat runners, being sneaky and taking alternate routes, clogging them up as well.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:56 pm

AG wrote:During peak hours, parked cars shouldn't really be an issue since these roads are Clearway zones. However, the clearways should be extended to all times. For most of those roads, there is already plenty of existing parking space in nearby side streets and provided carparks. Also, bus stops should be reconstructed into bays (where possible) separated from the left lane to prevent blocking traffic on the left lane. These two changes were adopted for the Portrush Road upgrade several years ago, and as a result the flow of traffic is much smoother.
Sorry but I disagree, allowing cars parking on the side of Goodwood Rd allows the shops to survive, and it also causes a traffic calming affect. It does causes congestion, but this forces cars to drive slower, instead of zooming along at 60km+ in a highly historic and dense suburb. I do agree though that roads to the south are bad.
Question: There is a existing train line to Tonsley. Why on earth cant this be extended a short distance over Sturt Rd and build a interchange near the intersection of South Rd and Flinders Medical Centre Rd. Virtually all traffic from the outer south passes through here. All buses from the south terminate and interchange to faster trains to the city. Build a multi-storey car park to cater for the thousands of commuters that would park and then train into the city, and the line would serve the Flinders med Centre and only the 2nd largest uni campus in Adelaide. This is so simple its stupid. There was a proposal in the 1980's or 90's, where did it go? The land is still there for it to happen. This would lessen the pressure on Goodwood and South Rds to the city. Good old Adelaide!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 pm

A suggestion here, I reckon making goodwood road a one way road between cross roads and greenhlll road could be a solution to the problem of traffic congestion, and keep business's happy at the same time. Seems to work in Sydney?? Maybe even do the same thing for king william road and unley road in alternate directions?

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by bmw boy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:33 pm

jk1237 wrote:
AG wrote:During peak hours, parked cars shouldn't really be an issue since these roads are Clearway zones. However, the clearways should be extended to all times. For most of those roads, there is already plenty of existing parking space in nearby side streets and provided carparks. Also, bus stops should be reconstructed into bays (where possible) separated from the left lane to prevent blocking traffic on the left lane. These two changes were adopted for the Portrush Road upgrade several years ago, and as a result the flow of traffic is much smoother.
Sorry but I disagree, allowing cars parking on the side of Goodwood Rd allows the shops to survive, and it also causes a traffic calming affect. It does causes congestion, but this forces cars to drive slower, instead of zooming along at 60km+ in a highly historic and dense suburb. I do agree though that roads to the south are bad.
so you are saying that having a whole line of parked cars along the stretch of goody rd in question (mainly between under pass - tramline) and...
- cars turning across opposite traffic into side streets... and causing a long line of cars behind to stop and wait... untill a break in traffic often minutes later
- cars dangerously merging in and out the left hand lane and the right, due to the parked cars... usually with a quick indication and then change lanes immidiately... not the legal 3 seconds
all which might I add occurs when drivers are travelling at 60.... most dont slow down even with these added obsticles.
is a safer option???
I disagree, so much so that i actually feel abit edgy when driving along there in peak.

If you want trafic to be slow then change the speed limit to 50.....

Pedestrians and people parking will be safer as they are not near the Main road... and are in side streets and rear car parks. And if people also stick to using the lights when crossing the road... it shouldnt be dangerous if cars are travelling at the speed limit.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:14 am

To drive to work, I have to drive up Unley Road on some weekends during the day, and it's such a hassle weaving through the parked cars and right-turning cars. Hell, it's dangerous. The same could be said about Goodwood Road. I would support a 24/7 Clearway on both roads.

While we are on roads, has anyone else seen the huge cracks in the road on the Keswick Bridge? I think they should resurface this patch ASAP, you would think the bridge is going to collapse at any moment now.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#15 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am

Firstly, the road needs clearway 24/7. Its as simple as that.

The best solution I think, would be to implement suicide lanes for peak-hour. Goodwood road is a 2x2 between Greenhill Rd and Edward St/Grange St intersection. For mornings, say 6am-11am, it should be a 3x1, with traffic focused into the city. 1130am-130pm, reverts back to a 2x2, and by 2pm to 7pm, it should be 1x3 away from the city. 730pm-530am it would operate as per normal 2x2.