Ideas for a greater public transport system

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: Ideas for a greater public transport system

#346 Post by adam73837 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:22 am

[quote="monotonehell]
Resleepering some of the lines and getting the current fleet of 2000 and 3000s up to scratch would be a good stop gap. And while we're doing that, a properly planned and implemented review of the entire PT system is in order. Something that will see us into the "next century" (that we're already in).

Not just something that caters to the Sprawl. Something that does that but at the same time encourages transport corridors with high and medium density development. A PT system that serves the current paradigm as well as bringing on the next.[/quote]
Well said!
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#347 Post by adam73837 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:58 pm

JUST FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT LIKE TO SEE WHAT THE GENERAL PUBLIC THINKS OF OUR CURRENT GOVERNMENT, HERE'S A POST FROM ADELAIDE NOW:
Watch this space at the next election Mr Conlon! I predict you going on a short trip yourself.

Posted by: Citizen of Adelaide 2:52pm May 02, 2008
This shows that our citizens may be waking up a bit and expanding their views!!! :D :D :D
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#348 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 pm

adam73837 wrote:JUST FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT LIKE TO SEE WHAT THE GENERAL PUBLIC THINKS OF OUR CURRENT GOVERNMENT, HERE'S A POST FROM ADELAIDE NOW:
Watch this space at the next election Mr Conlon! I predict you going on a short trip yourself.

Posted by: Citizen of Adelaide 2:52pm May 02, 2008
This shows that our citizens may be waking up a bit and expanding their views!!! :D :D :D
I wouldn't read Adelaide Now comments too much if I were you. Your IQ will start to drop ;)

But "Citizen of Adelaide" might be onto something there. But not for any reasons that we've touched upon here on S-A. The govt is under a lot of presure from the unions over the WorkCover shortfall. But then again who ever heard of unions voting for the Libs?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#349 Post by shiftaling » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:49 am

Didn't know where to post this, so I found the most general looking thread title I could

This isn't meant to be a plug but I just thought people might like to know that UniSA are doing a free public lecture on Adelaide's PT system. It's on 8th July at 6 pm, at the City East campus. I'll definitely be going - I miss the brainfood of uni days :)

http://www.unisa.edu.au/giftofknowledge ... #crossroad

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#350 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:37 pm

I'll probably go as well... maybe I'll bring my little project along as well ;)

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#351 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:34 pm

shiftaling and Norman, if you guys go can you take some notes? Or let us know if anything is reported in the media or posted on a (uni) website elsewhere. Thanks.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#352 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Ho Really wrote:shiftaling and Norman, if you guys go can you take some notes? Or let us know if anything is reported in the media or posted on a (uni) website elsewhere. Thanks.

Cheers
Taking notes at Uni? What does that mean? :lol:

Yeah, I may do a small write-up if it's any good.

Ho Really

#353 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Norman wrote:Taking notes at Uni? What does that mean? :lol:

Yeah, I may do a small write-up if it's any good.
That's good enough. Thanks Norman.

Cheers

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#354 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Ultimately if we think past the petrol, oil, co2 crisis I think the car will still win. People will always want to do their own thing, particularly in a City like Adelaide with so much decentralization, urban sprawl and low density. All manufacturers are now only 3-5 year away from full electric vehicles. These vehicles will be quiet, nonpolluting, run for a fraction of the cost of petrol and can be recharged for free on home voltaic systems. You will be able to run an electric car for a whole week on the cost of a one way bus ticket to the city so why would you use public transport?. A post oil world will be a totally different place than most think.

Ho Really

#355 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Jim wrote:Ultimately if we think past the petrol, oil, co2 crisis I think the car will still win. People will always want to do their own thing, particularly in a City like Adelaide with so much decentralization, urban sprawl and low density. All manufacturers are now only 3-5 year away from full electric vehicles. These vehicles will be quiet, nonpolluting, run for a fraction of the cost of petrol and can be recharged for free on home voltaic systems. You will be able to run an electric car for a whole week on the cost of a one way bus ticket to the city so why would you use public transport?. A post oil world will be a totally different place than most think.
The car won't die overnight as you said, it will still be the best form of transport if made efficient, etc., but we need good public transport for many good reasons. It would obviously the most convenient form of transport for those who cannot drive (or are unwilling to), like the young (children, students), the less well off and the seniors. It also plays an important part in the social-economic fabric of a city. We can have our cake and eat it too!

Cheers

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#356 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Jim wrote:Ultimately if we think past the petrol, oil, co2 crisis I think the car will still win. People will always want to do their own thing, particularly in a City like Adelaide with so much decentralization, urban sprawl and low density. All manufacturers are now only 3-5 year away from full electric vehicles. These vehicles will be quiet, nonpolluting, run for a fraction of the cost of petrol and can be recharged for free on home voltaic systems. You will be able to run an electric car for a whole week on the cost of a one way bus ticket to the city so why would you use public transport?. A post oil world will be a totally different place than most think.
The car won't die overnight as you said, it will still be the best form of transport if made efficient, etc., but we need good public transport for many good reasons. It would obviously the most convenient form of transport for those who cannot drive (or are unwilling to), like the young (children, students), the less well off and the seniors. It also plays an important part in the social-economic fabric of a city. We can have our cake and eat it too!

Cheers
Yes I agree it will be a happy compromise, I just think in planning for future transport needs we must be carful not to base them only on today’s perceptions of a petrol/oil crisis.
I don’t think you can underestimate self interest in planning and if people like traveling independently and with electric cars they can do it cheaply, quietly with out polluting they will want to do it. I do think as we have talked here about light rail, there will be a corresponding “light car” electric, quiet, light, cheap, and inexpensive to run, and only requiring the maintenance an electrical appliance (none)
Taking this approach, rather than investing in metro transport systems. The real need when the petrol / aviation fuel runs out will be the electrification of regional and interstate train systems.

Bring on "light cars" How good would the city be with the petrol guzzlers of the road, most heavy transport back on rail, and most commuters in light, quiet, and pollution free cars. Sort of gofers on speed.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

Re: Ideas for a greater public transport system in regional SA

#357 Post by Pat28 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:57 pm

To state the bleeding obvious, PT in Regional SA is shite.
Idealistically, Regional Rail to Major centres such as Mt Gambier and Whyalla would be best despite few minor logistical and monetary problems. So we have buses instead, that do not really connect, that are loosely linked on a Website that has not been updated since 2005, whose ticketing does not but should correspond with City Transport in all Centres (inc Adelaide and Mt Gambier etc), whose livery represents some sort of disunity. Maybe SA needs a CountryLink V/Line-esque system that works.
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#358 Post by Somebody » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:25 pm

You mean a train service from Southern Cross Station (Melbourne CBD) to Mount Gambier, or from Adelaide? :twisted:

Sorry, I was just thinking about what city Mount Gambier is closest to ;) ;)
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#359 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:44 pm

The closer city isn't the better city ;)

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#360 Post by Somebody » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:08 pm

That's a good point Harvey Norman! :lol: :lol: :P
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.