other sites for a new stadium?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Mants
Legendary Member!

Re: other sites for a new stadium?

#46 Post by Mants » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:29 pm

wilko91 wrote:I couldnt agree more. The south or west parklands are the way to go. Both have train or tram access and are currently just turning to dust with water restrictions. After living in Melbourne for the past 18 months you see how much easier it is to get to the MCG or Telstra Dome, plus all the extra money spent at local venues before and after the match. Its time to wake up, even Perth is getting a new 60 million dollar stadium....
its actually a 60,000 capacity stadium

the cost is FAR greater than $60m

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#47 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Perths stadium is costing them $850m.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Edgar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Here's what we could do to the parklands:

Just what it would look like, not necessarily got to have The Dome, the Soccer and Cricket Stadium, but is an ideal location under my assumption.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:38 pm

edgar, be sure to squeeze an oil well in your plans to pay for it all. :D

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#50 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Wow. I can hear the NIMBY outcry over here in Melbourne.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by Omicron » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:00 am

I'd have to join them, I'm afraid. The parklands are far too much of an example of successful urban planning to cover over to that extent.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#52 Post by Cruise » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:09 am

edgar_raphael wrote:Here's what we could do to the parklands:

Just what it would look like, not necessarily got to have The Dome, the Soccer and Cricket Stadium, but is an ideal location under my assumption.
Ok, thats going to far

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 am

I know, you dont need to fit everything in, it's just to showcase how well those 4 lots of parklands can be utilised for any one of those purposes.

Perhaps the lot where I fit in 'The Dome' (junction of Anzac Highway - South Terrace), is the perfect spot for a new stadium?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by JamesXander » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Call me crazy, but after looking at that map, we have got a perfect location...The Wayville showgrounds. Replace the oval with a stadium.

Makes sense to me, kind of close to the city, Parklands= Carparks.

Wayville would be used nearly all year long, move the Show forward a couple of weeks just incase finals are played there. :) Am I onto a winner fellas?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Isn't that oval heratige listed? And there would be too many exhibition buildings in the way.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#56 Post by Shuz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:18 pm

I've come to a conclusion.

Seeing as AAMI Stadium looks to be securely located as the city's football venue and the hospital appears set to be built on the railyards site. Really, we already have our inner-city stadium. It's called Adelaide Oval.

Following standard procedure in raising the profile of a tourism destination (finally I can put this to use after learning Tourism concepts in school) there are 3 factors that assist in ensuring the success of a tourism destination. They are attractions, accessibility, and amenities.
  • It's centrally located, right in the middle of the city and North Adelaide. Accessibility +1.
    The surrounding location is a sports precinct, training grounds opposite the oval, tennis courts, Memorial Stadium adjacent. Attraction +1, Amenities +1.
    The proposed footbridge will enhance access. Accessibility +1
    It'll be recieving a substantial upgrade to 40,000 seats and improved member facilites. Amenities +1.
    Any future tramline extension to North Adelaide will again improve accessibility to the venue. Accessibility +1.
    An underground carpark has been proposed adjacent the stadium. Accessibility +1
    SACA are open to other events utilising the venue - A-League fixtures, rugby, cricket, concerts, etc. Attractions +1.
    And it's the world's best and most pictureseque ground. Attractions +1
    Further investment in public facilites - improved seating, toilets, kiosks, lighting, and other consumer convinience goods. Amenities +1.
The only thing that negates Adelaide Oval is its capacity constraint, without further jeopardising its character and image, but I think with substantial effort and consideration, we can cater for a temporary capacity of 50,000. An idea of mine, would involve demolishing the Bradman stand, and rebuilding a larger stand that connects to the current Member's stand. Whilst this would marginally lift capacity (an extra 2-3k), any increase is an increase after all.

Honestly, after much thought, and I mean a lot of thought. We do not need another stadium, we already have a sporting precinct (its just under-utilised at the moment) and given the chance to invest in the area, the economic benefit would outweigh the returns given back into the city moreso than any new $1.5b stadium on the railyards. A $50m tramline extension, a $200k footbridge, a $90m upgrade, and another $100m or so on improving things here and there is much, much cheaper than any $1.5b stadium.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#57 Post by Cruise » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:47 pm

I would like to see the bradman and chapel stands torn down and replaced with steeper, higher capacity stands

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#58 Post by Ho Really » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Cruise wrote:I would like to see the bradman and chapel stands torn down and replaced with steeper, higher capacity stands
That's a start in the right direction, steeper stands, but you won't see FIFA World Cup matches at Adelaide Oval or a whole season of Adelaide United A-League matches there. The ground is not flat, it has a hard-surface centre square (for cricket) and the goal ends (north and south) are too far away from the crowd. Only two sports (maybe even polo) are ideal for Adelaide Oval and that's it. I think we should leave it at that...unless of course the whole thing is redesigned from scratch and we lose the world renowned cricket ground. Take your pick.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

cinema4
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by cinema4 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:33 pm

santos seems like the best location to me. put a multi storey carpark next to or on top of the netball centre - those skirts should either be playing at the entertainment centre or the 36ers dome, or else learn to kick leathery balls and play grass games. a tram running to the airport from victoria square and a large capacity rail station might be constructed and extend the café set on grote to west terence elliot. there's no reason why we can't leave the running track at the santos site and simply erect 50 000 tiered seats around it. boom boom ching.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by muzzamo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:02 pm

My vote is for a tram extension and an upgrade of Adelaide oval, along with a rail/light rail extension to aami for the football and some possible upgrades there too. Total cost < $300m.