other sites for a new stadium?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: other sites for a new stadium?

#61 Post by mattblack » Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 am

I actually posted this in the CBD form but thought i would post it here as well seeing its pretty appropriate.

My opinion is that Adelaide cannot possibly support a independent sporting facility. It must be a multi use stadium with multiple sporting codes in mind for the most effective long term use. If AUFC went it alone it would stand more or less idle for more or less half the year. Financial russian roulette.

Talking about the placement of the stadium puts us in a bit of a bind. I do agree with certain aspects of having the hospital on Nth Tce, great central acess for all and the gov is looking to keep Nth Tce a cultural and educational hub. Seeing that the hospital would be a state of the art educational facility it does make sense. On the other hand it would be fantastic to have a stadium in the heart of the city. The government is not against a staddium being built, it is against sending $1billion of its (our) money to do so with so many other major projects on thier list. It would take the SANFL, AFL and AUFC to come together in a joint proposal and mega bucks for the government to take the issue seriously. What about this for a proposal with these other issues aside.

With the hospital staying where it is porposed(looks like it is set in concrete), why can a stadium not be built on the south links golf course on the corner of Morphett St and Memerial Dr. Memorial Dr would become a sporting bolouvard with riverfront frontage, sesational walkabe access to the city and pre exsisting facilities at Adelade oval and the tennis centre. A similar south bank stlye promanard can be develpoed. Tram and transport access could easily be upgraded and extended with an interchange (access to the railway station could be made possible from Morphett St bridge) A sporting acadamy (Afl and soccer) should also be incorporated to increase its viability outside game days. The north links golf course would be extended on land that is not taken up by the new facilities into a single course (at the moment split north and south), this would also cause a buffer of land between the stadium and Nth adelade residents. What other city has 2 golf courses on its doorstep? Talk about catering for the few. There would also be plenty of room along side the hospital for maybe a entertainment plaza or extention of the convention centre, whatever.

Its nice to be talking about such exciting changes that are now a real possibility for Adelaide. Lets not make it a us v them (hopital v stadium) debate and try to come up with innovative soulutions to a nice problem to have.

cheers

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by Ho Really » Fri May 02, 2008 8:50 pm

mattblack wrote:My opinion is that Adelaide cannot possibly support a independent sporting facility. It must be a multi use stadium with multiple sporting codes in mind for the most effective long term use. If AUFC went it alone it would stand more or less idle for more or less half the year. Financial russian roulette.
Adelaide already has several independent sporting facilities in AAMI Stadium, Hindmarsh Stadium and Adelaide Oval. All AUFC wants is a new larger stadium for itself. Why should it be financial russian roulette?
Talking about the placement of the stadium puts us in a bit of a bind. I do agree with certain aspects of having the hospital on Nth Tce, great central acess for all and the gov is looking to keep Nth Tce a cultural and educational hub. Seeing that the hospital would be a state of the art educational facility it does make sense.
It also makes sense to redevelop the RAH, two universities are right next door.
On the other hand it would be fantastic to have a stadium in the heart of the city. The government is not against a staddium being built, it is against sending $1billion of its (our) money to do so with so many other major projects on thier list. It would take the SANFL, AFL and AUFC to come together in a joint proposal and mega bucks for the government to take the issue seriously.
It will be very difficult to get SANFL, AFL, AUFC (and maybe SACA) to compromise without the big bucks from the gov. Even then you’ll have no guarantee they’ll work together.
What about this for a proposal with these other issues aside. With the hospital staying where it is porposed(looks like it is set in concrete), why can a stadium not be built on the south links golf course on the corner of Morphett St and Memerial Dr.
Let’s say the Marj is built on the railyards. That leaves some room up to the Morphett Street Bridge. In there you could probably fit a soccer stadium or a bus interchange, but not a multi-purpose stadium (such as Telstra Dome). As for the golf links at the corner of Morphett Street and Memorial Drive, which is parklands, unless you are willing to start WWIII you won’t see a stadium there.
Memorial Dr would become a sporting bolouvard with riverfront frontage, sesational walkabe access to the city and pre exsisting facilities at Adelade oval and the tennis centre.
Yes, but only for tennis, cricket and SANFL. The Memorial Drive Tennis Centre should have been redesigned long time ago as an enclosed stadium with a retractable roof and car parking underground. These facilities linked to the Riverbank by a single span steel and glass pedestrian bridge accessing the Railway Station, Convention Centre and North Terrace.
A similar south bank stlye promanard can be develpoed. Tram and transport access could easily be upgraded and extended with an interchange (access to the railway station could be made possible from Morphett St bridge) A sporting acadamy (Afl and soccer) should also be incorporated to increase its viability outside game days. The north links golf course would be extended on land that is not taken up by the new facilities into a single course (at the moment split north and south), this would also cause a buffer of land between the stadium and Nth adelade residents. What other city has 2 golf courses on its doorstep? Talk about catering for the few. There would also be plenty of room along side the hospital for maybe a entertainment plaza or extention of the convention centre, whatever.
The Convention Centre would be extended all the way to the Morphett Street Bridge. On the other side a bus interchange with entrances and exits to North Terrace and Morphett Street. A tram service from Victoria Square along Morphett Street to Memorial Drive and North Adelaide that services: Central Markets, The Precinct development (and other future residential towers), Uni West campus, the Lion Arts Centre, the bus interchange, the Convention Centre, Memorial Drive Tennis Centre, Adelaide Oval and O’Connell Street. Whamo!

As for the golf course, you’ll probably see it won’t change. It will remain as is.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by mattblack » Sat May 03, 2008 5:12 pm

This is a thread for ideas for stadium sites.

I fully agree with most of what you said but that is not the propasal on the table !!. The chances of these codes coming together in a powershare arrangement are around nil, maybe a little higher but not much. If we want CBD stadium, building on parklands has to be on the table (see some of the other options earlier on in this thread).

About the stadium, Im NOT against a soccer only stadium. I just cant realistically see the merit in building an open air stadium in THEBARTON which is what they are talking about. People wont be walking there, the CBD wont get the full potential out of it and you will still need specific PT to get there. I can just see another Entertainment centre/Velodrome/hockey park happening. All Im saying about the viability of the stadium is that if you build one you have to try and cater for the most potential revenue that you want to get out of it otherwise you may be cutting a large chunk of revenue off. A closed in arena obviously is far more attractive to patrons and large events and concerts that you want to attract there.

Anyway I leave it at that.

Cheers

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#64 Post by Shuz » Sat May 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Ahem, may I just correct a few people here on a fact.

The Thebarton Police Barracks is where the proposed soccer stadium will be going, however, they are not located in Thebarton! They are located opposite the Adelaide Gaol, which is in the city!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by Wayno » Sat May 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Shuz wrote:Ahem, may I just correct a few people here on a fact.

The Thebarton Police Barracks is where the proposed soccer stadium will be going, however, they are not located in Thebarton! They are located opposite the Adelaide Gaol, which is in the city!
yep, exactly! that's what is proposed.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 04, 2008 12:15 am

Right on the edge of the city ;) Oh the hell with it, let's just build a multi-stadium on Victoria Square and be done with it.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by mattblack » Sun May 04, 2008 11:43 am

Well dont i feel like a banana :oops: Still dont agree with the design !!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#68 Post by Shuz » Sun May 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Theres been a design released!? I havent seen it, care to share with us?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#69 Post by Cruise » Sun May 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Shuz wrote:Theres been a design released!? I havent seen it, care to share with us?
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 73,00.html

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun May 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Theres been a design released!? I havent seen it, care to share with us?
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 73,00.html
ugh the design looks so mediocre, where's the roof and all the unique bells and whistles????

Something like this is what i'm hoping for, 65,000 seats, roof and suspended score board hanging over the centre of the field:

Same stadium above on the exterior:

This is just one of many the world class facilities Germany built for their world cup in 2006, if we want any chance of hosting the World cup then we must have 8-9 stadiums like this or better in Australia.

cost in euros: 200million, so probably 400-500millionAUD

Ho Really

#71 Post by Ho Really » Mon May 05, 2008 12:39 am

mattblack wrote:

Matt, I thought you knew it was the barracks! Anyway, some people may not want to walk to town from there, public transport would be required. An extension of the tram line from Uni West would be ideal and for free!!

Cheers

Ho Really

#72 Post by Ho Really » Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 am

Düsseldorfer, I too like Schalke's stadium, but Fontanarosa is modelling his around Stadion Frankfurt, which I think is slightly smaller in capacity and without a retractable roof. That would make it cheaper, although as you say not as good.

Our mistake was done several years ago when Hindmarsh Stadium was built. It should have extended further south where the church and several houses are. Unfortunately those properties could not be acquired. Logic would have said we should have built a sports park at Mile End that also included a major soccer stadium and a better indoor facility than ETSA Park. A stadium may still be possible if they decided to build over the railway lines. Expensive, but possible.

Cheers

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by mattblack » Mon May 05, 2008 9:01 am

Ho Really wrote:
mattblack wrote:

Matt, I thought you knew it was the barracks! Anyway, some people may not want to walk to town from there, public transport would be required. An extension of the tram line from Uni West would be ideal and for free!!

Cheers

No more talk off my banana issues !! The trams have enough issues handling peak hour let alone 45,000 people at once, IF they ever fill the stadium :D

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Mon May 05, 2008 12:06 pm

The train station at the Marj could link up to the stadium.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#75 Post by Shuz » Mon May 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Personally, I don't like how the proposed train station sits behind the Marj.

Forward thinking here, with the proposed soccer stadium, and the Marj to be developed pretty much adjacent each other, It would be wise to have a train station directly underneath the Port Road bridge, to service the two localities in fair favour of each other. With buses running overhead, they could turn it into an interchange, and provide additional bus 'superstops' on the bridge for connecting services.

This would require closure of the Mile End station, as it stands, for it is too close in proximity to the other, but again I would relocate that to sit directly underneath the Keswick Bridge, to service the sports precinct there, where again another interchange could be made above for buses.