Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#241 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Cruise wrote:
Wayno wrote: i don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it...
May i also partake in being insane by putting a tea kettle on my head?
Please do - that'll certainly attract more people to SA!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ronaldo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#242 Post by ronaldo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

Queen Anne wrote:
ronaldo wrote:I know how you feel, Richard. I have plans to move from Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) to Adelaide at the end of 2009 with wife and son. My challenges are immense, specially in terms of language and culture. Rio is a huge city with more than 6 million people (bigger than any australian city) and a lot of problems either and we are going to an organized city of only 1,2 million inhabitants (I hope I am correct). That It will be really a big move. We have a big advantage compared to other parts of the world as Brazil is south hemisphere too and our climate is similar to Oz. So back to the topic if SA wants to attract more people you have to imagine how tough is to leave friends and relatives and go to a faraway land, aware we will seldom see them. We need to be welcome and feel like home with new friends and part of Adelaide and Australia. That is it. We are human beings. Simple. Society, you know. This feeling. Not a strange, you know.
Good luck for everybody.
Ronaldo (Rio de Janeiro)
Ronaldo, have you seen this?

http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/austral ... elaide.php

I don't have any personal experience of this group to share, but it might be worth looking into. It can be lonely, sometimes, being a new arrival in a foreign country, so meeting fellow new immigrants might help.

You are right that Adelaide has around one million inhabitants.

Good luck to you and your family :)
Thank you Anne (obrigado). I will try your link. Thanks a lot for your help.
Ronaldo

chrism4549
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#243 Post by chrism4549 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 am

Hey all,

I just wanted to comment on this thread as I spent a few hours reading through the board the other day. I'm an American living in the southeastern U.S. that's been looking at relocating to Australia on a temporary work visa (probably a 475) with my family. We love the idea of spending a few years in a foreign country and immersing ourselves in the culture and people especially one that is not too far from our own filled with really great, friendly people like yourselves.

Anyway, the area that had a lot of skills matches for potential sponsorship was SA which led me to finding this board.

One of the main concerns with getting my wife on board for the move is the simple logistics of Australia being so far away. But that's something that can't be controlled. So I'll focus on some other stuff that can realistically be addressed with helping folks get to SA.

Cost of Living:
I know SA is cheap but Oz is still fairly pricey to the U.S. with the exception of our big cities/dense (New York, DC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco). For example, my house here is the equivalent to 332 square meters (about 3,600 square feet) and would be about $425,000 Australian. That would get me a place about 1/3rd the size there. With the significantly higher income tax rate, higher food prices and so on, that's a big lifestyle change from an American perspective.

Immigration Process:
To be blunt, it's kind of a pain in the ass. Companies will only hire if I have the right to work. Yet, if I have a job offer I get more points and get faster processing but I can't get an offer unless I have the right to work... My university (I have both graduate and undergraduate degrees in Business) is ranked in the top 40 in the world yet because I didn't go to school in Australia I don't get points...If you want folks to come, you have to design the process to facilitate people to come into the country.

I would suggest that they design something that looks something like this:

Send the following electronically to a case worker:
- CV
- Citizenship/passport documentation
- Health statement
- Language statement
- Financial statement

The case worker then determines if you are up to snuff and then works with you to validate all of the above against the current skills needs list. Western Australia's process is about halfway to this -- you need to get your skills assessed first. The assessment part is pretty challenging for more 'nebulous' career like mine that are managerial and not trades-based. In truth, if I was a plumber and not a marketing and finance manager, it would be way easier for me to come to Oz.

Recruiting:
There's not much that's done to recruit folks from my part of the world. Everything is geared to the U.K. and New Zealand. Is that because folks think that they are more culturally similar or perhaps more dissatisfied with their life in their respective country? Americans, in general, have a very favorable view of Australia and it's people. We think you are very friendly, casual, and open to having a lot of fun ("have a 'nother shrimp on the barbie and Fosters, mate" all that). In terms of attracting us, I think I'd start with promoting wine (and food) and make the area known for SOMETHING. And then associate the city with being casual, clean, and liveable. Given the current economic conditions, I think that message will resonate pretty well. Show us some commercials and the like. I've seen a bunch lately for Melbourne with the tennis tournament and New Zealand ran a few over the winter.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them from an American perspective about this process and general U.S. questions. I was just trying to give some honest feedback on the thread and hope I didn't offend anyone.

Best,

Chris

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#244 Post by Prince George » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Chris,

The Queen and I made your trip in the opposite direction - from Adelaide up to the Pacific Northwest. And we did it for reasons that are pretty similar to your own; in our case the easy option of staying put had been made complicated when my offices were closed, so it just seemed like the time to get out and see more of the world. We've been here for a couple of years now and its been a tremendous experience.

When we came over here, we didn't have a lot to do with the rigmarole of getting a visa, because all of that was handled by my employer and the lawyers that they hire. In a sense, they're implementing your idea of the immigration case worker. I interviewed with them while still in Australia, they made me an offer contigent on getting a visa. They then handled all of the details of preparing the documents for the visa interview.

It's true that much of the immigration promotion and focus for Australia is in the UK, and tradespeople in particular. Obviously, the two countries are rather close (culturally if not geographically), and there have been shortages in the trades. Tradespeople probably need different kind of immigration support than 'professionals', as they're not likely to get the support of an employer trying to recruit them from abroad.

In all, I would imagine that there's a difference in business culture between Australia and the US that's letting an opportunity slip past - I suspect that most Australian businesses don't think much about the potential of recruiting from outside Australia. I have worked with people that had emigrated from the UK and USA, but in each case they were transfers from within the companies rather than external recruitment.

You know, there might be an opportunity for a recruiting firm - perhaps a partnership between one in either country - to fill that gap.

You may be right about the price of living in Adelaide, but I don't think that we should shy away from the fact that one's lifestyle changes when you've moved between continents. Every second episode of "House Hunters International" has someone moving to Paris and being shown a series of shoeboxes to live in - they know that they're not going to get a place like they will in the US, but they're falling over themselves to go there.

Seeking change is much of the reason that people consider moving overseas anyway, so I suspect that they would be receptive to the fact that it won't be the same as they have at the moment. What we're missing at the moment is a clearer pitch on why someone might accept that increased price of living change. Paris, London, Rome don't need to work much on that as they've already got so much "mindshare", Adelaide needs to make its case.

And, btw, Seattle keeps Adelaide looking pretty affordable :)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#245 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Tonight on SBS at 8:30pm is a show that examines the socio/economic impact/problem of an ageing population. Believe it or not, there are many people in SA who don't believe we need more people moving here.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#246 Post by Wayno » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm

The SBS show on ageing populations was truly interesting. If Japan continues with its current birth rate trajectory (and noone really expects it to change), then its population will be halved by 2100, and only 1 person left by 2500! :lol: In part their problem is due to virtually zero immigration.

They then interviewed the mayor of a large Southern Italian Village which is rapidly dying through lack of new births. The average age is approx 65, and not even a $17,000 grant per baby is stopping the young from leaving (mainly a jobs issue). There's sooo many empty houses, many are lovely old buildings.

IMO, the main message from the show was threefold:
1) Blame the previous generation: The previous couple of generations helped create and support the concept of an 'expansionary economic model' by having heaps of children per family, but they also skewed the population age demographic so we'll soon have way too many old people
2) Blame the current generation: The current generation (both male & female) expect to have a long career, a big fully furnished house/apartment, AND a family - which is quickly proving to be a flawed approach
3) Populate and/or Immigrate: To sustain a population you need 2.1 births per couple. If you have a lower rate then you must have large scale immigration plans (which in turn causes population issues in other countries)

I suppose the above issues could be resolved if people were not allowed to die! anti-death govt policy is what we need!!

On a related note, did anyone see the article in todays paper about NZ bleeding roughly 1000 people per week to Australia! I wonder how many make it to SA?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#247 Post by Cruise » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Wayno wrote:
On a related note, did anyone see the article in todays paper about NZ bleeding roughly 1000 people per week to Australia! I wonder how many make it to SA?
They're all going to queensland

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#248 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:46 am

Five Sydney-sider friends of mine (natives of NSW in their mid/late-30's) were here for the long weekend. It was great to see the guys. We spent the weekend eating, drinking, playing golf, womad, adelaide cup, blah. Jeez i'm tired.

A few notes from our time together:
* 3 had been to SA previously, and love the place. They say it has plenty to offer without the money focused pretentiousness of NSW and the cheap/tackiness of QLD. The other 2 guys were blown away by the liveliness (many thanks to the fringe festival!)
* They all loved the Rundle Lantern saying it has a real 'wow factor'
* They were all surprised to see 'cranage' on the cbd skyline - this raised their eyebrows
* The guys said that 'talk about traveling to Adelaide' is more regular at sydney dinner parties and bbqs. Apparently we're increasingly being seen as a must-do "boutique destination" among 30-40yo professionals.

Interestingly, none of the guys noticed any Sydney TV/Newspaper advertising for the TDU, Womad, Fringe, etc ?!? Why the heck is that? How can we bring tourists from interstate if we're not in their face? *sigh*

I know the above post does not contain 'ideas on attracting people to SA', but i think we can say that the wheel of fortune is turning in our direction. Who knows, the global financial crisis could actually work in our favour - maybe there are additional niche ways for Adelaide to exploit the situation?

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#249 Post by joshzxzx » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I completely agree with you Wayno!

We need capitalise on things that are unique to SA.. Such as the Wineries and Vineyards.. I believe there could be great potential surrounding those areas for tourism.

Adelaide does have many things going for it, and we need to let people know what we have! and hopefully they will spread the word!
South Australia the Festival State

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#250 Post by Will » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Adelaide is a great medium sized city that has plenty to offer. When people actually get here they realise this. The problem is that we have some seriously bad PR which keeps people away.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it would be ideal if they got rid of SA Great, and instead used their budget to better promote our events interstate and overseas. Getting people over here to experience the real Adelaide, will do much more for our image than cringeworth commercials telling us how world class we are.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#251 Post by AtD » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Wayno wrote:* The guys said that 'talk about traveling to Adelaide' is more regular at sydney dinner parties and bbqs. Apparently we're increasingly being seen as a must-do "boutique destination" among 30-40yo professionals.

Interestingly, none of the guys noticed any Sydney TV/Newspaper advertising for the TDU, Womad, Fringe, etc ?!? Why the heck is that? How can we bring tourists from interstate if we're not in their face? *sigh*
To your first point, I agree. The same vibe is present here in Canberra. At least that's what all my superiors at work say (overpaid public servants). I always get asked if I like wine, etc. Coopers is a "boutique" beer here, so can fetch $60/carton for Pale Ale :(

I spotted some advertising for the Fringe in a cafe here, on a rack of brochures.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#252 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 pm

2million by 2027

So assuming an even distribution across the next 18years, we'll need to grow by ~22,000 per year...

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
TWO million people should call South Australia home by 2027, the Economic Development Board says.

The state was already tracking ahead of the Government's strategic plan's target of achieving this goal by 2050 and it was time to be more ambitious.

The new target date will require updating the now five-year-old population policy with additional strategies.

"We've got to make sure that migrants coming here stick," EDB chairman Bruce Carter said.

Increased international migration since 2005 was the main contributor to SA's population growing at more than 1 per cent a year or 15,000 people.

However, SA was still suffering from a net migration loss to other states. Stemming this flow was dependent on job opportunities here as the economy grew.

"If we're right about SA's economy outperforming the nation, we'd expect that to stop," report lead author Grant Belchamber said.

Reviewing population policy should look at overseas and interstate migration and increasing workforce participation, the EDB recommends.

"In parallel, the policy will need to ensure this growth can be accommodated through improved land supply to address housing affordability issues, as well as accelerated rezoning and planning reforms," it said.

"Health and quality of life of residents as well as environmental and regional impacts will also need careful consideration."

In attracting people to Adelaide, it was time to move beyond simply saying housing was more affordable, Mr Carter said.

"We're now getting closer to interstate housing prices," he said.

"So we're doing a review of the issue in the EDB. Out of that comes a lot of things - liveability, sustainability, safety."

With an ageing population, South Australians had to embrace increasing population if they wanted economic growth.

"That's quite a big challenge," he said.

Mr Carter said the cuts to the skilled migrant intake announced by the Federal Government this week would not have much effect in SA.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#253 Post by Shuz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 pm

While we're being ambitious; I think Adelaide should set itself for 2,000,000 by 2030.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#254 Post by Wayno » Sun May 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Choc and stroll
Not sure this belongs in this thread - but what the heck. Lots of pretty pikkies in the printed version...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 00,00.html
Christine McCabe hits a money-saving trail in South Australia's capital, and savours the offerings

Sweet life: No visit to Adelaide is complete without popping into Haigh's Beehive Corner on Rundle Mall, a little jewel box of a shop crammed with tempting chocolates. But did you know the factory is a mere truffle's toss away on Greenhill Road and offers free tours Monday to Saturday (bookings essential)?

Established in 1915, Haigh's is one of the few chocolate makers in the world to control the entire manufacturing process, and visitors to the factory are able to watch white-capped workers busily grinding, milling and conching. Afterwards, you can sample the product of their pleasurable toil along with a complimentary tea or coffee.

The giant choc frogs are a highlight but my money is on the chocolate murray cod, with part of the proceeds from each sale helping to secure the fish's future. www.haighschocolates.com.

Garden grazing: Adelaide's Botanic Garden is a real gem, only two minutes from the central business district and scattered with outstanding historic and contemporary buildings. From the charming Victorian-era Palm House to the equally elegant but entirely modern Amazon Waterlily Pavilion, this garden can rightly claim its place among the world's most significant. Explore the international rose garden, dramatic Bicentennial Conservatory and sleek Schomburgk Pavilion.

Free tours operate daily and once a month you can join Tauondi guides as they explore the plants used to sustain Aboriginal life for millennia (also free). www.botanicgardens.sa.gov.au.

Artful browsing: In the heart of the city's handsome North Terrace cultural precinct, the Art Gallery of South Australia houses one of the country's finest collections in an elegant and historic building. Free guided tours operate daily at 11am and 2pm and there's plenty to delight, from the excellent collection of 19th-century Australian art (including the country's earliest known oil painting) to a fine representation of Asian art (featuring Australia's only permanent display of Islamic art). A good bookshop and top-flight cafe make for a great day out. www.artgallery.sa.gov.au.

Museum musing: You'll barely break a sweat exploring Adelaide's main cultural institutions with the gallery, library, university and museum tucked cheek by jowl on North Terrace. Set over six levels, the South Australian Museum houses a series of diverting collections from a giant squid trailing its tentacles several floors to the beautifully curated Australian Aboriginal Cultures Gallery, a window to the world's largest collection of Aboriginal artefacts. And don't miss the small but perfectly formed Egyptian Room. Museum entry is free and gratis guided tours operate 11am Monday to Friday and 2pm and 3pm on weekends and public holidays. www.samuseum.sa.gov.au.

Home on the Grange: Adelaide is fortunate to be surrounded by premium wine districts; indeed, venerable vineyards creep to the city's edge. Spiritual home of Grange, Penfolds Magill Estate perches in the foothills, only 15 minutes from the CBD, lapped by old vines and affording long views across the city. Heritage tours of the historic estate, including a tasting of six Penfolds wines, cost $15 and operate at 11am and 3pm daily. You'll need 10 times that amount to enjoy a tutored tasting of Grange but just being here is enough to get a sense of the history of this world-famous drop as you enjoy the heady aromas of the country's most sought-after reds. www.penfolds.com.

River ramble: Meandering past the Festival Centre and nearby to the picturesque Adelaide Oval, the Torrens River is the perfect place to hike, bike or boat your way through a sunny afternoon. Try paddle or pedal power (hiring facilities near the centre) or jump the old-fashioned Popeye pleasure boat (40 minutes with commentary costs $10; one way is $6) to Adelaide Zoo where keepers are readying to welcome visiting giant pandas Wang Wang and Funi later this year.

Strolling the manicured lawns lining the riverbanks is pleasure enough, bringing to mind similar scenes in England.

Market daze: Adelaide is a city known for its food and wine so you won't be surprised to learn its most-visited attraction is not a theme park or museum but the wonderful Central Market, 140 years young this year. Wedged between Grote and Gouger streets, the laneways of this thronging market are crammed with fruit and veg, cheeses and smallgoods. Few cities in the world still operate a fresh produce market at their heart and there's a sense here of what city life once was. Try Australia's best prosciutto at Marino Meats, take-home gnocchi from Lucia's or arrive early for the Full Monty breakfast. Open Tuesday to Saturday. www.adelaidecentralmarket.com.au.

Cheap eats: Visitors from the eastern states are generally pleasantly surprised by restaurant prices in the city, where securing a great meal for under $25 is a cinch. Gouger Street is one of the most popular foodie precincts; here you'll find everything from Greek seafood and Argentinean steaks to mulligatawny. For Ying Chow's BBC (soy bean and tofu stir fry), arrive early at this cheap-as- chips restaurant (114 Gouger St) where the fab food has a loyal following.

Even better is the signature chicken dish at the funky Wah Hing (85 Gouger St) or the stand-out tuna belly sashimi (courtesy of Port Lincoln's finest bluefin) at low-key Hotaru (162 Gouger St).

Bike it: Home to the first pro cycle touring race outside Europe (the annual Tour Down Under), Adelaide is custom made for biking with broad, flat streets, 760ha of parklands and a growing network of bike lanes. Follow in Lance Armstrong's wake and explore the city on a free bike available from a range of CBD outlets including Bicycle SA (111 Franklin St) and, on Sundays, from the Rundle Street Market. All you'll need is photo ID such as a driver's licence. Free undercover parking is available in 10 U-Park centres around the city. www.adelaidecitycouncil.com.

Hoof it: The best way to explore any city is on foot and Adelaide makes the perfect candidate with wide boulevards and a concentration of cultural attractions. Tourabout Adelaide provides excellent group guided tours (two hours from $187 for up to 20 people). However, it's just as easy to DIY (download a map from the city council website). An attractive parklands trail commences at the corner of North and East terrace. Or jump a free bus. Look for the bright-green Tindo, the world's first solar-powered electric bus, part of a free Connector service running daily across the city and North Adelaide. www.touraboutadelaide.com.au; www.adelaidecitycouncil.com.

Beside the seaside: Adelaide's beaches have a particular charm, punctuated by wooden jetties and kissed by long, southern sunsets. At most beaches the feeling is refreshingly old-fashioned: kiosks, dogs and cruising dolphins. Bustling, sometimes glitzy, Glenelg is as close as Adelaide gets to Surfers Paradise. Jump a tram from Victoria Square for a laid-back day at the seaside. For a spot of historic background, check out the free Bay Discovery Centre. Nearer the beach you can hire everything from deckchairs and kite boards to wave skis but it costs nothing to drop a line from the 215m jetty where you may be lucky enough to bag some whiting.

To the manor born: A cravat and smoking jacket would not look out of place at Carrick Hill, one of Australia's few grand homes to remain almost intact: land, furniture, art, the lot. Built around a collection of impressive Tudor staircases and other fixtures salvaged from a demolished English estate by Edward and Ursula Hayward, Carrick was a mid-20th century magnet for artists and musicians, including Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh.

Only 15 minutes from the CBD, and open Wednesday to Sunday, the house features an impressive private art collection and some outstanding furniture. Admission is $10.50 but access to the gardens is free.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#255 Post by Waewick » Wed May 06, 2009 4:39 pm

I really think that SA could benefit from being a power supply for the rest of the country. I see no reason why we could not create a number of large energy stations based on a variety of means (Nuclear, Renewable) which supply the country and potentially the surrounding countries
I realize it would take massive infrastructure outlay but the benefits are going to be there in the long run given the worlds demand for power. These sites could also be developed in regions which would otherwise have minimal potential moving forward. It would also help with the sale of end product uranium rather than just the raw material.

Anyway what are others thoughts or have I just re-hashed a heap of old ideas.