Light Rail Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Airport-Magill TramLink

#1 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:18 pm

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Airport-Magill TramLink

#2 Post by AG » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Great idea, there's a lot of potential in this idea. Some things to consider maybe:

- It might get more potential patronage if it ran along Franklin and Flinders Streets and cutting across the parklands to where you've already suggested at SDB Dr and Bartels Road. Gouger Street is a little bit cluttered in it's current form to take light rail IMO.
- The layout of the stops at the Airport. I think T1 only really needs one stop. Great that you've considered the potential for T2 somewhere in there.
- This isn't exactly something that is indicated on the plan, but if there was to be a tram corridor built down the middle of SDB Drive, I wonder if it would be a good idea to also allow it to serve the O-Bahn bus routes J1 and J2 down the same lanes, meaning that all the tram stops would have to be side platforms rather than island platforms.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by kenget » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:39 pm

1st post! :D

Hi all, the question that comes to my mind about this is, what would happen when the Clipsal 500 is on and if they make the race course track changes provided the grandstand gets approved somehow.

urban
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by urban » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:43 pm

I would have thought the logical route would have been straight up Grote/Wakefield/Kensington Rd and a future track to Henley Beach/Currie/Grenfell/Parade

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:40 pm

Few things to take note of. I purposedly didnt want the tram track running through Grote/Wakefield as that is the city's premier East/West traffic corridor, with consideration to Victoria Square redevlopment to be utilised to fullest potential, the Grote/Wakefield underpass would need to occur, and the junction for trams at Victoria Square would therefore be complicated.

Idealistically, If city-wide tram routes were implemented - I would have them running along every east-west street every two blocks N/S. (N/S blocks are far shorter walking distance than E/W blocks) This allows for Grote/Wakefield to become a premier traffic corridor, allows for Rundle Mall/Street to remain pedestrian-friendly. And utilises Currie/Grenfell street into a tram corridor to compliment bus services (city interchange) that service here. Franklin/Flinders streets and Angus/Gouger streets are utilised as junctions for the tram throughfare in Victoria Square.

I initiated the route along Gouger/Angus streets and not Franklin/Flinders, because if you look at S.B.D, it geographically deviates south (to the alignment in which Gouger/Angus streets run) and therefore would make more sense to run directly across. It coincidentally is able to serve both ETSA Park and Santos Stadium, rather than just Santos, should the deviation come from Franklin/Flinders streets.

In patronage numbers, there is more demand for a Franklin/Flinders route, however, these two are limited to servicing the city and not further on into the suburbs (given geographical positioned complications at either end) and are outweighed by the benefits of a Angus/Gouger streets throughfare into the suburbs which impact less significantly to their geographical destinations on its set route.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:22 pm

A Currie/Grenfell route would be best, IMO.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm

If that were to happen, I would make Gouger Street from Morphett Street to King William Street a no-car zone.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 pm

AtD wrote:A Currie/Grenfell route would be best, IMO.
Yes, I agree that is the best route, as it would allow the tram to get to the airport via Henley beach Road. Sending the trams down Henley Beach Road is better IMO because it would stimulate the nascent cafe scene at Henley Beach Road, whilst also providing tourists with a better first impression of Adelaide. I personally think that Sir Donald Bradman Boulevard is a little too quiet and industrial looking.

However, the idea of a fast tram link between the city and the airport is a marvellous idea!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bmw boy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:53 am

looks great. Gonna send it in anywhere?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:11 am

I don't know. . I've never really seen beyond making them to presenting them pubicly. Do you think I should, and if so where to?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

Further Tramline Extension To North Adelaide

#11 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 am

Adelaide could do with further tramline extension:

Not sure how practical this would be, but this is my vision for Adelaide's future tramline routes, maybe in 10-15 years to come.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 am

Mods: Can you change thread title to Tramline Visions. Thanks, as I will be adding more.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Okay, heres another one I did. This time for City-Prospect.
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9804/prospectze4.jpg

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Shuz wrote:Okay, heres another one I did. This time for City-Prospect.

great...maybe it will work with my plan:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =17&t=1316
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: Further Tramline Extension To North Adelaide

#15 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:27 pm

I think this is great from Shuz:
Shuz wrote:Okay, heres another one I did. This time for City-Prospect.