Light Rail Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: Light Rail Visions

#61 Post by fishinajar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:49 pm

Shuz wrote:I am working on the mothership of all light rail visions ever compiled for Adelaide. I am still working on the city and North Adelaide area, and haven't even begun with suburban services. Basically it will be a compliation of all the tibits posted previously, plus far more.

I am getting right down to details, stops, routes, services, interchanges, etc.
Love your work so far...awaiting your compiled vision.

My favourite line is still your first post in this thread; Airport-Norwood, and I agree with your Gouger/Angas sections, and with Norman on the Gouger Mall idea (Morphett-KWS no car zone).

Throw in a west tce section and we have a cbd western loop (sure your doing something of the sort already shuz).

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by cleverick » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:41 am

If you started the descent at Pirie St, would the tram be able to underpass Flinders St as it went under Victoria Squ? This is my plan to make the thing whole again. For the East-West, would Gawler Pl give a shallow enough gradient for the trams to use? I base this on the flyway on the current Glenelg track, it looks like the slope is steep enough, I reckon.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#63 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Shuz wrote:I am working on the mothership of all light rail visions ever compiled for Adelaide. I am still working on the city and North Adelaide area, and haven't even begun with suburban services. Basically it will be a compliation of all the tibits posted previously, plus far more.

Taking MUCH longer than I thought.

I've only got City, North Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Beach, Grange, Outer Harbor/Lefevre areas covered.

It's a very comprehensive, complex plan, because the coverage of the network goes right down to every 5/6 blocks of the suburbs. It's modelled on a transfer-based system, with intensely high frequencies (<5mins) everywhere. The purpose of the concept is to highlight that light rail can take over as the number one mode of transport - so much so, that the automobile would hardly exist.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Norman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:18 pm

Shuz wrote:

I've only got City, North Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Beach, Grange, Outer Harbor/Lefevre areas covered.

It's a very comprehensive, complex plan, because the coverage of the network goes right down to every 5/6 blocks of the suburbs. It's modelled on a transfer-based system, with intensely high frequencies (<5mins) everywhere. The purpose of the concept is to highlight that light rail can take over as the number one mode of transport - so much so, that the automobile would hardly exist.
It's not easy, is it? :wink:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#65 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Norman wrote:
Shuz wrote:

It's not easy, is it? :wink:
Absolutely not. I actually think I made it too hard for myself! And now I fucked up the Grange/WL areas by saving the file accidentally when I was hiding the overlays and it wont let me revert back!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#66 Post by Omicron » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:29 pm

WL Grange?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#67 Post by Shuz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:02 am

With the powerful resources of Google Earth and Street View, I've taken to a new dimension of Light Rail Visions.

Norwood Town Hall stop, along the Parade, Norwood.
Before:
After:

Brougham Place stop, along O'Connell Street, North Adelaide.
Before:
After:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:13 am

Who left all those cameras on the road? Are they speed cameras? ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#69 Post by ad5 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:07 pm

I also posted this in the "Tramline: where should they go" thread, but thought it should also go here as its applicable to both.

I think rail along Sir Donald Bradman Drive or Henley Beach Road to airport and then extended to West beach or Henley Beach and road would be good.

But hows this for an Idea. Since that would mean 3 lines West (Glenelg, Henley/West beach and Port/Semaphore) why not link them all up?? If we are to have a decent network a grid makes sense and this is obvious one. Look at Melbournes tram network, there are several lines intersecting lines (some dont fork out from the city but link several lines that do):

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps ... itan_trams

Imagine a line from Glenelg to Port without going via the city, or getting the tram direct from the airport to Glenelg or the Port. This is a true network! This would help many suburbs between these lines and create a line that would help make Adelaides coast line what it should be. It could even be extended down to Brighton\Hove to meet up with the train line there.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#70 Post by Shuz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Finally making good use of the customisable Google Maps function, I have been able to collate all of the Light Rail / Tram visions for Adelaide onto a map.
You can view it here by clicking this link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&pt ... 140da09667

Extensive feedback is welcome, particularly from those who have been involved in other transport vision projects. I would like to gather as much information possible which covers issues such as alignments, service viability, etc, to produce a realistic light rail vision for Adelaide.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Can you give us a bit more detail? I am intrigued by this...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#72 Post by Shuz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Well, essentially I'm creating a transport vision of Adelaide's tram and train networks in 2050, when the city is expected to be home to 2,000,000 people. With substantial public transport investment that aims to reduce our car dependancy, and utilisation of public transport as the city's main mode of commuter travel, at 51% or greater. The network would extend to the city's current urban boundaries, inclusive of Mount Barker.

What I wanted to recieve feedback on, taking into account of these fixed variables (population, public transport usage, and investment) is to create a realistic vision - rather than just drawing lines wherever a road lies.

My key focus at the moment is the train network, to create a system directly aimed at carrying substantial passenger movements directly into the CBD. To maximise service frequency and efficiency, I believe that only one branch line should accomodate each major line - so that frequency doubles within the inter-city area (intercity being a 10-15km radius from the CBD, which would match increased population densities (TOD's and urban consolidation) within this radius.

The main lines and their branches are as follows.

Outer Harbor
> Grange
Mount Barker (utilising Belair route, diverted at Mitcham through new Hills route)
> Belair
Golden Grove
> Northfield ? (Pending investigation)
Gawler
> Buckland Park (utilising diversion at Salisbury through RAAF base)
Aldinga (extended Noarlunga line)
> Willunga (utilising Tonsley line, extended and utilising former Hackham corridor to Willunga)

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Pat28 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Shuz wrote: that frequency doubles within the inter-city area (intercity being a 10-15km radius from the CBD, which would match increased population densities (TOD's and urban consolidation) within this radius.
I likes your thinkings, CrossCity seems to ring a bell, at MAX it should have a 1hr frequency, but evry 20 minutes for Intercity trains would be suffice.
Shuz wrote:
Outer Harbor
> Grange
Mount Barker (utilising Belair route, diverted at Mitcham through new Hills route)
> Belair
Golden Grove
> Northfield ? (Pending investigation)
Gawler
> Buckland Park (utilising diversion at Salisbury through RAAF base)
Aldinga (extended Noarlunga line)
> Willunga (utilising Tonsley line, extended and utilising former Hackham corridor to Willunga)
Oooh, Mt Barker, Aldinga - you got my vote, "now run along to parliament and put in a submisson" (in wilfy's words)
nah, good job keep it, up i along with norman is intrigued.
Frequencies?
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#74 Post by Cruise » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Shuz wrote:Well, essentially I'm creating a transport vision of Adelaide's tram and train networks in 2050, when the city is expected to be home to 2,000,000 people.
No it's not. South Australia's population is expected to be 2,000,000

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#75 Post by Cruise » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Shuz wrote:Well, essentially I'm creating a transport vision of Adelaide's tram and train networks in 2050, when the city is expected to be home to 2,000,000 people.
No it's not. South Australia's population is expected to be 2,000,000