SouthBank- Torrens

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: SouthBank- Torrens

#46 Post by adam73837 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks to the fact that I am unable to get the Serial Code for Photoshop CS3, I had to do the final bits on Paint :| , but nonetheless, here is a slight idea on a possibility for the land West of the Morphett Street Bridge:
adelaide_riverbank_precinct_for_sensational-adelaide.jpg
I would also like to extend the Convention/ Exhibition Centre West and add a few Riverfront Cafes and Restaurants, but was unable to due to the fact that I was doing it on Paint.
adelaide_riverbank_precinct_for_sensational-adelaide.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 3624 times
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Wayno » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:56 pm

oh god no...i hope we never build an "observation wheel". they are sooo tacky and yesterday...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by Düsseldorfer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:21 pm

ugh the city stadium is soo tacky and yesterday!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Wayno wrote:oh god no...i hope we never build an "observation wheel". they are sooo tacky and yesterday...
Adam's also placed it in a gully. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:47 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Wayno wrote:oh god no...i hope we never build an "observation wheel". they are sooo tacky and yesterday...
Adam's also placed it in a gully. ;)
a cunning plan indeed - avoiding those pesky height restrictions :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by JamesXander » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm

crawf wrote:That ugly duckly will be more than likely be loved in the future.

I never want to see the Festival Centre demolished, its a Adelaide icon and fits in nicely with the city skyline. Though what I would like too see is the plaza area and interior get a makeover.

Loved in the future? its what 30 years old already.

Its not an icon at all. Its ugly.

The only thing I would agree on is it suits our skyline, small and nothing special.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by rhino » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:03 am

I never want to see the Festival Centre demolished, its a Adelaide icon and fits in nicely with the city skyline. Though what I would like too see is the plaza area and interior get a makeover.
I'm with Crawf on this one.
cheers,
Rhino

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by Joely » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:44 am

Why does everyone want the Festival Centre and Hyatt Regency demolished!? All the Festival Centre needs is a nice big refusbishment. I have so many memories of performing there and I wouldn't be able to imagine Adelaide without it. Also the Hyatt. Why would we remove one of our tallest towers that does so much for the skyline at that end of the city? Its also our tallest and our largest hotel and offers the best accomodations and service in town. Yes its positioning is probably not great, but face it, it's there now and there's no reason to bring it down. It will be expensive and in the process we will lose one of our most notable hotels. Very bad idea.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Joely wrote:Why does everyone want the Festival Centre and Hyatt Regency demolished!? All the Festival Centre needs is a nice big refusbishment. I have so many memories of performing there and I wouldn't be able to imagine Adelaide without it. Also the Hyatt. Why would we remove one of our tallest towers that does so much for the skyline at that end of the city? Its also our tallest and our largest hotel and offers the best accomodations and service in town. Yes its positioning is probably not great, but face it, it's there now and there's no reason to bring it down. It will be expensive and in the process we will lose one of our most notable hotels. Very bad idea.
rhino wrote:

I'm with Crawf on this one.
Absolutely !

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:28 pm

i'm with crawf, rhino, joely, ynotsfables, etc on this one - just run the festival centre through a car wash, put some mags on it, hang some fuzzy dice from the rear-view mirror, add some snazzy seat covers, and it'll look sweet :-) it's already got a good stereo system...

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#56 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:29 pm

maybe, but some of the ones in Japan are pretty cool, when I was living in Osaka I rode on this one... it didn't have to be the biggest in the world to get an awesome view, cos it was sticking out the top of a building!

doesn't have to be a 'wheel' either, this oval shaped one was also in osaka, and along a river that is narrower, dirtier, and less attractive than the torrens!:

in Adelaide and Australia in general, we can learn about using space from the japanese for sure... i loved all the little bars, shops and cafes that you could find on the 5th or 10th or whatever floor of city buildings...

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Hindley Street Alley wrote: we can learn about using space from the japanese for sure...
fortunately we don't have to, Australia has plenty of space....

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by talrok » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Definitely keep the Festival Centre .. I think it looks cool and is our little 'Sydney opera house'. Just need to brighten up the area around it and as I have said before I would turn that area (behind Parliament) into a Fed Square type area with stages, screens, cafe's, eateries .. its close to transport and nestled perfectly between great monuments of Adelaide and the river. One day when we decide to fix that area up as well up to Morphet Street then it will be a nice area to spend a Saturday night .. much better than Vic Square ... its like an island in the ocean .. too many hazzards to cross just to get in and out of there.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by JamesXander » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:18 pm

talrok wrote:Definitely keep the Festival Centre .. I think it looks cool and is our little 'Sydney opera house'. Just need to brighten up the area around it and as I have said before I would turn that area (behind Parliament) into a Fed Square type area with stages, screens, cafe's, eateries .. its close to transport and nestled perfectly between great monuments of Adelaide and the river. One day when we decide to fix that area up as well up to Morphet Street then it will be a nice area to spend a Saturday night .. much better than Vic Square ... its like an island in the ocean .. too many hazzards to cross just to get in and out of there.

Bah seems everyone is against me on this one.

The Centre to me is nothing special. Its not unqiue, its not memorable. WHICH IMO it should be. We are the festival state apparently. The arts state.

When I look across the torrens to Adelaide I think the centre is an ugly blob blockin the view of a sexy building, Parliament house.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:26 pm

While nice, Parliament House is even less unique and memorable than the Festival Centre.