Vision - Britannia Roundabout

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Vision - Britannia Roundabout

#121 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm

that just creates another set of stop lights on city loop which we are trying to make efficient?

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#122 Post by Mr Smith » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Run an underpass connecting Deq Tce to Fullarton Rd (south) as those are the two roads that carry the most traffic and are part of the Ring Route which should be as free flowing as possible to encourage drivers to avoid using the CBD as a thoroughfare.

This has been proposed before, however with the ALP is power it is unlikely to happen as they have other priorities to stich up votes (IE southern suburbs) and besides, the state is running massive budget deficits so funding it would be problematic.

rhino

#123 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Mr Smith wrote:Run an underpass connecting Deq Tce to Fullarton Rd (south) as those are the two roads that carry the most traffic and are part of the Ring Route which should be as free flowing as possible to encourage drivers to avoid using the CBD as a thoroughfare.
This is going to be pretty difficult for Kensington Road drivers, isn't it? How will they access the ring route to avoid using the CBD as a thoroughfare? Or will your underpass be in addition to the existing 5-way roundabout?
cheers,
Rhino

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#124 Post by Mr Smith » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

rhino wrote:This is going to be pretty difficult for Kensington Road drivers, isn't it? How will they access the ring route to avoid using the CBD as a thoroughfare? Or will your underpass be in addition to the existing 5-way roundabout?
Yep, I envisage the roundabout continuing as is now, however with much of the traffic running under it, the current peak hour issues will be significantly reduced.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#125 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 am

Get rid of the roundabout and have traffic lights installed with right hand turns from Dequetteville Tce and Fullarton Road into Wakefield Street banned during peak periods.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#126 Post by neoballmon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Here's a possible solution of the Brittannia Roundabout, which saves existing trees and will barely (if at all) alter the Clipsal Track.
Apologies for quality, I did not have Photoshop installed at the time.
And additionally to caption box, the right roundabout would probably be 2 lanes turning right onto Fullarton from Dequetteville/Wakefield merged road.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Ho Really

#127 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm

neoballmon wrote:Here's a possible solution of the Brittannia Roundabout, which saves existing trees and will barely (if at all) alter the Clipsal Track. Apologies for quality, I did not have Photoshop installed at the time. And additionally to caption box, the right roundabout would probably be 2 lanes turning right onto Fullarton from Dequetteville/Wakefield merged road.
Not bad. You can elaborate this a little further with some minor modifications. You could also add traffic lights as another option. The only drawback I can see with the two roundabouts version is the possible banking up of traffic in between the two.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nathan

#128 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 am

Ho Really wrote:
neoballmon wrote:Here's a possible solution of the Brittannia Roundabout, which saves existing trees and will barely (if at all) alter the Clipsal Track. Apologies for quality, I did not have Photoshop installed at the time. And additionally to caption box, the right roundabout would probably be 2 lanes turning right onto Fullarton from Dequetteville/Wakefield merged road.
Not bad. You can elaborate this a little further with some minor modifications. You could also add traffic lights as another option. The only drawback I can see with the two roundabouts version is the possible banking up of traffic in between the two.

Cheers
Plus, it seems a significant percentage of the population can't handle one double laned round about, imagine how they'd be around two!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#129 Post by neoballmon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Ho Really wrote:Not bad. You can elaborate this a little further with some minor modifications. You could also add traffic lights as another option. The only drawback I can see with the two roundabouts version is the possible banking up of traffic in between the two.

Cheers
I've seen a number of concept images planned for this intersecition with traffic lights. And I think they are much better designed than I could do. I chose this option because it's unique for others that I have seen.
As for the traffic queueing between, if traffic lights were installed on the roundabouts (like at Blythewood/Belair Roads, or Beach Road/Southern Expressway roundabouts), these could be activated, say on Dequetteville and Wakefield, when traffic trying to access Kensington and Fullarton South starts to increase. Then Deq. and Wakefield could alternate to move into the central section. I know it's not the best solution, but (in my mind at least) it is better than the current design.
Nathan wrote:Plus, it seems a significant percentage of the population can't handle one double laned round about, imagine how they'd be around two!
True. The previously mentioned traffic signals could help combat the ignorance as well.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#130 Post by Wayno » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am

proposed overhaul:

From AdelaideNow
ADELAIDE'S notorious Britannia roundabout will be split in two in an attempt to ease traffic conditions.

Premier and Treasurer Jay Weatherill this morning revealed the latest proposed solution for the five-way roundabout.

The existing single roundabout design would be reconfigured into a dual roundabout intersection comprising a four-leg roundabout adjacent to a three-leg roundabout, separated by a raised solid median.

The new, second roundabout will be at the end of Dequetteville Terrace to help traffic turning right into Wakefield Road.

Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis said new road signs would be installed on the approaches to the intersection to help drivers select the correct lane.

The State Government hopes the change will reduce the number of road crashes and free up the flow of traffic.

Mr Weatherill said modelling showed the new design would give drivers more space and time and slow the speed that vehicles enter the intersection.

The government will allocate $3.2 million towards the project in the 2013-14 Budget, to be handed down on Thursday.

The redevelopment is expected to be completed by early next year.

"Motoring and road safety groups have long identified fixing this roundabout as a priority," Mr Weatherill said.

"But a practical solution has been difficult to find because of the extremely high cost of construction or proposals that impinged too heavily on the nearby parklands.

"Engineers have devised a solution that does not require costly underpasses, overpasses or new roads that would cut a swathe through the parklands."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#131 Post by Vee » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:53 am

This looks like the 2 roundabout proposal from neoballmon from Sep 2012?

Here is the indaily report with Vimeo simulation video.
A new double-roundabout has been announced by the Premier to replace the infamous Britannia roundabout. It should be completed by the end of the year.
http://t.co/Mtu55tfHh6
via indaily

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#132 Post by mattwinter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Clever to put that bush blocking your view of traffic coming around from the right :lol:

Waewick

#133 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 pm

neoballmon wrote:Here's a possible solution of the Brittannia Roundabout, which saves existing trees and will barely (if at all) alter the Clipsal Track.
Apologies for quality, I did not have Photoshop installed at the time.
And additionally to caption box, the right roundabout would probably be 2 lanes turning right onto Fullarton from Dequetteville/Wakefield merged road.
very close!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#134 Post by neoballmon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Wow I'm quite impressed they used a similar design to mine! I do like their third Lane between the two roundabouts though! Nice to see they've taken traffic volumes into account