Vision - Britannia Roundabout

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
metro
Legendary Member!

Re: New Plan for Britannia Roundabout

#106 Post by metro » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 pm

In my view, there is nothing wrong with the Roundabout, it's fairly simple, and I've been through some pretty bad ones interstate in Melbourne with trains and trams passing through the middle, and there are some big confusing ones in the UK as well as the Arc de triomph in Paris. If anything needs fixing, it's the Adelaide drivers. :wink:

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New Plan for Britannia Roundabout

#107 Post by Waewick » Sat May 19, 2012 10:29 am

That is a bit of a cop out. Just because something is not as bad a something else, that doesn't make it good nor less bad.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

My idea for the Britannia roundabout

#108 Post by Hooligan » Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 am

Heres my idea for the Britannia roundabout.
Quite simply what would happen is Dequetteville terrace would re-routed to form a T-junction with wakefield road and the old dequetteville terrace that heads towards the roundabout would be cut off before the roundabout but be maintained as an access road for the properties along it.

This would leave Fullarton road, Kensington Road and Wakefield road to form a regular cross road intersection with traffic lights.

Heres a pretty picture i made:

Yellow is the new access road, grey is the new road alingment.

What do you think?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Nort

Re: My idea for the Britannia roundabout

#109 Post by Nort » Sat May 19, 2012 3:03 pm

if you were looking to do something like this I think it would be better to leave Dequetteville terrace on its current path and divert Wakefield road to have a t-junction with it a couple of hundred meters before the intersection.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

My idea for the Britannia roundabout

#110 Post by dsriggs » Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Putting a road through parklands?? How barbaric!!!

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#111 Post by mutt » Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 pm

not sure if the barbarians were much of road builders

Vee
Legendary Member!

#112 Post by Vee » Sun May 20, 2012 9:31 am

Nort wrote:if you were looking to do something like this I think it would be better to leave Dequetteville terrace on its current path and divert Wakefield road to have a t-junction with it a couple of hundred meters before the intersection.
I don't like the idea of cutting off Dequetteville Tce, which I believe is a critical part of the Inner Ring Route for Adelaide.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vision - Britannia Roundabout Mess

#113 Post by Wayno » Sun May 20, 2012 1:12 pm

hi all, fyi i just merged all 3 britannia roundabout threads.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nort

#114 Post by Nort » Sun May 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Vee wrote:
Nort wrote:if you were looking to do something like this I think it would be better to leave Dequetteville terrace on its current path and divert Wakefield road to have a t-junction with it a couple of hundred meters before the intersection.
I don't like the idea of cutting off Dequetteville Tce, which I believe is a critical part of the Inner Ring Route for Adelaide.
Yeah, that's why I would leave Dequetteville Tce on it's current path, and have Wakefield end in a t-junction on it (as in with the T Dequetteville Tce is the horizontal line) Potentially even having the junction as a small roundabout itself could work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vision - Britannia Roundabout

#115 Post by AG » Sun May 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Throwing another bizarre idea in the ring, how about shutting off the Wakefield Road link... and put in a new road from Halifax Street to the signalised intersection at Fullarton Road/Grant Avenue? Then convert Britannia into a signalised intersection with Dequetteville/Fullarton South serving as the main axis, and Kensington Road and Fullarton Road North terminating at the lights. It would certainly assist the case for getting traffic out of the east-west link road at Victoria Square.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#116 Post by rev » Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Why does Wakefield street even need to reach all the way to the Britannia round about?

http://s13.postimage.org/ouuvzs2yt/brit.png

The red line. That bit of Wakefield street is 'cut off', and turned into public space. Make it part of the parklands, add a car park, whatever.
The orange box, realignment into a four way intersection with traffic lights.
Retain the existing bits of the Clipsal track, such as the corner and section that lead into Vic park from Deq tce onto Wakefield, and the chicane leading onto Wakfield.

How simple is that? Only took half a dozen beers..I'm sure our politicians in parliament who have a pool table and competitions against each other to occupy their time with can come up with something..

edit..Wait, that's similar to AG's idea above. Great minds.
Last edited by monotonehell on Mon May 21, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: img change to url as site doesn't seem to allow hotlinking

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by Wayno » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 am

would be interesting to see traffic flow data for the interchange. For example if the majority of traffic flows from kensington into wakefield (and vise versa) then cutting/diverting wakefield is probably a bad idea.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]

#118 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 am

A bit more of a complex and costlier solution would be to construct an underpass of the Dequetteville Terrace and Fullarton Road (South) throughfare (the City Ring Route). The intersection then becomes a 5-way traffic signalised intersection, but with no-right-turns banned to drivers approaching the intersection from Fullarton Road (North) to Dequetteville Terrace, and also for drivers exiting the Dequetteville Terrace offramp onto Wakefield Street. Basically, in either circumstance where the angle of the right hand turn is greater than 90 degrees.

David Plumridge's (the DLM) solution is by far the cheapest and most sensible and practical one, but instead of diverting traffic down Angus street, wouldn't it be more practical to divert them down Flinders Street and impose traffic-calming measures along the stretch of Fullarton Road (North) between the Parade and the Britannia Intersection; i.e. widen the footpaths, reduce the speed limit, etc. so to discourage drivers from using that stretch of road. Having just looked at StreetView, it appears that the traffic landscape of that stretch of road already looks 'quiet' so it wouldn't be a hard task to modify it a bit more.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#119 Post by tanner1987 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Cheap, easy solution. Clipsal can even continue, and net parkland increases.

Questions?
Attachments
roundabout.jpg
roundabout.jpg (94.14 KiB) Viewed 3953 times

Nort

#120 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 pm

tanner1987 wrote:Cheap, easy solution. Clipsal can even continue, and net parkland increases.

Questions?
The obvious and sensible solution.