Victoria Square Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Message
Author
User avatar
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4794
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:55 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#196 Post by Howie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:13 pm

AtD wrote:Did you make that Howie? In Sketch Up?
Yep, it was part of my submission for Vic Square. It's modelled on Dublin Spire.

User avatar
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Torrens Park
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#197 Post by Wayno » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Seems to me the ACC are simply gathering a bunch of random designs. If you don't know what you want then how do you know when you have achieved it?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

User avatar
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#198 Post by adam73837 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:47 pm

i think that it would be a good idea to have a tower, BUT PLEASE, MAKE IT TALLER (about as tall as Westpac maybe, with about 3 observation decks; one at about the height of GPO Tower, one at the top and one in between; this would give people different views of the city from 3 different heights. It would also be an idea to have those glass elevators so that people get an even more rounded view of Adelaide).
I also like the idea of having it in the centre because it truly would be something that tells people that they have reached the centre of Adelaide! I also like the idea of having an amphitheatre, diverting the east-west traffic underneath the square, etc.
There's just SO MUCH that we can do with the square. But we need to make sure that we don't stuff up, because if we do, a brilliant opportunity goes with it.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

User avatar
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Torrens Park
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#199 Post by Wayno » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:40 pm

adam73837 wrote:i think that it would be a good idea to have a tower, BUT PLEASE, MAKE IT TALLER (about as tall as Westpac maybe, with about 3 observation decks; one at about the height of GPO Tower, one at the top and one in between; this would give people different views of the city from 3 different heights.
like this?
adelaide-spire-all.JPG
adelaide-spire-all.JPG (526.79 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
i'm not convinced a tower is a good idea, but i'm not personally fussed either way. It's really the ground-level human element that's most important (amphitheatre, gathering areas, some water, paving, grass, less traffic somehow)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

User avatar
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#200 Post by Splashmo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 am

I think it's incredibly 1980s to look towards a tower as some sort of attraction or addition to the cityscape. What also concerns me about this proposal is that there would be an 'east-west road bridge' and I could think of little worse than having a pedestrian plaza underneath a road.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#201 Post by Pat28 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:23 am

Splashmo wrote:I think it's incredibly 1980s to look towards a tower as some sort of attraction or addition to the cityscape. What also concerns me about this proposal is that there would be an 'east-west road bridge' and I could think of little worse than having a pedestrian plaza underneath a road.
But, half of Adelaide is of the 80's, so no real change. :D
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#202 Post by alfer7_3 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:00 pm

This plan completely ignores the one major problem with victoria sq which most people have said which is cars. No one is going to use a public space which is surrounded by busy roads. I know its ambitious for a car dependent city like adelaide but victoria sq is not going to improve otherwise. The tower also needs to be of alot more innovative design. I'm thinking of something like Frank Ghery's Walt Disney concert Hall, its monumental and fits into the urban landscape. An observation deck seems like a waste being 10-20metres off the ground. Q1 Observation deck, Gold Coast is 220 metres high. A sunken plaza under a large road will also be a place to avoid at night as it will breed crime. I think we have plenty of east, west roads in the cbd, to eliminate 1 or 2 will not be much of a loss but a great gain for the city. A monumental building in the centre which could also go underground so it doesn't take up alot of the square so there is still plenty of open space i think would be good. something which could house contemporary art, live outdoor music performances, big screen for big sporting events (AFL grand final, soccer world cup, melbourne cup etc. and new years eve), festival events for our many festivals, bars, cafes, restaurants and a tourist information centre, which is obvious and attractive, not stuck in the mall.
cheers

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#203 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:45 pm

alfer7_3 wrote:This plan completely ignores the one major problem with victoria sq which most people have said which is cars. No one is going to use a public space which is surrounded by busy roads. I know its ambitious for a car dependent city like adelaide but victoria sq is not going to improve otherwise. The tower also needs to be of alot more innovative design. I'm thinking of something like Frank Ghery's Walt Disney concert Hall, its monumental and fits into the urban landscape. An observation deck seems like a waste being 10-20metres off the ground. Q1 Observation deck, Gold Coast is 220 metres high. A sunken plaza under a large road will also be a place to avoid at night as it will breed crime. I think we have plenty of east, west roads in the cbd, to eliminate 1 or 2 will not be much of a loss but a great gain for the city. A monumental building in the centre which could also go underground so it doesn't take up alot of the square so there is still plenty of open space i think would be good. something which could house contemporary art, live outdoor music performances, big screen for big sporting events (AFL grand final, soccer world cup, melbourne cup etc. and new years eve), festival events for our many festivals, bars, cafes, restaurants and a tourist information centre, which is obvious and attractive, not stuck in the mall.
cheers
While I agree in general with what you say, your example is rubbish. Everything Ghery's done in the past decade has been EXACTLY the same tin foil hat design. But off of my hobby horse and back on topic. :oops:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#204 Post by Omicron » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 am

Confession - the mid-century World's Fair-esque tower is marvellous in a quaintly retro mid-century World's Fair sort of way. Of course, I'm a funny old sort with a house full of cats and tweed pants.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#205 Post by monotonehell » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:21 am

Omicron wrote:Confession - the mid-century World's Fair-esque tower is marvellous in a quaintly retro mid-century World's Fair sort of way. Of course, I'm a funny old sort with a house full of cats and tweed trousers.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#206 Post by alfer7_3 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:49 pm

monotonehell wrote:While I agree in general with what you say, your example is rubbish. Everything Ghery's done in the past decade has been EXACTLY the same tin foil hat design. But off of my hobby horse and back on topic.
thats cool. its just an example of something i think could work. cheers

User avatar
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:07 pm

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#207 Post by JamesXander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:00 pm

I like Howies metal beam tower.


And I also like my base idea :D

I drove past Vic Square today and also had a radical idea. Instead of a sunken ampitheatre, how about a hill sort of thing on the Southern side, with it facing the north. Then perhaps have the tower behind the hill of just in front. This way it could be a meeting spot for rallies, and events. Plus it would be pretty cool to get photos and stuff done. meh. Just my idea :wink:

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#208 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Or for a real pie-in-the-sky idea, have King William, Grote and Wakefield Streets tunnel under the square, with an underground bus/tram interchange also underground.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#209 Post by Pat28 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:01 pm

AtD wrote:Or for a real pie-in-the-sky idea, have King William, Grote and Wakefield Streets tunnel under the square, with an underground bus/tram interchange also underground.
mmm, pies in the sky! well we do need a central city bus interchange (maybe along the lines of Queen St in Brisbane or King George Square?)
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#210 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 pm

AtD wrote:Or for a real pie-in-the-sky idea, have King William, Grote and Wakefield Streets tunnel under the square, with an underground bus/tram interchange also underground.


GET.OUT









:P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest