#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#181 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:27 pm

monotonehell wrote:
JamesXander wrote:Defence Force. Fund a few Desalination projects so Australia can't cripple us.
Decrease business taxes and encourage investment in the new nation.
We win :D I am like scorpio out of the Simpsons, lol.
*gives James a white fluffy cat to stroke*

Can i have a white fluffy cat too?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#182 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:40 pm

I think the best kinds of toll 'roads' are public transport. Busways, Train corridors, Tram lines, they all ready include a "toll". Of course they don't pay for anything else as the shortfall is subsidised.
I always thought that pays for the petrol, servicing costs and rego, as well as a new vehicle every 25 years.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#183 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:00 am

Norman wrote:
I think the best kinds of toll 'roads' are public transport. Busways, Train corridors, Tram lines, they all ready include a "toll". Of course they don't pay for anything else as the shortfall is subsidised.
I always thought that pays for the petrol, servicing costs and rego, as well as a new vehicle every 25 years.
"Anything else" as in what James was on about raising funds for other projects. :)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#184 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 am

ReallyBad wrote:
The Carabinieri wrote:
rhino wrote:I thought Old Trafford was a cricket ground?
Its a soccer ground. Its man U's home
It is both - 2 stadiums with the same name :P
Yep, Old Trafford is the name of the suburb where they are located.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#185 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:15 pm

On another thread someone said we should have a motor museum in the CBD. Another person suggested a sports museum too - well how about having BOTH as an integral part of the inner-city stadium. But wait - there's more...consider this snippet from Alexander Downers AdelaideNow article:
To give Adelaide a lift, to make it stand out from the rest of Australia (and South-East Asia), Adelaide needs a new, innovative, spectacular public building.
This is probably not quite what Big Al had in mind, but it would be soooo cool to spend an extra $350m to make our inner-city stadium a "ball blasting" visual spectacle! Go wild, imagine the Guggenheim configured as a sports stadium! When sports events are not being held, the motor & sports museums could flow out onto the playing field. The BIG screens around the ground that normally show instant replays could integrate into the whole spectacle!

I'm now too excited and must go lay down for a while...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#186 Post by JamesXander » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Like that stadium in Germany Allianz. Except better.

woot.

But its never going to happen. Not a million years. Even I am conceeding defeat. I've debated for like 2 whole months to get a new stadium on another forum, and now I am tired and accepting that Adelaide is too conservative to accept a new stadium. The old 'nah she'll be right' attitude in Adelaide is killing any prospect of better public facilties.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#187 Post by Cruise » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:14 am

white elephant

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#188 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Cruise wrote:white elephant
With what's been put forward so far - I agree with you.

BUT I'm not considering defeat yet. The reason something becomes a white elephant is that there's no use for the thing. The only sporting body that's been interested even in passing in an inner city sports stadium has been the soccer crowd, but what they wanted was a small soccer only affair when they already have Hindmarsh... so far its a go nowhere idea.

If we can find a use for a stadium then great. Let's do it. But until then I'm going to have to cry "white elephant" along side Cruise.

Oh and don't let Frank Gehry near Adelaide, everything he's done in recent years has looked exactly the same from Spain to Anaheim. :lol: I want innovative and original. Not folded aluminium, again and again.. thanks Frank.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#189 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:02 am

monotonehell wrote:
Cruise wrote:white elephant
With what's been put forward so far - I agree with you.

BUT I'm not considering defeat yet. The reason something becomes a white elephant is that there's no use for the thing. The only sporting body that's been interested even in passing in an inner city sports stadium has been the soccer crowd, but what they wanted was a small soccer only affair when they already have Hindmarsh... so far its a go nowhere idea.

If we can find a use for a stadium then great. Let's do it. But until then I'm going to have to cry "white elephant" along side Cruise.

Oh and don't let Frank Gehry near Adelaide, everything he's done in recent years has looked exactly the same from Spain to Anaheim. :lol: I want innovative and original. Not folded aluminium, again and again.. thanks Frank.
The more I think, the more I realise how crucial the support of the SANFL is to the success of any stadium proposal for the CBD. Without their backing, there is absolutely no sense to the construction of a soccer-oriented stadium that would serve few purposes beyond the slight increase in Adelaide United crowds, and the fuzzy potential for a World Cup event in 2018 or 2022.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#190 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:18 am

I hope that it gets built in the inner city if funded by the Federal Government
and is independantly administered... It should be a stadium for all sports.
AFL, Football, Cricket, Rugby and if the SANFL doesnt like it well too bad they
can stay at run down old Football Park...

The Federal Government, State Governments and the Other Codes should build
it and then charge the SANFL scum a penalty for not getting on board earlier.

Football Park AAMI is over 30 years old and in not too long it will be 50 years old
even if you upgrade it will be a 50 year old structure.... They have to realise that
they should stop throwing good money after bad just to control rights to the
stadium....

To the sport loving public of SA all sports should be equal and have an equally world
class stadium that can benefit all not controlled by the Aussie Rules Mob just benefitting
the SANFL and AFL...

In fact they should build the Multipurpose Stadium and a State Swimming Centre
at the same place like a MEGA VENUE....

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#191 Post by Cruise » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 pm

ozisnowman wrote:
The Federal Government, State Governments and the Other Codes should build
it and then charge the SANFL scum a penalty for not getting on board earlier.

You do relise why Football park was built in the first place don't you?

because the SANFL was screwed over by SACA, and im sure they would be more than happy to stay in west lakes

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#192 Post by Cruise » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:29 pm

ozisnowman wrote: Football Park AAMI is over 30 years old and in not too long it will be 50 years old
even if you upgrade it will be a 50 year old structure.... They have to realise that
they should stop throwing good money after bad just to control rights to the
stadium....
While I'm ranting, using that theory why should we keep Adelaide Oval? it needs redeveloping and is also governed by a self-righteous sports body

(if anyone answers it's picturesque so its OK to make do with inadequate facilities, i will slap you)

rhino

#193 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Cruise wrote: (if anyone answers it's picturesque so its OK to make do with inadequate facilities, i will slap you)
Hey! That's my line! :lol:

I would say the MCG is a much older stadium than Football Park, and it's still getting refurbs.
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#194 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 pm

rhino wrote:
Cruise wrote: (if anyone answers it's picturesque so its OK to make do with inadequate facilities, i will slap you)
Hey! That's my line! :lol:

I would say the MCG is a much older stadium than Football Park, and it's still getting refurbs.
Is there any part of the MCG that is older than the Great Southern Stand, though? I was under the impression that the last of the older buildings had been demolished in the construction of the new Northern stand?

rhino

#195 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Refurbs, rebuilds, it's still the MCG and it's in the same place as always and it's older than 30 years, so Footy Park still has life left in it.
cheers,
Rhino