#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#196 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:21 pm

Only difference their is that the MCG is very close to the Melbourne CBD
is well serviced by trains and trams unlike Football Park which is in the
middle of nowhere in terms of public transport.

Can see a lot of you love your Aussie Rules Footy all i am saying is the
Federal Government and State Government should stop funding any
further upgrades of AAMI Stadium which is under the control of only
one sporting group and put the money into a Multi-Purpose sporting
venue that caters for many sports and other events. Imaging a
major rock concert over the railyards in a docklands type stadium
with ample public transport and the like it would be unreal....

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#197 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:24 pm

Its about having an easily accessible world class venue
not about which code you support... Thats why such a
stadium would have to be independantly run and neither
in the hands of the SANFL, SACA, FFSA, Rugby or the like

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#198 Post by Cruise » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:27 pm

rhino wrote:
Cruise wrote: (if anyone answers it's picturesque so its OK to make do with inadequate facilities, i will slap you)
Hey! That's my line! :lol:
:mrgreen:

yep! i just borrowed it, you can have it back now :wink:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#199 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 pm

ozisnowman wrote:Its about having an easily accessible world class venue
The SANFL will not move its games to a stadium over which it does not have full control, and the only alternative I can see is if it is compensated for the full value of the AAMI asset and potential future revenues, which would be a fantastically expensive exercise.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#200 Post by Cruise » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:34 pm

ozisnowman wrote:Its about having an easily accessible world class venue

But with out the SANFL's full support (which i can't see it getting) such a venue would become a white elephant.

Remember the SANFL makes a lot of money from Football Park.

rhino

#201 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Similarly, why would SACA move from Adelaide Oval, where they have full control, to another venue which they would be charged to use and have less, if not no, control over?
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#202 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:02 pm

rhino wrote:Similarly, why would SACA move from Adelaide Oval, where they have full control, to another venue which they would be charged to use and have less, if not no, control over?
Does the SACA own the land and buildings as does the SANFL with AAMI, or is a different arrangement?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#203 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Cruise wrote:While I'm ranting, using that theory why should we keep Adelaide Oval? it needs redeveloping and is also governed by a self-righteous sports body
(if anyone answers it's picturesque so its OK to make do with inadequate facilities, i will slap you)
:lol: i'm actually amazed the Adelaide Oval is yet to be heritage listed. This is not my personal opinion - just an observation based on the fact that various othre un-picturesque (is that a word?) structures that have managed to get listed over the years
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#204 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:26 pm

ozisnowman wrote:Only difference their is that the MCG is very close to the Melbourne CBD
is well serviced by trains and trams unlike Football Park which is in the
middle of nowhere in terms of public transport.
Trams and trains aren't the only form of PT. Adelaide is (currently) a bus city, there can be plenty of bus services that converge on Footy Park from all points when a match is on.
ozisnowman wrote:Can see a lot of you love your Aussie Rules Footy all i am saying is the
Federal Government and State Government should stop funding any
further upgrades of AAMI Stadium which is under the control of only
one sporting group and put the money into a Multi-Purpose sporting
venue that caters for many sports and other events. Imaging a
major rock concert over the railyards in a docklands type stadium
with ample public transport and the like it would be unreal....
Two points, there's not enough room on the railyards site for a stadium as I've illustrated earlier in this thread. So a inner city stadium would need to be on another location. I made a few suggestions here for alternative sites that would fit a world class stadium.

So far only the soccer people have shown any interest in a stadium. And their proposal was a soccer only venue. I agree with you that this stadium MUST be a multi purpose stadium if it's to be financially viable. But so far no one's asked the various potential tenants if they want to use it, nor have any of them said anything about it.

Until we can find cause to build this thing it's a white elephant.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#205 Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm

Two points, there's not enough room on the railyards site for a stadium as I've illustrated earlier in this thread. So a inner city stadium would need to be on another location. I made a few suggestions here for alternative sites that would fit a world class stadium.

So far only the soccer people have shown any interest in a stadium. And their proposal was a soccer only venue. I agree with you that this stadium MUST be a multi purpose stadium if it's to be financially viable. But so far no one's asked the various potential tenants if they want to use it, nor have any of them said anything about it.

Until we can find cause to build this thing it's a white elephant.
Firstly bussing to Footy park is a pain in the arse. No where near as quick or efficient as trains or trams.

Secondly it's debatable whether there is enough room at the railyards for such a stadium, according to reports I've read, there is, along with space for public squares and an arts centre.

I am a soccer person but I would argue that it has to be a multipurpose stadium to be viable.

All football codes are interested in using a potential new stadium. Fact. It's just that no one's put up their hand to pay for it...yet. As for other uses eg concerts etc, well I don't even have to argue that one.

As for a cause to build a stadium, well take your pick.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#206 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:06 pm

sorry - catching a bus to west lakes just doesn't cut it. I've never done it, and never will. Give me a CBD stadium or give me death (being sarcastic, not really thanks).

Look just how far skewed Footy Park is from the rest of our world!
footypark.JPG
footypark.JPG (47.46 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Groan...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#207 Post by Brando » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 pm

If your so sure the cut and paste job you tried will not fit, why not try and run the length of the ground along North Tce/Port Rd. I'm sure it would fit in that direction.
monotonehell wrote: Not quite enough room.
Many people have based their argument on the Stadium itself and not the 'Entertainment Precinct' that most envision for the area. The area could be developed as having residential apartments, high rise hotels, conventions, sporting museum, cafe's, bars, clubs, all as a combined and interactive venue that is user friendly with an emphasis on public accessibility. The possibilities are endless for such prime real estate and proximity to the CBD heartland.
PPP could work really well here, with private investors taking on the bulk of the residential and commercial, while the government control the stadium hand in hand with the SANFL, SACA, ICL, A-League, Entertainment and Convention centre's.
With careful planning and management from all parties involved, there is no reason why this could not work out.

Telstra Dome has a 3 level underground car park for 2500 cars. This could be built opposite HQ as a underground car park and remain parklands above with pedestrian access bridges over West Tce from Hindley St, North Tce and Port Rd all connecting and leading to the stadium and precinct.
The car park could be controlled by the State Government to recoup money. Developers would give money for land they want, the government gets money from the sale of AAMI land, Hindmarsh stadium and maybe Entertainment Ctr. Funding the stadium can be achieved.

If we can look at the big picture and create a fun, exciting and vibrant precinct, the whole area could be such a mecca for all visiting the CBD and our great State. Combine this with the Torrens upgrade, the whole river precinct would be fantastic.
I am not one for the 'build it' cliché'. I know so much more is involved and required prior to commitment and i am well aware my above comments will have holes and flaws, but all i am trying to do is get people thinking about is, how it can be done, what would be best for the area, what is best for our future.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#208 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Brando wrote:If your so sure the cut and paste job you tried will not fit, why not try and run the length of the ground along North Tce/Port Rd. I'm sure it would fit in that direction.
Because, as I've stated above a few times, an oval needs to be aligned with the sun's path over the sky. Stadium building 101. As I've also mentioned above the cut and paste picture is to scale and only includes the stadium itself, there's also the apron, and other facilities that need to be included that take up at least an additional 10%. Within certain limits they can be almost any shape so I didn't include those.
Brando wrote:Many people have based their argument on the Stadium itself and not the 'Entertainment Precinct' that most envision for the area. The area could be developed as having residential apartments, high rise hotels, conventions, sporting museum, cafe's, bars, clubs, all as a combined and interactive venue that is user friendly with an emphasis on public accessibility.
That's what I've been thinking would be the best approach, trying to make the site as diverse as possible. However if it's going on the parklands the developer would need to be very careful about private activities especially residential. All these additional facilities are another reason the railyard site is too small.
Brando wrote:The possibilities are endless for such prime real estate and proximity to the CBD heartland.
PPP could work really well here, with private investors taking on the bulk of the residential and commercial, while the government control the stadium hand in hand with the SANFL, SACA, ICL, A-League, Entertainment and Convention centre's.
With careful planning and management from all parties involved, there is no reason why this could not work out.
(The Convention centre's... what? I think you missed a word here.)
Totally agree, careful planning is important so we don't end up with a white elephant.
Brando wrote:Telstra Dome has a 3 level underground car park for 2500 cars. This could be built opposite HQ as a underground car park and remain parklands above with pedestrian access bridges over West Tce from Hindley St, North Tce and Port Rd all connecting and leading to the stadium and precinct.
The car park could be controlled by the State Government to recoup money. Developers would give money for land they want, the government gets money from the sale of AAMI land, Hindmarsh stadium and maybe Entertainment Ctr. Funding the stadium can be achieved.
I suggested this previously but then thought 'If you're building part of it across the road, why not the whole thing? '
Brando wrote:If we can look at the big picture and create a fun, exciting and vibrant precinct, the whole area could be such a mecca for all visiting the CBD and our great State. Combine this with the Torrens upgrade, the whole river precinct would be fantastic.
I am not one for the 'build it' cliché'. I know so much more is involved and required prior to commitment and i am well aware my above comments will have holes and flaws, but all i am trying to do is get people thinking about is, how it can be done, what would be best for the area, what is best for our future.
Totally agree, I've moved past the WOW LET'S BUILD A STADIUM! stage and on to the Should it be built?, How can it be built?, What purpose can it be put to?, Where's the money going to come from?

That is; I have been thinking about it.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#209 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 pm

I think Hindmarsh should be kept, as it would allow A-League games during the AFL season, as they overlap.

AAMI, however, can be sold.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#210 Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:26 pm

Totally agree, I've moved past the WOW LET'S BUILD A STADIUM! stage and on to the Should it be built?, How can it be built?, What purpose can it be put to?, Where's the money going to come from?

That is; I have been thinking about it.
Well, you're not the only one but obviously we have come to differing conclusions. I think having a stadium by itself would be somewhat of a missed opportunity as the main priority here has to be to make the most of the riverfront. However a stadium with an entertainment/cultural precinct would appeal to more than just the footy fans and in around the rail yards it would serve to lengthen the 'cultural mecca' that is North Tce creating a true boulevard stretching kilometres and including some of this state's finest institutions. This would be a true tourist drawcard, not to mention what it would add for the locals. Why not envision it as an Adelaidean Champs-Elysées stretching from the Wine Centre, past the botanic gardens, universities, galleries, museums, libraries, etc all the way down to an entertainment precinct featuring a stunning stadium, public squares, cafes, bars etc. Open up the streetscape similar to what they have already done along Adelaide Uni and that would be special...

But I digress.

All of this is to say that we cannot lose 'the vision thing' amongst the details lest it all becomes too hard and we give up before we've even started. That so far is the story of Adelaide and frankly it's a story I'm rather sick of.