#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#76 Post by BenJ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Even though I'm a fairly new member of this forum, I for one think that in the interests of promoting a balanced debate, one that is not just dominated by the APPA etc, this forum and its members have a huge potential to make themselves heard in a more mainstream way. If we let groups like the APPA dominate the airwaves, politicians will buckle easily and not much will ever change around Adelaide. There desperately needs to be another voice that expresses a more youthful, energetic and engaged approach to development.

The question is, how do we do it?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by Will409 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:04 pm

The APPA was saying that it was planning of 'stacking' the bench with it's own members. Well, who said we can't?

Anyway, take heart. If you have a look in the letters section of the Murdoch Times, look on the left hand page and there is a long opinion basically saying what we have. There is certainly a place for the Parklands to be peaceful, but not all of it has to be. That is the basic message in that opinion as well as the line "the parklands are big enough for both". As I have already said, take heart.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#78 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Brando wrote:monotonehell, i don't think it's a case of being 'classed' as pro development or not. It is certainly not a case of 'any development will do' either.
You are correct in saying about case by case merit, but if some of these minority groups continue to raise their voice and are the only people to do something about it to be heard, then they will continue to have an impact and dictate what goes on in this state and sadly the future of the state. I for one, am sick and tired of the city of Adelaide being held ransom to people that only care for themselves and have no concept of progression or achievement.
Those that agree with a development proposal also have the same right to support it and rally behind.

This post is not intended to be directed at APPA, it is merely a generalisation of the minority groups out there.
That's the problem with movements and protest groups, they often lose direction and it becomes about the protest and not about the cause.
BenJ wrote:Even though I'm a fairly new member of this forum, I for one think that in the interests of promoting a balanced debate, one that is not just dominated by the APPA etc, this forum and its members have a huge potential to make themselves heard in a more mainstream way. If we let groups like the APPA dominate the airwaves, politicians will buckle easily and not much will ever change around Adelaide. There desperately needs to be another voice that expresses a more youthful, energetic and engaged approach to development.

The question is, how do we do it?
Squeaky wheels and grease and all that... it's not that we need another voice, it's just that we need to be able to hear all the reasoned voices that are already out there that are being drowned out by all the sabre rattling of the protest groups.

Vox pops are just as much a problem as loud protest groups. Hehe, I've said it before "democracy just doesn't work" ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#79 Post by BenJ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Hehe, I've said it before "democracy just doesn't work"
Ha! Benevolent dictatorship all the way? Sounds so good in theory...
The APPA was saying that it was planning of 'stacking' the bench with it's own members. Well, who said we can't?
An interesting idea. The only catch being that (to generalise) I believe most AAPA members would be retired and therefore not have much more to do than get their voices heard. On the other hand, the rest of us are generally fairly busy. Would anyone be willing to dedicate their time to something like this? And how would one go about something like this?

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#80 Post by BenJ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:23 pm

On an aside...

Rudd's World Cup Soccer Bid
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

From the sounds of it, the powers that be seem more motivated to spend even more money on AAMI rather than invest in anything new. Missing the point methinks?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#81 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 pm

BenJ wrote:On an aside...

Rudd's World Cup Soccer Bid
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

From the sounds of it, the powers that be seem more motivated to spend even more money on AAMI rather than invest in anything new. Missing the point methinks?
Sorry I'm being dense again, Is the point that you're referring to, the desire to bring life into the centre of the city?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#82 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:52 pm

BenJ wrote:
Hehe, I've said it before "democracy just doesn't work"
Ha! Benevolent dictatorship all the way? Sounds so good in theory...
An interesting idea. The only catch being that (to generalise) I believe most AAPA members would be retired and therefore not have much more to do than get their voices heard. On the other hand, the rest of us are generally fairly busy. Would anyone be willing to dedicate their time to something like this? And how would one go about something like this?
You are correct, lobbying can be very time consuming. The path of least resistance involves the old-school method of sending individual signed letters via snail-mail. It's still very effective because most govt is still old school and responds positively to this approach! They love to stand up in parliament and shake pieces of paper in the air :roll:

The process goes something like this:
  • a) Create a set of professional looking "letter of protest" and "letter of proposal" word document templates. I'm sure there would be heaps of examples we could download from the web. Put an official "sensational-adelaide" letterhead on EVERY letter and we are suddenly a power to be reckoned with!
    b) Decide on the latest topic that needs our help
    c) Figure out exactly what we want (this is the hardest part - it needs a volunteer S-A member to act as collector/collator/distiller of information). Precise and simple requirements makes for an effective campaign
    d) Determine to whom the letters should be sent
    e) have heaps of S-A members send letters, including a few copies to the Advertiser & Independent Weekly.
Obviously without e) everything else is a waste of time. and note that petitions are not so effective coz everyone knows its easy to get signatures en-masse without people really understanding what they have signed!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#83 Post by BenJ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Sorry if that was unclear.
The point being that a national bid for the world cup will mean that Adelaide will HAVE to upgrade its existing stadium facilities as it has been pointed out that neither Adelaide oval nor AAMI currently meet FIFA requirements for hosting international matches. This bid might provide the impetus for state government to decide that an entertainment precinct on the banks of the Torrens including a stadium would be a good idea. It also means that there is a liklihood of at least some federal government funding to become available for such a project.

However in the article posted above Rann rules this out, instead opting to spend more money on AAMI. Not particularly forward looking in my opinion, as he completely disregards the benefits of an inner city stadium/riverside entertainment precinct and the life it would injet into the city. He also completely over exagerates the cost of a stadium, saying it would cost $1 billion as opposed to the $270 Million plan outlined by Adelaide United a week or so ago.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#84 Post by JamesXander » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 pm

G'day fellas. Can you help me out here. I am having a little arguement at the moment that the Stadium issue is a 'Major' issue and that it does have the support of the general public. If you can direct me to anything that will help me with this arguement it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

James

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by AG » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:34 pm

JamesXander wrote:G'day fellas. Can you help me out here. I am having a little arguement at the moment that the Stadium issue is a 'Major' issue and that it does have the support of the general public. If you can direct me to anything that will help me with this arguement it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

James
You have this entire thread at your disposal. :wink:

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#86 Post by JamesXander » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:39 pm

Yeah I've used a poll from this thread, but apparently its not fair because its only a small sample and uncontrolled, even though it still has a 91% postive support vote.

I need solid evidence. I've indicated the number of articles in the paper, the oppositions master plan, polls, even editorials.

I am not the best debater, so any more help would be great!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Wayno » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 am

JamesXander wrote:G'day fellas. Can you help me out here. I am having a little arguement at the moment that the Stadium issue is a 'Major' issue and that it does have the support of the general public. If you can direct me to anything that will help me with this arguement it would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, James
Here's a link to the only evidence i am aware of ==> http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 435#p28829. This AdelaideNow poll covered over 2000 people with the majority being in favor of the stadium. We tend to see "major" issues receiving thousands of votes on the AdelaideNow website (as in this case) whilst "minor" issues only receive a few hundred votes. I know that's a simplistic comparison. Hope this helps.

You could also say this website and its 1000 members is very firm evidence of support for the stadium - and many other initiaitives as well!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by Brando » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:11 am

Cheers,

James
Waverley Park Melbourne mate.
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=133

Read this and see how similar this was to how AAMI is now. Melbourne built Colonial Stadium, now Telstra Dome and yes, they did make mistakes and cost was a lot, but we can learn from their mistakes and benefit.
I lived in Melbourne and followed my Essendon Bombers religously and it was the best going to the pub before a Saturday game in the city watching the trams packed with supporters, streets packed with team colours or a Fri night game, with a convincing win over Collingwood :wink: , celebrating the win by continuing the night in the city. Everyone was happy, well most. Win or Lose...
Sometimes it was even better if a concert finished at The Dome too, the city was packed with thousands more people that otherwise wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the stadiums nearby.

Quote from link above.
"A downfall of Waverley Park was its location. While it’s actually located near the geographic centre of Melbourne and serviced by a major freeway, it’s a long way from the CBD and lacks public transport. The ground did however have a huge car park, although it seemed to take hours to escape it following the game."
How much does that sound like AAMI.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#89 Post by Brando » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:33 am

Does anyone know the size of land AAMI Stadium and it's surrounding land that is/would be allowed to be developed?

Reason i ask is, in the link i posted above, Waverley sold in 2001 of $700 million for the 80-hectare site.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#90 Post by Cruise » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:30 am

still, wouldnt it be better just to build a train line to football park?