#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Diamond
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#166 Post by Diamond » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:27 pm

The Carabinieri wrote:
rev wrote:A new stadium, inner city location, should be built with the World Cup in mind, not AFL.
If it has to be another oval shaped pitch, then I hope they design it so seating can be added in to make the pitch rectangular. Of course it would then need to have a roof as all seating for WC stadiums need to be under cover.
I wonder what FIFA says about stadiums with closed roofs?
I dont think FIFA would allow closed roof ... as it would then become indoor. However, if you look at stadiums in europe, they are all open, however, they have all seats undercover.
Germeny '06 had the AufSchalke Arena (now known as the Veltins Arena) and Korea/Japan '02 had the Sapporo Dome and Oita 'Big Eye' Stadium, all indoor arenas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins-Arena
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Dome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cita_Stadium
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

The Carabinieri
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#167 Post by The Carabinieri » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Diamond wrote:
The Carabinieri wrote:
rev wrote:A new stadium, inner city location, should be built with the World Cup in mind, not AFL.
If it has to be another oval shaped pitch, then I hope they design it so seating can be added in to make the pitch rectangular. Of course it would then need to have a roof as all seating for WC stadiums need to be under cover.
I wonder what FIFA says about stadiums with closed roofs?
I dont think FIFA would allow closed roof ... as it would then become indoor. However, if you look at stadiums in europe, they are all open, however, they have all seats undercover.
Germeny '06 had the AufSchalke Arena (now known as the Veltins Arena) and Korea/Japan '02 had the Sapporo Dome and Oita 'Big Eye' Stadium, all indoor arenas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins-Arena
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Dome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cita_Stadium

by all means, build it so the roof can close ... but the fact is, soccer is a winter sport ... its meant to be played in the rain, so they would keep it open. I am a mad soccer fan, and have not seen a game where the roof was closed.

The most important thing, would be to have it so the fans are under cover.

These are some stadiums where the fans are undercover:

Anfield - Liverpool

Old Trafford - Man U

Stadio Olimpico - Roma/lazio (this is a good example of a stadium that is round, which is what they would want if they wanna play AFL games on it as well

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#168 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:25 pm

I thought Old Trafford was a cricket ground?
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:52 pm

monotonehell wrote:I'm yet to be convinced that the average patrons of AFL matches will flow into the CBD an make use of the clubs, pubs and restaurants. More likely they'd crown in and crowd out again at the end of their event. But perhaps AFL wouldn't be the only use of an inner city stadium?
Tyler_Durden wrote:Football fans make use of West Lakes Mall and the eateries there in huge numbers before and after games so I think it's fair to say there will be a large number that would flow to and from the city. Obviously it would only be a percentage but even only 5,000 - 10,000 out of 40,000 would make some impact on the city. And many would spend the whole day.
Brando wrote:Your joking right? Clearly you have no idea what your talking about. So you honestly think that everyone will stroll into town, watch the game and disappear?
teflon fox wrote:If you have ever been to the Telstra dome or M.C.G. to a football match you would see that
a good proportion of the crowd goes into the city afterwards - not just to get trams straight
home - they spend money in the pubs/clubs and restaurants. Obviously everyone wont but
even if 10-15% do it will make a huge difference to the vibrancy of the C.B.D. as well as being
a financial boon for the businesses.
The Carabinieri wrote:Not just that ... you would also build bars/clubs, cafes, restaurants, and even accomidation near the city ... WHich then makes it more than just a sporting event, as you have things to do afterwards.

Just look at some of the new stadiums they built in germany .... withing the stadium, they have a hotel rooms, clubs and restaurants .... A very smart thing to do
Matt wrote:The point that it's debatable that people would stay in the city and bars, cafes, etc, is a joke.

Anyone that's been to the footy in Melbourne or Sydney would have seen the amount of vibrancy it gives to the place on match days.
Melbourne is brilliant on weekends - it's awash with people in their scarves and guernseys.
Sydney, which is a one team town, is the same. The bars and restaurants that neighbour the SCG are always packed full of Swans supporters before and after games.

Look at West Lakes Mall. It's adjacent to AAMI Stadium and a heap of people go there to shop or eat beforehand.
Of course the same would happen in town, not to mention after games.

I think it would do wonders for the city.
God knows we need something to pump some life into the city and city streets. Adelaide is nothing short of DEAD on weekends.
I'm not "joking", I'm looking for something to back up these statements.

I based my uncertainty on this point from working at Adelaide Oval for a few years. The crowds would all crowd in, park on Pinky Flat,The Hill or The Triangle, watch the cricket / football and then all crowd out and drive off. After I finished work I'd head down to Adelaide and it was dead. I wasn't saying that I completely disbelieve that there'd be follow on business, just that it's been my experience that AFL and Cricket don't bring business into Adelaide, so I'm looking for some indication that it would other than statements asserting it would without any evidence. What Matt says about West Lakes is encouraging.

Did anyone else pick up on the point in that article that Brando posted, regarding taxing Pokies to help fund a stadium? That seems a little off, I don't think taxing one sector to fund a public project would be a popular decision. I'd love to see the shit-fest if that was proposed by some major stakeholder / govt. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Carabinieri
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#170 Post by The Carabinieri » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:20 pm

rhino wrote:I thought Old Trafford was a cricket ground?
Its a soccer ground. Its man U's home

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by JamesXander » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:10 pm

I think a fund should atleast be established, to fund plans etc. I would not mind paying and extra $2-3 a game in the hope of a new stadium.

Whats something the Government would make alot of money out of from footy?

I was going to say the footy express...but now thats free. haha.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#172 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:34 am

JamesXander wrote:I think a fund should atleast be established, to fund plans etc. I would not mind paying and extra $2-3 a game in the hope of a new stadium.
That's assuming that the footy organisations want to get into one. Have they put out a statement as yet?
JamesXander wrote:What's something the Government would make a lot of money out of from footy?
I was going to say the footy express...but now that's free. haha.
:lol: yes! Also considering that PT is subsidised probably not. Maybe they could sell lamingtons. If every man, woman and child living in Adelaide donated $1000 each we'd have enough. That's a lot of lamingtons... ;)

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#173 Post by JamesXander » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:53 am

Well I thought the increase in ticket prices was an alright idea, atleast fund the planning and maybe design phase.

Just like The Vic Sq developement could be funded if a congestion tax were implemented 8)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#174 Post by AG » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 am

JamesXander wrote:Well I thought the increase in ticket prices was an alright idea, atleast fund the planning and maybe design phase.

Just like The Vic Sq developement could be funded if a congestion tax were implemented 8)
That would truly annoy a lot of motorists. A PPP might be an idea worth considering for a new stadium.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#175 Post by ReallyBad » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:26 pm

The Carabinieri wrote:
rhino wrote:I thought Old Trafford was a cricket ground?
Its a soccer ground. Its man U's home
It is both - 2 stadiums with the same name :P
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#176 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm

JamesXander wrote:Just like The Vic Sq developement could be funded if a congestion tax were implemented 8)
:lol: James, you're shaping up to become one popular politician (sarcasm) :lol:

I love you, you evil evil man ;) mwahaha

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#177 Post by JamesXander » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Just wait till I introduce toll roads.

Toll Roads+Congestion Tax= Ability to fund all our dreams.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#178 Post by JamesXander » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:55 pm

How about this, sceed from Australia. Proclaim an independent nation. Have no Defence Force. Fund a few Desalination projects so Australia can't cripple us.

Decrease business taxes and encourage investment in the new nation.

We win :D I am like scorpio out of the Simpsons, lol.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#179 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:59 pm

JamesXander wrote:Just wait till I introduce toll roads.

Toll Roads+Congestion Tax= Ability to fund all our dreams.
I think the best kinds of toll 'roads' are public transport. Busways, Train corridors, Tram lines, they all ready include a "toll". Of course they don't pay for anything else as the shortfall is subsidised.

Seriously I don't think sticks (taxes) work to shape society unless a better alternative is available. Otherwise you just end up with a lot of disgruntled people who are looking for ways to cheat the system.

Carrots with small sticks to make people realise that the carrot is available.How about this, sceed from Australia. Proclaim an independent nation. Have no
JamesXander wrote:Defence Force. Fund a few Desalination projects so Australia can't cripple us.
Decrease business taxes and encourage investment in the new nation.
We win :D I am like scorpio out of the Simpsons, lol.
*gives James a white fluffy cat to stroke*

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#180 Post by JamesXander » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Imagine if WA had sceeded from Australia though. Would have been tough at first. But by god they would all be driving golden cars and using money as toilet paper now.

Lucky the suckers fell in line though