Time out for a bit of retro utopian urban planning

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Time out for a bit of retro utopian urban planning

#1 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:41 pm

When it comes to (I love it when Emperor Rudd says that) urban planning, sometimes it's fun and educational to look back at old thought.

I'm sure all of your have heard of Walt Disney, and Disneyland. You may also be aware of Epcot Center at Walt Disney World, Florida. But how many of you are aware of the plans that Uncy Walt had for his EPCOT (Experimental Planned Community Of Tomorrow)? The Epcot Center we have today is little more than a World's Fair inspired Theme Park, where as what Walt had in mind before he died was a much grander scale idea - a planned community of industry, recreation and residential all showcasing the 'latest' in modern thought on transport and urban living.

Now many of you with short attention spans will scoff at this video, and due to its old school editing, will get bored because the shot doesn't dynamically change every 10 seconds. But if you're willing to pay attention and 'think between the lines' there's a lot of interesting stuff in here. Specifically regarding high and low density living and public transport.

Some of the ideas are possibly a bit out there (although for every idea presented I can think of a recent example that has been or is being built right now) but please sit back, engage your thinking glands and enjoy Uncy Walt's vision of the Future...

It's 24 minutes long. The introduction goes for about 5 minutes and is about Disneyland, you can skip it if you want, but it is relevant. Walt's introduction comes next and things really get started at about the 12 minute mark, but again only skip if you're a hyperactive monkey, it's all worth it! ;)

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Time out for a bit of retro utopian urban planning

#2 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:54 pm

WOW!!! if had had taken off it may have just worked

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Cruise wrote:WOW!!! if had had taken off it may have just worked
I love the Wedway Peoplemover concept. I rode the test models in Disneyland and DisneyWorld's Magic Kindom, they way that they never stop is brilliant. They just slow down at the stations and a moving walkway is speed matched along side. So passengers just step on or off of them. Also the capacity is impressive.

The original version used motor driven rubber tyres embedded in the track...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeopleMover

The MK versions used linear induction motors in the track which push metal plates on the base of the cars instead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrowla ... _Authority

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Yes, it's a fascinating project. I love how the Internet has made this sort of random information so easily available to me when I'm sitting home on a Sunday night due to acute poverty, when I ought to be one of those youthful drinkers Mr. Rudd loves so much. Alas.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 pm

so when are they going to thaw Walt out anyway?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Cruise wrote:so when are they going to thaw Walt out anyway?
That's Walt non-fact #24b

He ain't frozen. He's just pain dead. I love how the fact that they buried a time capsule in front of Disneyland Castle back in the mid 1990s has mutated to "Walt's frozen head is kept in a chamber under the Disneyland Castle." :wank:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Something about that concept reminds me of The Truman Show.

Also, it reminded me of Canberra - Walter Burley Griffin's plan was not too dissimilar, and a few decades ealier.

Thanks for the link Mono, it was worth watching.
cheers,
Rhino