Railyards... what do you want done to them?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Railyards... what do you want done to them?

#151 Post by jk1237 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 pm

agreed, we have more than enough parklands.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#152 Post by Norman » Thu May 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Before we get MORE parklands under some belt, let's make better/more efficient use of the parklands we already have.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by cleverick » Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 am

I have mentioned the propensity of this forum to gobble up free space for some building or other before. And while I support a better use of the parklands, that's not to say they are at present wasted. Parkland has value just for being- for providing a buffer between the CBD and the suburbs, which people- if the ACC would provide decent footpaths- could use to brighten an otherwise dreary walk home. We have a Chinese exchange student at the moment, he is amazed at the birds- Beijing has no birds.
They have a psychological, physical and aura benefit simply by being. They don't need to be used by humans to provide what they do.

That said, I think we could use them much more to attact people to the City- but not for buildings stadiums, more like for laying out English gardens, or a mallee forest with scrub and billabong in Victoria park, or any number of open-space uses.

But not a stadium, and not a hospital.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#154 Post by rhino » Fri May 09, 2008 7:25 am

[quote="cleverick"]
They have a psychological, physical and aura benefit simply by being. They don't need to be used by humans to provide what they do.[quote]

Exactly. But there are a lot of them, and we can afford to build on them if the space taken by the building (e.g. the hospital) is going to be returned in another part of the parklands (the old hospital site).

[quote]
That said, I think we could use them much more to attact people to the City- but not for buildings stadiums, more like for laying out English gardens, or a mallee forest with scrub and billabong in Victoria park, or any number of open-space uses. [quote]

Good ideas. I walk through either the south parklands or the east parklands almost every morning and evening on my way to/from work, and I certainly appreciate them.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by Wayno » Fri May 09, 2008 7:58 am

Norman wrote:Before we get MORE parklands under some belt, let's make better/more efficient use of the parklands we already have.
yep, good point. People might not be so "anti-parklands" if the existing space was made to be appreciated rather than rammed down our throats...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#156 Post by Wayno » Fri May 09, 2008 8:00 am

cleverick wrote:We have a Chinese exchange student at the moment, he is amazed at the birds- Beijing has no birds.
i travel to china quite a bit for work. Beijing city does have birds, hard to see through the smog though...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron

#157 Post by Omicron » Fri May 09, 2008 11:27 pm

If the Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association wasn't quite so absolutist in its views, I suspect many more people would be receptive to the idea of appropriate and sensible parklands preservation. The core objectives of the Constitution are essentially sound - written logically, with clear aims and ideologies, but far too often are brought down by almost juvenile, simplistic and dismissive approaches to proposals and plans.

urban
Legendary Member!

#158 Post by urban » Thu May 15, 2008 5:07 pm

AtD wrote:Adelaide has too much parklands! Have you ever actually been to any of them other than the east and Torrens?
As someone who has always lived in or near the CBD I actually can't think of any part of the parklands I haven't used or visited at some point in my life.

rhino

#159 Post by rhino » Fri May 16, 2008 10:49 am

urban wrote: As someone who has always lived in or near the CBD I actually can't think of any part of the parklands I haven't used or visited at some point in my life.
I don't live anywhere near the CBD but I, too, have used and visited every part of the parklands.
cheers,
Rhino

Mants
Legendary Member!

#160 Post by Mants » Sat May 17, 2008 12:05 am

for anybody who has ever played club or school sport (footy, soccer, cricket, golf, etc.) i'm sure they have visited most, if not all, of the parklands.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#161 Post by AtD » Sat May 17, 2008 12:25 am

Including the horse paddocks in the north east? Then there's the unused fields of the south west (aka the Royal Showgrounds overflow car park)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#162 Post by monotonehell » Sat May 17, 2008 1:29 am

AtD wrote:Including the horse paddocks in the north east? Then there's the unused fields of the south west (aka the Royal Showgrounds overflow car park)
So what you're saying is the only unused areas are... no wait both the examples you gave are used... ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#163 Post by cleverick » Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 am

Anthropocentrism! All parklands are used by birds and opossums, trees and shrubs. We should value that these things exist, not just because it's lovely to have birds fly past your head as you walk to school in the morning, or watch the parrots pick at the grass on your way home from uni, but simply because they exist. This mantra that all space must be used by humans for something to enrich us further seems... rather unfair to everything else, really.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#164 Post by monotonehell » Sat May 17, 2008 1:40 am

cleverick wrote:Anthropocentrism! All parklands are used by birds and opossums, trees and shrubs. We should value that these things exist, not just because it's lovely to have birds fly past your head as you walk to school in the morning, or watch the parrots pick at the grass on your way home from uni, but simply because they exist. This mantra that all space must be used by humans for something to enrich us further seems... rather unfair to everything else, really.
Good point. A small portion of our urban environment should be preserved for some animals otherwise the city becomes quite sick.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#165 Post by cleverick » Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 am

And by "small portion" you mean the entire area between the terraces and the end of ACC jurisdiction, no?