Different places; different paradigms.

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Different places; different paradigms.

#1 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:16 pm

This thread is intended for posting different approaches from around the World in transport, urban architecture, sustainability in architecture and urban areas, and any other development related ideas. The idea is to keep all of these in one place as a tool box of components to inspire our own visions for Adelaide.

Copenhagen's attitude toward bikes

Interesting video of the bicycle commuters in Copenhagen. The sheer quantity of bikes is amazing. The video's a bit long, but you have to keep an eye out for the subtitles that point out different facts along the way. The way that bus passengers conflict with the bike lanes is interesting.

Shared spaces

I've posted these before but they're lost in the middle of the roundabout thread. Shared Spaces is an interesting counter-intuitive paradigm shift in who "owns" the roads. The idea is to bring vehicles, and bikes down to the same level as pedestrians by removing all traffic controls (signs, traffic lights etc). In this way, everyone must look out for everyone else. It encourages eye contact and interaction between pedestrians and drivers in order to negotiate right of way.

Introduction to Shared Space - Part 1 of 2

Introduction to Shared Space - Part 2 of 2

Shared Space UK

Just to prove that the Shared Space guys didn't invent the idea

MOAR! info: http://www.youtube.com/user/Sharedspace
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Different places; different paradigms.

#2 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 pm

We've had that posted before :wink:

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:53 pm

monotonehell wrote:Interesting video of the bicycle commuters in Copenhagen. The sheer quantity of bikes is amazing.
I'll say! It certainly makes you think what might happen if the ACC had used the money they spent on that "solar" bus to instead install a buttload of bicycle racks around the city and buy a big fleet of cheap bicycles that can be unlocked from the stands by using a $50 token that you get back when you rack it again. (Like airport luggage trolleys.) I'd imagine it would be a smash hit with students. 1,000 bicycles with racks near student accommodation and universities would be a good start and shouldn't be that much to try out as if it fails the bicycles can be sold :)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 am

Bulldozer wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Interesting video of the bicycle commuters in Copenhagen. The sheer quantity of bikes is amazing.
I'll say! It certainly makes you think what might happen if the ACC had used the money they spent on that "solar" bus to instead install a buttload of bicycle racks around the city and buy a big fleet of cheap bicycles that can be unlocked from the stands by using a $50 token that you get back when you rack it again. (Like airport luggage trolleys.) I'd imagine it would be a smash hit with students. 1,000 bicycles with racks near student accommodation and universities would be a good start and shouldn't be that much to try out as if it fails the bicycles can be sold :)
These community bicycle programmes are quite popular in many European cities. The best system I came across was Vélib' in Paris; I had no need to make use of it, but it did seem to be in decent use (especially for winter) and there were stations all over the place. It's something that could be easily implemented in Adelaide.
Keep Adelaide Weird

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by jk1237 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 am

excellent bike thread. I ride my bike into town atleast 3 times a week, and Ive noticed the major bike arteries in the city (ie the streets with most bikes)
1. Pulteney St. The Unley bike route which runs between Unley Rd and Duthy St, feeds into Pulteney St which now has bike lanes. Many riders continue to Adel Uni
2. King William St south. The Goodwood bike track which follows the tram line feeds into King Wil street and has a bike lane up to Vic Sq. From Vic Sq its danger mouse time as no bike lanes
3. Rundle St, this is great route from Norwood, as there are bike lanes through Rundle St (Kent Town), however the bike lane in Rundle St in the city are fading out and cars are ignoring them. Needs to be repainted
4. Frome St, a bike track from Walkerville which goes through Botanic Park feeds into Frome St, which has its own bike lane on the footpath, however Frome St south of North Tce is dangerous as no bike lanes, the car lanes are narrow and then you have the opening door trick from parked cars

There are quite a few other streets but those 4 seem to be the busy bike ones. Grote St is much better as there is now a bike lane.
If your new to riding in the city, its not bad. A major warning is those white cars with a taxi sign on top. Dont want to be racist, but the new Australians that drive them have no f#cking idea when it comes to bicycles. They will cut you off even when they know your there. They will park in bike lanes and then get out and rest against the drivers side door, so us bikes have no where to go, when a car is coming past us. I feel like punching them on my way past when they do this. They are complete morons

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 am

I didn't actually intend this to be a bike only thread, it's just looking that way. Any kind of urban application or idea is valid.

Super happy time for bikes in Tokyo!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.