Tramline: Where should they go?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Pat28
High Rise Poster!

Tramline: Where should they go?

#1 Post by Pat28 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Just thinking, besides an expansion of heavy rail services, where would one want to have a tramline go? (i know shocking english). I think its fairly a given that a tramline would be looped back to Vic Square and line to the Airport and up The Parade.

Any other areas? or should we just invest invest invest in reinstating the network of 1958?
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

urban
Legendary Member!

Re: Tramline: Where should they go?

#2 Post by urban » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm

The other 2 roads which would appear ideally suited to trams are Henley Beach Rd and Prospect Rd with Prospect Rd providing the greatest benefit given the infill development and predominance of Housing Trust at the northern end.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 pm

I agree with Urban with those two locations but here is a more consolidated list of places which i believe will be beneficial for tram routes. note that these places are either cultural boulevards (with small scale street retail, cafes) and are also within areas of mix use and low / medium (to also help promote higher) densities:
- From City down Henley Beach Road to Henley Square
- From City down Sir Donald Bradman Drive to Adelaide Airport
- From City down Prospect Road and those suburbs
- Frim City down Magill Road to UniSA Magill Campus
- From City down the Parade to those suburbs
- From City down Unley Road / Mitcham Road to the Mitcham Shopping Centre
- From City down Goodwood Road to Westbourne Park (possibly even Marion Shopping Centre)

And I agree with Pat28 to bascially look at reinventing the old Adelaide tram line system!!

loooovveee trams!!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Shuz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:00 pm

I think its a given for trams west to the Airport via S.D.B.D and Henley Beach and Crittenden Roads (via Grange Road) , trams east down Magill Road and the Parade all the way to the foothills, trams north to Prospect Road, trams south via King William Street. I think trams should also go down the old Glenelg rail corridor (via CityWest through Richmond), trams down O'Connell, Jeffcott, Melbourne streets. As for the CBD - they should have trams running every 2nd block east-west, and along all north/south traffic corridors. There should also be a Glenelg loop via Durham, Mosely, Partridge, Pier, Old Tapleys and Anzac. The Grange railway line should be operated by trams and not heavy rail - wouldn't it be cheaper that way?

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Hippodamus wrote:I agree with Urban with those two locations but here is a more consolidated list of places which i believe will be beneficial for tram routes. note that these places are either cultural boulevards (with small scale street retail, cafes) and are also within areas of mix use and low / medium (to also help promote higher) densities:
- From City down Henley Beach Road to Henley Square
- From City down Sir Donald Bradman Drive to Adelaide Airport
- From City down Prospect Road and those suburbs
- Frim City down Magill Road to UniSA Magill Campus
- From City down the Parade to those suburbs
- From City down Unley Road / Mitcham Road to the Mitcham Shopping Centre
- From City down Goodwood Road to Westbourne Park (possibly even Marion Shopping Centre)

And I agree with Pat28 to bascially look at reinventing the old Adelaide tram line system!!

loooovveee trams!!
I think a tram loop with in the CBD linking all four smaller city squares is a must, and then onto the inner city suburbs that have new high density housing prospects, obviously the Clipsal site but I think areas like Kent Town have huge potential.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm

I think TODs are better served by light or heavy rail, but trams are good for the classic mid-density suburbs.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Norman wrote:I think TODs are better served by light or heavy rail, but trams are good for the classic mid-density suburbs.
What is the difference between a tram and light rail?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Jim wrote:
Norman wrote:I think TODs are better served by light or heavy rail, but trams are good for the classic mid-density suburbs.
A tram rides on street tracks, light rail is mostly on independant track (well, that's my definition anyway)

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm

Norman wrote:
Jim wrote:
A tram rides on street tracks, light rail is mostly on independant track (well, that's my definition anyway)
Our tram is perhaps light rail into the city and then becomes a tram? Or would light rail perhaps have overpasses.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 pm

There's probably no difference or a debatable difference between definitions of trams / light / heavy rail and etc. BUT I believe the distinction between uses that Norman was trying to make is an important one.

TODs need PT connections that move between the TOD centres with no or few stops inbetween. So there's easily accessible and timely transport from the TOD to distant centres. - That's usually the role of light rail (light vehicles, frequent services, very few stops) or sometimes heavy rail (if you're dealing in large amounts of passengers and less frequent services to more distant centres).

Then to get about inside the TODs you need some kind of high frequency, multiple stop, short run system. Something that interfaces with the urban mesh (as someone on this board is want to say). That's probably a tram, people movers or buses.

But as I said the mode of transport matched to the need of the community is the important distinction.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

urban
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by urban » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:38 pm

That's fabric dammit.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:49 pm

urban wrote:That's fabric dammit.
Hook, line, and sinker. :lol: ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:58 pm

The next stop is Adelaide Oval, for sporting events.

To stop at Brougham Place, Stop 1, please request now.

Last edited by Shuz on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Shuz, only numbered stops have the "Please request now" ;)

And the correct announcement would be "To stop at Brougham Place, Stop 1, please request now" :)

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Düsseldorfer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Norman wrote:Shuz, only numbered stops have the "Please request now" ;)

And the correct announcement would be "To stop at Brougham Place, Stop 1, please request now" :)
haha what's with all the request stops: "Next Stop, Brougham Place", request stops are ok for the Glenelg line where there is a stop every 5 metres, but for one thru North Adelaide/Norwood trams should just stop anyway... just my :2cents:

but otherwise, thx for the pics, giving us a possible view of what our city might look like in the near future. I've always thought North Adelaide would look much nicer with a tram running through it

lol and would be nice too if our trams/trains told us which side to get off on, nearly all German trams and trains do it: "austieg infahrt richtung links/rechts" translation: "exit to the left/right in the direction of travel"...i mean if the German's do it, it must be efficient...right? :wink: