Governors Place

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Governors Place

#16 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:45 am

Can any on think of an alternative place to put the gov? That may get the ball rolling.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:49 am

Jim wrote:Can any on think of an alternative place to put the gov? That may get the ball rolling.

Any house not in prime real estate on North Terrace?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Jim wrote:Can any on think of an alternative place to put the gov? That may get the ball rolling.
The Governor doesn't necessarily need to move. But there's always Marble Hill once it's rebuilt.

Then again, we don't have to provide the Governor a residence at all. New South Wales hasn't since 1996.
Last edited by SRW on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#19 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Well, if NSW can do it, so can we. Why should they be given a residence with our taxpaying money? All I know is they have it bloody easy with their dinners and parties and functions.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:13 pm

i like it its like our own little white house, but i think the gardens should be done up and the fence shouldn't be a stone wall but one like the white house so you can see the house and gardens

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Shuz wrote:Well, if NSW can do it, so can we. Why should they be given a residence with our taxpaying money? All I know is they have it bloody easy with their dinners and parties and functions.
It is important for the Governor to host receptions and other ceremonial functions (we wouldn't want a completely useless figurehead), and Government House is retained in Sydney for this purpose. The Governor just doesn't live there.
aussie2000 wrote:i like it its like our own little white house, but i think the gardens should be done up and the fence shouldn't be a stone wall but one like the white house so you can see the house and gardens
That's a fair point. But I don't think the romance of the place holds with most people anymore.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:38 pm

It would be better to put the Governor in the Spire penthouse! I bet no other state has their figurehead living 30 stories up! Then he could really show off Adelaide! :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Wayno wrote:It would be better to put the Governor in the Spire penthouse! I bet no other state has their figurehead living 30 stories up! Then he could really show off Adelaide! :)
Great Idea!

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:44 pm

SRW wrote:Referring back to the old thread, there is always the war memorial trail/walk proposal...

My interest in seeing the wall come down is really due to the incredible opportunity it presents to provide for greater accessibility between the Torrens and the city - between the East End and the Riverbank Precinct. The alienation of the River from the city is one of the biggest gripes I have about certain developments along the 'Terrace'.
Nothing is really new, was a good idea then and still is.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#25 Post by Omicron » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Jim wrote:
Wayno wrote:It would be better to put the Governor in the Spire penthouse! I bet no other state has their figurehead living 30 stories up! Then he could really show off Adelaide! :)
Great Idea!
Not so much. At this stage, the Spire penthouse hasn't any windows, the ground level is a giant roller door with an angry face painted on, and the main external finish is exposed concrete scrubbed raw by Mexicans lost on their way to the US border crossing.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:15 pm

SRW wrote:Referring back to the old thread, there is always the war memorial trail/walk proposal...

My interest in seeing the wall come down is really due to the incredible opportunity it presents to provide for greater accessibility between the Torrens and the city - between the East End and the Riverbank Precinct. The alienation of the River from the city is one of the biggest gripes I have about certain developments along the 'Terrace'.
While I agree that some of the developments along North Tce do this, you must remember that the Torrens takes a northerly turn at the Festival Centre and alienates itself from North Tce by almost half a kilometre from King William Road to Frome Road and almost a kilometre there after.

The place to worry about interface is between King William Street and West Tce where the river is within a short walking distance.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:13 am

I agree in a ideal world I would like to see the rail yards covered in with a plaza ideally with direct access to the river. If we have to have the Marj on the Torrens I would like to see it either take up less of the site by being taller or at least build it on top of another civic space project. The first few levels could be set aside for, restaurants, new rowing club rooms, markets, convention rooms. I think a 24hr hospital may actually work well with some other river front activities as it’s thousands of staff, and visitors it would give a critical mass to make some businesses more viable than with out it.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:41 am

monotonehell wrote: While I agree that some of the developments along North Tce do this, you must remember that the Torrens takes a northerly turn at the Festival Centre and alienates itself from North Tce by almost half a kilometre from King William Road to Frome Road and almost a kilometre there after.

The place to worry about interface is between King William Street and West Tce where the river is within a short walking distance.
Oh, of course. One of the 'certain developments' I was alluding to is the ASER project. But the fact remains that to open the Governor's grounds would much improve accessibility between two of the city's most patronised areas (and hopefully provide a significant boost to the Riverbank's). Also, presumably, the Governor's grounds would become more of an attraction itself.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:34 am

Jim wrote: The parade grounds could be developed into a “people’s amphitheater to seat up to 20,000 for concerts. The stage rooms and amenities could be built under Victoria drive and link to redeveloped restaurants at the jollies boat house site. :D :D
The area is not just the Govs' place it would include the parade grounds, the hill above, Victoria Drive and Jollies Boat House. This would also nicely compliment the River Zoo on another thread.