River Zoo

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

River Zoo

#1 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Zoo Development
by Jim on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Adelaide’s parklands are fantastic but so under used. I would be all in favor of expanding the zoo across, and including the Torrens river in its landscaping. Enclosures with viewing access to the river would possibly be unique, it would enhance the Popeye experience and rehabilitate a pretty neglected bit of river bank so close to the city. Some nice architectural river foot bridges would be a nice touch. Jim
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

Re: River Zoo

#2 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Great idea and I would be all for it. but... there is always a but..

the parkland humpers would come in full force and there would be a lot of negative reaction about privatising space, and eliminating the torrens river cycling / walking trails.

i've thought of it before too, i think it could be rather interesting with the zoo over a river.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm

i always thought it would be cool and unique if the entire parklands around the city were turned into a public botanical gardens with modern glass public buildings and museums scattered around it (even if there were only a couple) and glass pedestrian brides across the roads leading in and out of the city (mainly the roads on the west, south and east sides) that would be a vision but the $$$$ :(

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:45 pm

aussie2000 wrote:i always thought it would be cool and unique if the entire parklands around the city were turned into a public botanical gardens with modern glass public buildings and museums scattered around it (even if there were only a couple) and glass pedestrian brides across the roads leading in and out of the city (mainly the roads on the west, south and east sides) that would be a vision but the $$$$ :(
Totally agree, the River Zoo would be a good start.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Hippodamus wrote:Great idea and I would be all for it. but... there is always a but..

the parkland humpers would come in full force and there would be a lot of negative reaction about privatising space, and eliminating the torrens river cycling / walking trails.

i've thought of it before too, i think it could be rather interesting with the zoo over a river.
I think the issues with the cycle and walking tracks could be overcome in the landscaping, it would be also be nice to add a wharf for Popeye, and a restaurant.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:00 pm

The parklands mob actually want the zoo removed..

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 pm

muzzamo wrote:The parklands mob actually want the zoo removed..
Muzzamo -They have no idea!! I can understand removing an eyesore like the police barracks on Port road, but the zoo, idiots. Let’s give Adelaide some vision to be a better place and get people back into the parks rather than just drive past them.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Pat28 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Jim wrote:
muzzamo wrote:The parklands mob actually want the zoo removed..
Muzzamo -They have no idea!! I can understand removing an eyesore like the police barracks on Port road, but the zoo, idiots. Let’s give Adelaide some vision to be a better place and get people back into the parks rather than just drive past them.
The Zoo has been around for ages and no parkland humper should be allowed to even mention closing or doing anything to the ZOO, those parkland humpers shouldbe one of the exhibits
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Wouldn’t it be good to come up with a number of parkland ideas that puts the Parklands people in there place? I don’t want to build all over them just make them usable people spaces.