How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

#31 Post by joshzxzx » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Norman wrote:Give me a good location for a skyline shot that's close enough to the city and I will take it on Monday night.
Good work guys, this will enable people that research our great state to really see what is offers, we may even be able to upload some ready good footage of Glenelg, Adelaide city, barossa Valley etc on you tube as well. I guess you can look @ it ion a way of free advertising to the whole world. May increase tourisum and change the perception of our state!

BRING IT ON!!!
South Australia the Festival State

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Shuz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Norman wrote:Give me a good location for a skyline shot that's close enough to the city and I will take it on Monday night.
I'd like to see a perspective different from the vistas offered at Beaumont, Adelaide Airport and Light's Vision. Is there anywhere in the NE that could get a good shot? The roof of the Holden Hill Police Complex? Or the Walkerville City Council Building...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Will » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:10 pm

YokohamaBoy wrote:I reckon we should get some better photos on Adelaide's Wikipedia article :P . I don't know about you guys but, for better or worse, I pretty much get all my information from Wikipedia these days (I think half the english speaking world does now). So if anyone in the world decides they want a little bit of information about our fine city, I guarantee you the first place they'll be looking is Wikipedia.

Therefore I think someone who knows some shit about photography and computers (not me I'm afraid) should get some really nice photos of the city on Wiki, cos the one's on there now are a bit dull in my opinion. Or if someone has some nice skyline shots without copyright on em, then they should put them on there.

Maybe a silly thought, but I thought I'd just throw that out there :) .

PS I actually have no idea how one gets a photo onto Wiki but I'll leave that to someone else :D
That is a simple yet great idea! I agree completely. Most people in the world use Wikipedia for their information, and as such placing better images of Adelaide in the Adeloaide article could make a big difference.

If people have good photos of a busy Central Market, Moseley Square, Adelaide during Mad March, Rundle, Gouger, Hindley Streets on a Friday or Saturday night, as well as strategic skyline shots, it could go a long way in creating a positive first impression of the city!

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Joely » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:30 pm

All great ideas everyone. I for one am sick to death of the comments that 'Adelaide isn't going anywhere' when clearly it is. Look at this forum for starters? The Brisbane forum has come to a complete halt, and now with a couple buildings under construction, nothing else is happening really, while this forum is buzzing.

Also I have to ask, what is up with all the positive comments about Perth in this thread? That Perh is the modern capital city? I have just returned from Perth and I found it to be the MOST boring and dull city I've visited thus far. Adelaide is a much more interesting, majestic and elegant city. I think Perth unfortunately has the opposite problem to us, that is people thinking it's a fantastic city when really it isn't. That said, I do think the reason for this is its skyline, with both Bank West and Central Park giving Perth its impressive skyline, and really, it's only 2 buildings at 50 or so stories high. Take them away, and Perth's skyline would be much worse than ours. All we need is 1 or 2 50+ level buildings and I believe our image problems will be solved.

P.S. Sorry to hate on Perth so much but having visited, I honestly I find it to be quite a stagnant place, though I do realise it is definitely progressing and will be something very special in coming years. (It's obvious from all the cranes in the skyline :wink:)
Last edited by Joely on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YokohamaBoy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#35 Post by YokohamaBoy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:04 pm

I have to agree with you Joely, not about Perth being boring (I've never been there), but about it's skyline not being all that impressive. Apart from those two tall buildings they have in the centre, it seems like their CBD is quite small and lacking density. Unfortunately for us those two buildings in the centre make a HUGE difference to how their skyline looks. I bet anyone judging our cities by the skyline alone would say Perth was the more exciting place to go.

I know people shouldn't judge a city by it's skyline but that doesn't take away from the fact that they do. So I think this reaffirms (did I spell that right) my previous point that we need to get some better photos of our city onto Wiki (and the internet in general). Photos that better represent our city. Some of the helicopter (I assume it was a helicopter) shots I've seen of Adelaide actually give a good idea of the density of our city and also make it less obvious that we have no talls :P . Also some really good photos of Clipsal and the Fringe couldn't hurt :) .

All that being said I'm sure Perth isn't that bad. Like all cities I think it just depends on who you know there. I'm currently living in Tokyo (well technically Yokohama) and even though this city is massive I assure you it wouldn't be much fun without friends who knew where all the good places are :P .

Mants
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Mants » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 am

Shuz wrote:
I'd like to see a perspective different from the vistas offered at Beaumont, Adelaide Airport and Light's Vision. Is there anywhere in the NE that could get a good shot? The roof of the Holden Hill Police Complex? Or the Walkerville City Council Building...
head further up lower north east road for some good shots! (i think!)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Wayno » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:05 am

Guys, 2010/11 should be a turning point for australia-wide perception about Adelaide. We know things are changing for the better, but most people interstate have no idea about what's going on here.

Here's my quickly compiled list of what should be different in 2010/2011:
  • * Lots of bright new shiny CBD buildings (residential & commercial) and hopefully some street-level improvements (cycling infrastructure, footbridge over the torrens, couple of invigorated laneways, etc)
    * A few cranes will still exist on the CBD skyline (giving that impression of "wow - there's more to come!"). Hopefully one of them is for 20-22 Currie St!
    * The CBD residential population will be much larger
    * The mining industry will be well and truly "in the groove" with OD generating 100+years of royalties
    * The defence construction industry will be "full steam ahead captain" with plenty of engineering, office, and blue-colour jobs
    * The defence (armed forces) will have at least one more large battalion here
    * More direct international flights (Emirates, etc)
    * We will have a much better road system (well, north and west of the city anyways)
    * The 1st section of the Tram extension (to the Entertainment centre) will be complete
    * "The Port - It's Happening" will be renamed "The Port - It Happened"
    * Victoria Park (should) be a world class park
    * Victoria Square (should) be a world class space
    * Marj Hospital construction underway
    * Perpetually green parklands (thanks to the glenelg pipeline). This will make a big difference each summer!
    * The salt-plains (might) be offically slated as a massive new housing development with lots of waterfront properties
    * Construction of the Clipsal TOD should be well underway, and hopefully 1-2 other TODs just commencing
    * The tonsley mitsubishi site should be operational with some new form of industry
    * A massive desal plant will be operational
    * Adelaide Oval Redevelopment
    * AAMI Stadium redevelopment
    * We might even have our own krispy creme donut shop! :lol:
    * etc...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Pat28 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Wayno wrote:Guys, 2010/11 should be a turning point for australia-wide perception about Adelaide. We know things are changing for the better, but most people interstate have no idea about what's going on here.

Here's my quickly compiled list of what should be different in 2010/2011:
  • * Lots of bright new shiny CBD buildings (residential & commercial) and hopefully some street-level improvements (cycling infrastructure, footbridge over the torrens, couple of invigorated laneways, etc)
    * A few cranes will still exist on the CBD skyline (giving that impression of "wow - there's more to come!"). Hopefully one of them is for 20-22 Currie St!
    * The CBD residential population will be much larger
    * The mining industry will be well and truly "in the groove" with OD generating 100+years of royalties
    * The defence construction industry will be "full steam ahead captain" with plenty of engineering, office, and blue-colour jobs
    * The defence (armed forces) will have at least one more large battalion here
    * More direct international flights (Emirates, etc)
    * We will have a much better road system (well, north and west of the city anyways)
    * The 1st section of the Tram extension (to the Entertainment centre) will be complete
    * "The Port - It's Happening" will be renamed "The Port - It Happened"
    * Victoria Park (should) be a world class park
    * Victoria Square (should) be a world class space
    * Marj Hospital construction underway
    * Perpetually green parklands (thanks to the glenelg pipeline). This will make a big difference each summer!
    * The salt-plains (might) be offically slated as a massive new housing development with lots of waterfront properties
    * Construction of the Clipsal TOD should be well underway, and hopefully 1-2 other TODs just commencing
    * The tonsley mitsubishi site should be operational with some new form of industry
    * A massive desal plant will be operational
    * Adelaide Oval Redevelopment
    * AAMI Stadium redevelopment
    * We might even have our own krispy creme donut shop! :lol:
    * etc...
and as a side note, in 2011 it will be the State's 175th Anniversary, so should we do something special for it (well Centennial Hall is now gone)?
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Will » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:41 pm

^^^It would be great if they decided to rebuild the Exhibition Building as our 175th birthday gift!

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by Joely » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Will wrote:^^^It would be great if they decided to rebuild the Exhibition Building as our 175th birthday gift!
I was just thinking about that this afternoon! I was driving down North Terrace and I took a long hard look at the useless, horrid concrete wasteland and the 'too ugly for words' Napier Building gracing our Cultural Boulevard with its hideous presence and realised that the Exhibition Building HAS to be rebuilt there one day. It absolutely MUST occur. North Terrace will never be complete without it. If not soon then definitely for our Bicentenary. :mrgreen:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Will » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Part of our negative image lies in the notion that Adelaide is ultra-conservative.

I was thinking whether we could explore the idea of allowing topless bathing on our beaches. Such a move would be a cheap yet guaranteed way of generating publicity for Adelaide. Such a move would challenge people's notion of Adelaide as conservative, because allowing topless bathing is far from a conservative action!

(yes, I am being serious)

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#42 Post by Shuz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Will wrote:Part of our negative image lies in the notion that Adelaide is ultra-conservative.

I was thinking whether we could explore the idea of allowing topless bathing on our beaches. Such a move would be a cheap yet guaranteed way of generating publicity for Adelaide. Such a move would challenge people's notion of Adelaide as conservative, because allowing topless bathing is far from a conservative action!

I'm fairly sure topless bathing is allowed, but is frowned upon. You only need to go to Glenelg on a hot summer's day to see for yourself, oh the sights! :P

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Will » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:11 pm

Shuz wrote:
Will wrote:Part of our negative image lies in the notion that Adelaide is ultra-conservative.

I'm fairly sure topless bathing is allowed, but is frowned upon. You only need to go to Glenelg on a hot summer's day to see for yourself, oh the sights! :P
I'm not 100% sure, but I remember reading somehwere (probabaly the Messenger) that it is illegal, yet un-policed.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:28 am

Joely wrote:
Will wrote:^^^It would be great if they decided to rebuild the Exhibition Building as our 175th birthday gift!
I was just thinking about that this afternoon! I was driving down North Terrace and I took a long hard look at the useless, horrid concrete wasteland and the 'too ugly for words' Napier Building gracing our Cultural Boulevard with its hideous presence and realised that the Exhibition Building HAS to be rebuilt there one day. It absolutely MUST occur. North Terrace will never be complete without it. If not soon then definitely for our Bicentenary. :mrgreen:
Funny you mention this, I was there today and looking down the street and realised it is almost perfection but there is DEFINITELY somehing missing from the street. And that is the Exhibition Building. I wish they had never bull dozed that. Napier is hidious no matter which was you look at it.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:32 am

Will wrote:I was thinking whether we could explore the idea of allowing topless bathing on our beaches.
On a partially related front, Adelaide has been host to the "Miss Nude Australia" competition since the early 1990's. I know it offends many, but since it exists it could be better publicised and thrown into the mix as one of the things we do differently here in Adelaide (For those interesting it's held at the Crazy Horse, and I believe it's sponsored by the Australian Penthouse magazine.)

Over in New Zealand (Auckland i believe), a local strip club has a similar "miss nude" contest and widely promotes it with a "boobs on bikes" pageant down the main street each year (do a google search). The police, pollies, priests and prudes hate it, and try to ban it each time, but NZ has a *law* that allows women to go topless in public - so it's all quite legit.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.