How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

#61 Post by Will » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:36 pm

pushbutton wrote:But how do we not have the appropriate weather? The weather in SA is perfect for a theme park surely? That being said, successful theme parks exist in many parts of the world with varying climates, so I don't think any particular weather is all that important.

We certainly have nice sunny weather a lot of the time though, and if England can have successful booming theme parks then I'm sure SA can!
Our winters are rather cold and wet. Not many people would want to visit a theme park under such conditions. And although you mention that England has theme parks regardless of their weather they also have a much, much, much larger population base than us!

But furthermore a theme park located 40-50km outside of the CBD will in fact make Adelaide appear more 'dead' as it would pull even more people out of the CBD. In fact this is one of the biggest criticisms of Adelaide; the fact that all our world class attractions are located outsie the city. We need to focus on building attractions in the CBD proper. But furthermore I think we should build attractions which enhance Adelaide's reputation as a cultural city. We should be building world class museums and galleries (i.e. a Guggenheim Museum).

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Omicron wrote: I still feel quite strongly that our series of festivals are by no means exploited as well as they could be - considering the vast audiences they reach (or have the potential to reach), the relatively limited financial outlay compared to a multi-million dollar tourist development of some kind appears to give a much greater return on investment, even in the context of shaking off negative stereotypes. Adelaide is a marvellous city when it is packed full of people - strolling through the CBD during the Fringe is one of the most fantastic experiences one can have in a major Australian city, even without a theme park, observation tower, superstadium, international museum or vast skyscraper. Our evolution into a more desirable city must absolutely lie with the pursuit of people and of character, because they give a wonderful, intangible energy unattainable through buildings created solely for the purpose of hopefully finding a new market.
Hear, hear. One place they could start is promotion. Our festivals, while renowned in their respective industries, have very poor resonance among the general folk internationally and even interstate. It doesn't help that the national tourism body pays them (and, indeed, the state) very little attention, but that's why the State Government needs to stand up and apply the pressure, and let its own agencies loose at the same time.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Will wrote: Our winters are rather cold and wet. Not many people would want to visit a theme park under such conditions. And although you mention that England has theme parks regardless of their weather they also have a much, much, much larger population base than us!

But furthermore a theme park located 40-50km outside of the CBD will in fact make Adelaide appear more 'dead' as it would pull even more people out of the CBD. In fact this is one of the biggest criticisms of Adelaide; the fact that all our world class attractions are located outsie the city. We need to focus on building attractions in the CBD proper. But furthermore I think we should build attractions which enhance Adelaide's reputation as a cultural city. We should be building world class museums and galleries (i.e. a Guggenheim Museum).
I agree. However, I wouldn't discount the idea of an amusement park entirely. A small park, primarily for the entertainment of locals, is not an unreasonable proposition and I imagine something in the vein of the Luna Parks in Melbourne and Sydney, or from a city in a similar population scale, Gröna Lund in Stockholm -- which, it's important to note, is successful despite operating in a climate with far better (or worse, for winter haters) winters than here -- could work. The presence of such a park would go some way to countering those who whine of having nothing to do, though obviously it wouldn't be a panacea.
Keep Adelaide Weird

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:55 pm

A theme park would be best situated along the South Eastern Freeway, Adelaide side of Monarto Zoo. There would be two attractions near each other and would start to create a recreational tourist precinct. Along the freeway, accommodation would be built and the rest follows. If we did have a theme park, it certainly would be popular with the Victorians and much easier for Sandgropers to get to than GC. It would also take many years of patronage from the rest of the country that would want to holiday somewhere other than the GC where they have done those parks to death.

Also much less rainfall and slightly warmer towards Murray Bridge. Ideal location.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Theme park? How tacky. Adelaide has more class than that. Secondly, how could Adelaide ever hope to compete with Brisbane in that regard?

Adelaide and Melbourne have more in common than any other two Australian cities. Adelaide is viewed as a sleepy group of suburbs where nothing much happens, yet Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth sprawl far more than Adelaide does.

So what does Melbourne, where there are no large theme parks, have that Adelaide doesn't? The nightclubs, the bars, the shopping, the intimate allyways, the public art, vibrant streets. In short: city culture. Adelaide has all of this too (at a smaller scale), and this is what we should focus on. We're already famous for arts and culture, and a theme park will shatter that.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Joely » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:38 pm

SRW wrote: I agree. However, I wouldn't discount the idea of an amusement park entirely. A small park, primarily for the entertainment of locals, is not an unreasonable proposition and I imagine something in the vein of the Luna Parks in Melbourne and Sydney, or from a city in a similar population scale, Gröna Lund in Stockholm -- which, it's important to note, is successful despite operating in a climate with far better (or worse, for winter haters) winters than here -- could work. The presence of such a park would go some way to countering those who whine of having nothing to do, though obviously it wouldn't be a panacea.
I say bring back Luna Park at Glenelg!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Where would they put Luna Park at Glenelg now that all those apartments are there?

Anyway I hate Luna Park in Melbourne and Sydney. Those are tacky, ugly and very old fashioned and just generally NOT what I call a modern, world-class tourist attraction.

If there were to be a theme park built in Adelaide, I would hope that it was something like Sea World on the Gold Coast, which surely nobody could call 'tacky'.

I agree that somewhere near Monarto would be another suitable location for a tourism region, except that there is no beach nearby and most tourists expect a decent tourist area to have a beach.

Also, for those who are saying theme parks are "tacky", well maybe some of them are a bit, but they certainly don't have to be. Take Alton Towers in England as an example. I recently visited there and it is not only a brilliant, thriving theme park, (with all the attractions of any in the Gold Coast, and more) but it actually has the most spectacular and beautiful scenery and gardens that I have ever seen anywhere in the world.

Now we may not be able to create something quite that extravagant here, but it proves my point that a theme park does not have to look in the slightest bit tacky.

If you want to get some idea of what I mean check out
http://www.altontowers.com

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:07 pm

A couple of photos of the very un-tacky theme park, Alton Towers, UK.
pic90sml.jpg
pic90sml.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
pic91sml.jpg
pic91sml.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
pic83sml.jpg
pic83sml.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Last edited by pushbutton on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:09 pm

and two more
pic95sml.jpg
pic95sml.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
pic97sml.jpg
pic97sml.jpg (24.86 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Last edited by pushbutton on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:18 pm

pushbutton wrote:If there were to be a theme park built in Adelaide, I would hope that it was something like Sea World on the Gold Coast, which surely nobody could call 'tacky'.

I agree that somewhere near Monarto would be another suitable location for a tourism region, except that there is no beach nearby and most tourists expect a decent tourist area to have a beach.

Also, for those who are saying theme parks are "tacky", well maybe some of them are a bit, but they certainly don't have to be. Take Alton Towers in England as an example. I recently visited there and it is not only a brilliant, thriving theme park, (with all the attractions of any in the Gold Coast, and more) but it actually has the most spectacular and beautiful scenery and gardens that I have ever seen anywhere in the world.
I'm with you pushbutton. Maybe theme parks are tacky but it will be a good distance from the metro area and most people here are forgetting that families from across the country aren't going to come here for a ride on the Popeye!

How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

Consider all types of tourists. Yes, concentrate on the arts. Yes, let's laud our great food and wine culture, but many people go places to have fun!

After all, I'm sure we're only talking about one park, if it ever happened.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks. That is the point I was trying to make I suppose.

If we SERIOUSLY want tourism in SA, then we need to do something to attract families. Families in England, USA, and Asia are not going to come to Adelaide just to look at Westfield Marion, or visit the fringe festival, or tour the barossa valley, or rejoice in how wonderful the food is!!! Well ok a few might (but only a few), and it will be a once only visit and their kids will be bored out of their brains!

Serious tourism needs something fun for families to do together, which means things like theatres, theme parks, resort hotels, and other exciting and fun attractions and entertainment.
Last edited by pushbutton on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by Joely » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 pm

pushbutton wrote:Where would they put Luna Park at Glenelg now that all those apartments are there?
Oh yeaaah, I bloody well forgot about the apartment buildings. They aren't that bland are they?

Sorry pushbutton, though Alton Towers looks like a beautiful place to visit I just really hate the idea of having a theme park so far away from Adelaide. It would be yet another attraction outside of the city which takes the focus off the city itself. Why not have something similar actually in the city somewehere? Kangaroo Island is famous and sees thousands of tourists from accross the world yet it doesn't seem Adelaide really benefits from it. I think we need to look at helping the city itself become a tourist destination in it's own right, especially our CBD.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm not sure about that. Surely Brisbane city gets some benefit from all the tourism in the Gold Coast, I would have thought.

My point is though that even if there is no direct benefit to the city, as such, tourism has the potential to bring a lot of money into the STATE, which in turn can of course also be used to further benefit the city and its residents, wouldn't you agree?

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:45 pm

Joely wrote:Oh yeaaah, I bloody well forgot about the apartment buildings. They aren't that bland are they?

Sorry pushbutton, though Alton Towers looks like a beautiful place to visit I just really hate the idea of having a theme park so far away from Adelaide. It would be yet another attraction outside of the city which takes the focus off the city itself. Why not have something similar actually in the city somewehere?
I think from the street side of Glenelg the apartment buildings are OK, however a recent photo I saw from the beach of the elongated wall of apartment buildings of the same height abutting the beach looked almost communist!

The theme park will attract the tourists and most will stay in the CBD or fringe. A theme park is a pretty good lure for young travellers and families, but it is usually only a day trip.
That is where the CBD needs to add to its attractions to occupy the rest of the stay (or most of it). Unfortunately we are already going backwards by losing the last of our mainstream cinema complexes in the city.

Is anyone old enough to remember DOWNTOWN in Hindley Street? That is something, that today done on the right scale in the CBD would be a magnet for the young travellers and families. A multi storey amusement centre, including a ten-pin bowling alley, cinemas, sport bar, a huge games arcade, a pool/snooker area, roller skating rink, etc etc.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by pushbutton » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Well for a couple of years we had TWO such places in the city. Downtown plus Dazzleland.

For some reason they both failed to make enough money for the owner to keep them open. I do think it's strange that they couldn't survive but there you go.