How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Dr Rudi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: How do we lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype?

#121 Post by Dr Rudi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Will wrote:In fact you have not offered solutions, just criticism as to why you don't like living here. Which begs the question, why are you still here?
Thanks Rhino.

Will - let's be crystal clear. You have suggested increasing height limits in the CBD; council amalgamations; and topless bathing. You agreed with other people about better advertisments, and 'improving' the City's Wikipedia entry. You want attractions in the CBD proper. You think we should be building world class museums and art galleries. You want to relocate the National Motor Museum to Adelaide.

I have suggested:

Re-building the sporting and entertainment facilities in the west parklands.
Building new high-speed roads.
Re-programming Adelaide's event calendar across the year, to alleviate the concentration in March. I nominated Womadelaide, and that suggestion just as easily might be Writers Week.
I've suggested holding these events annually. (And I'm sorry to tell you that both Perth and Brisbane have annual festivals. So does a place called Edinburgh, which has less than half our population).
I proposed securing 'art' or 'performance' exclusives to Adelaide.

If you read the 'Bringing Them Back Home' study which I referenced earlier, you will see that the main disadvantage of the State is perceived to be a lack of range and type of job opportunities. Professionals (say, lawyers and accountants) don't get to work with large company accounts because the large companies are headquartered on the eastern seaboard; consequently the work here isn't regarded as 'important' as the work on the eastern seaboard; and the salaries are lower.

It's a really complex issue. It's about culture. How many people turned out to look at the new airport terminal when it was opened ? Only in Adelaide.

People don't see the skyline. The average local isn't standing at Light's Vision and deciding that nothing much has changed. They see the things they use - new roads, new businesses, new shopping centres, new cafes, new nightclubs; new buses and new trains, new pieces of public art.

I'm sorry if you can't understand that it's not the building, it's what in it that counts. Especially when I say we need businesses to give people their first, second and third jobs (those 3000 young professionals you were so concerned about). And I mention buildings because you're very first idea is about height limits in the CBD; and because of your proposal about building world class museums and art galleries (and offered the Guggenheim as an example). Museums and art galleries are only world class because of what's in them, not the building. Taller buildings are only useful if they are full of thriving businesses. I'm sorry too, if you think I'm being negative. I'm here because I'm trying to be part of the solution.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#122 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:20 pm

lots of great discussion, albeit a bit passionate :lol:

i'd love it if someone paraphrased all the key points in this thread to date. I think we'd be surpised by the number of thoughts and ideas!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#123 Post by Will » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Dr Rudi wrote:
Will wrote:In fact you have not offered solutions, just criticism as to why you don't like living here. Which begs the question, why are you still here?
Thanks Rhino.

Will - let's be crystal clear. You have suggested increasing height limits in the CBD; council amalgamations; and topless bathing. You agreed with other people about better advertisments, and 'improving' the City's Wikipedia entry. You want attractions in the CBD proper. You think we should be building world class museums and art galleries. You want to relocate the National Motor Museum to Adelaide.

I have suggested:

Re-building the sporting and entertainment facilities in the west parklands.
Building new high-speed roads.
Re-programming Adelaide's event calendar across the year, to alleviate the concentration in March. I nominated Womadelaide, and that suggestion just as easily might be Writers Week.
I've suggested holding these events annually. (And I'm sorry to tell you that both Perth and Brisbane have annual festivals. So does a place called Edinburgh, which has less than half our population).
I proposed securing 'art' or 'performance' exclusives to Adelaide.

If you read the 'Bringing Them Back Home' study which I referenced earlier, you will see that the main disadvantage of the State is perceived to be a lack of range and type of job opportunities. Professionals (say, lawyers and accountants) don't get to work with large company accounts because the large companies are headquartered on the eastern seaboard; consequently the work here isn't regarded as 'important' as the work on the eastern seaboard; and the salaries are lower.

It's a really complex issue. It's about culture. How many people turned out to look at the new airport terminal when it was opened ? Only in Adelaide.

People don't see the skyline. The average local isn't standing at Light's Vision and deciding that nothing much has changed. They see the things they use - new roads, new businesses, new shopping centres, new cafes, new nightclubs; new buses and new trains, new pieces of public art.

I'm sorry if you can't understand that it's not the building, it's what in it that counts. Especially when I say we need businesses to give people their first, second and third jobs (those 3000 young professionals you were so concerned about). And I mention buildings because you're very first idea is about height limits in the CBD; and because of your proposal about building world class museums and art galleries (and offered the Guggenheim as an example). Museums and art galleries are only world class because of what's in them, not the building. Taller buildings are only useful if they are full of thriving businesses. I'm sorry too, if you think I'm being negative. I'm here because I'm trying to be part of the solution.
In case you haven't realised WOMAD, the Fringe, the Cabaret Festival, the OZAsia festival, the Guitar Festival and many others are held annualy. Why do you insist in focussing only on the biannual Adelaide Festival of Arts?

And have you not mentioned that you travel interstate to go to cultural, musical and artistic performances? Then why do you contradict yourself and ridicule my idea to build new art galleries and museums? I am confused as to why you continue to insist that I think that people will come to admire the structure in which these new museum and galleries will be in. Of course people would visit these museums and galleries for what is inside them! I have never said otherwise. If we build a Guggenheim Museum for example, one would expect that it would have exhibits inside!

And regarding my proposals to increase the height limits. The reason why I have proposed this, is not to create 'iconic' buildings which people will come to see but rather to allow greater density in the CBD. Greater density in the CBD is a good thing because it will allow more people to live in the CBD. More people living in the CBD will create more buzz helping make the city look more alive but also stimulating the creation of new bars, restaurants, shops...

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#124 Post by pushbutton » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:45 pm

Cruise wrote:
Pat28 wrote:
Back on topic, so how do we lose the dull and boring stereotype?
Decriminalise Marijuana
I hope that was meant to be a joke.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#125 Post by adam73837 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Will wrote: It is ridiculous to compare things which belong in different categories to each other.
I agree, and that is precisely the reason that I and many, many other people get angry when people compare Adelaide to Los Angeles when they're arguing that freeways will not be right for Adelaide.
I'm not having a go at you by the way Will.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#126 Post by SRW » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:01 am

Why so much focus on what people from afar think of Adelaide?

If we want to "lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype", it's the residents of Adelaide who must first believe otherwise.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#127 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:58 am

SRW wrote:Why so much focus on what people from afar think of Adelaide?

If we want to "lose the 'boring & dull' stereotype", it's the residents of Adelaide who must first believe otherwise.
That's a simple observation - attitudinal change from within is obvious and crucial. People who have built up negatively biased views of Adelaide across many years need strong evidence to the contrary for them to consider change. The trick is how to make it occur!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#128 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:07 am

pushbutton wrote:Above all else, we need at least one major, BIG theme park.
What about a high-adrenalin theme park clustered in a Adelaide Hills or Southern Fleurieu valley? similar in concept to Queenstown NZ? I'm sure there would be a nice valley where such a thing could be created.

* bungey jumping
* canyon swinging
* massive flying fox (you get strapped in)
* dirt road road rally driving (as passenger and/or as driver)
* abseiling
* hot air ballooning
* mountain biking
* gourmet food & wine
* day tours available

Again, it's all about marketing...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#129 Post by Shuz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am

pushbutton wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Pat28 wrote:
Decriminalise Marijuana
I'm just going by my friend's experiences (not mine, I've only touched the pipe once) but, out of the 10 or so unlucky times they've been caught out by the ever-so-pervasive police force, all they got was a slap on the wrist and had their goods taken from them. No fines, no further action. It's more like a civil disobedience than a criminal offence in their eyes, and so hence while lawfully stated as 'illegal' it appears moreso 'legal, but frowned upon'. And the number of people who smoke the joints in hotels these days - you'd think you were in Amsterdam - not that I've ever been there, but everyone notices the pot and just doesnt care.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#130 Post by Cruise » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:44 am

pushbutton wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Pat28 wrote:
Decriminalise Marijuana
Mate, i am pratically sensational adelaide's court jester.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#131 Post by Cruise » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:50 am

Shuz wrote:
I'm just going by my friend's experiences (not mine, I've only touched the pipe once) but, out of the 10 or so unlucky times they've been caught out by the ever-so-pervasive police force, all they got was a slap on the wrist and had their goods taken from them. No fines, no further action. It's more like a civil disobedience than a criminal offence in their eyes, and so hence while lawfully stated as 'illegal' it appears moreso 'legal, but frowned upon'. And the number of people who smoke the joints in hotels these days - you'd think you were in Amsterdam - not that I've ever been there, but everyone notices the pot and just doesnt care.
Possesion is a crime that is taken lightly, Intent to distribute though is only taken lightly on the first offence and that works on a sliding scale depending on your history and how much you intend on dealing

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#132 Post by Queen Anne » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Dr Rudi wrote:It's a really complex issue. It's about culture. How many people turned out to look at the new airport terminal when it was opened ? Only in Adelaide.
Hi Dr. Rudi,

I'm not sure if I have misread your thoughts here, but are you saying we in Adelaide are somehow lacking or pitiful because we turned out for the airport opening? I was there :lol: and I think it's great that we all turned out for this event - it was an important piece of new infrastructure for our state.

I think it would be naive for anyone to assume that people in other cities would not turn out for a fun, free family event in a beautiful brand new facility. The Roulettes were there (pity about the weather), planes were open for a look-see as were "backstage" areas. It was great and had it been happening in Seattle, you bet people would be there - families, plane nerds, architecture lovers, you name it, they would be there.

IMO, our problem in Adelaide is not that we would turn out for an airport opening but that we feel compelled to apologise for it. Maybe we should just march to our own drum a bit more.....so, to all those interstate airport construction workers who allegedly went home aghast that Adelaide had turned out to see its new airport, I say, "yawn.."

Anyway, Dr. Rudi, let me know if my little rant is misguided :wink:

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#133 Post by Prince George » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Wayno wrote: What about a high-adrenalin theme park clustered in a Adelaide Hills or Southern Fleurieu valley?
<various dangerous activities>
* mountain biking
<much less dangerous stuff>
Now, mountain biking sounds like an good opportunity. As an example of the kind of facilities Adelaide could aspire to: http://www.whistlerbike.com/index.htm. Yes, this is the famous skiing area; for the six months that it doesn't snow they've got biking to draw crowds.

Put their incredible terrain to one side -- there's nowhere in Australia, nevermind SA, that can compare to it -- and look at the facilities that they have. In fact, their website doesn't really show it off but there's a lot of videos/images out there, like this one (particularly the second half)
The see-saw bridges, the balance beams, that "air dome" and miles of single track, now that's cool.

This could also bring more attention to the Mawson trail, ideally linking the two together and have the park as a staging point for the trail.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#134 Post by Will » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Queen Anne wrote:
Dr Rudi wrote:It's a really complex issue. It's about culture. How many people turned out to look at the new airport terminal when it was opened ? Only in Adelaide.

IMO, our problem in Adelaide is not that we would turn out for an airport opening but that we feel compelled to apologise for it. Maybe we should just march to our own drum a bit more.....so, to all those interstate airport construction workers who allegedly went home aghast that Adelaide had turned out to see its new airport, I say, "yawn.."

Anyway, Dr. Rudi, let me know if my little rant is misguided :wink:
Exactly Queen Anne!

The reason why I have reacted so strongly against the comments of Dr. Rudi is because his comments reek of the Adelaide inferiority complex.

Although Dr. Rudi has suggested some really good ideas, the method and language which he used to suggest them is strongly indicative of the Adelaide inferiority complex. For example in suggesting we spread the events held in mad March to other months of the year, why did he have to put down Adelaide in the process? Why did he have to say that compared to Melbourne we are boring? Could he not have said something like, "it would be a good idea to spread out the events held in mad March to other months so that there are more things to do throughout the year." Were the negative put downs of Adelaide necessary? What do you hope to achieve by making such negative comments? Some of you are probably saying to yourselves, “but it’s the truth”. Yes, there may be some truth to it, but what good will come from constantly repeating our flaws? And by this, I should state that I am not having a go solely at Dr. Rudi, because such behaviour is evident in many of the people of Adelaide. How many times have you heard an Adelaidean apologising for something in our city, or making a comment to visitors from larger places such as "you will probably find Adelaide quite slow compared to where you are from...."

When dealing with a person who has depression or low self esteem, the worst thing you could do as a counsellor is to constantly repeat to that person their flaws or the reasons why they are depressed. For example if you were providing counselling to a person who is depressed because their marriage is breaking down and they are having money problems, the worst thing you could do is to constantly remind the person of such problems. Such a strategy isn’t going to solve that persons problems, but rather strengthen their depression because you are repeating their problems and flaws. And worse still, say such a person has an older brother named ‘Melbourne’ who has a successful career, a loving family and a new sport scar. How do you think, your patient will feel if you are constantly saying to them, “Well your brother Melbourne has a successful career, life, family etc…” Do you think such comparisons will make the patient feel better? No, of course not, such comparison will only serve to further depress the person as you are re-enforcing their failures. Can’t you see how these counselling strategies apply to Adelaide?

When providing counselling to a person what the counsellor has to do is find positive aspects in their patient’s life. For example, if the above patient has given up smoking or volunteered their time for a charity, you as a counsellor have to focus on such positive situations and behaviours instead of the negative things in their life. A person will only recover from their depression if they see that there are positive things in their life. Only once a person sees that they aren’t total failures or that they are good at something or that they enjoy something in their life, can you proceed to tackle the negative issues in that person’s life. Likewise the same applies to Adelaide. Adelaide isn’t a backwater; in fact it is a great mid-sized city with plenty of things going for it. So why do we as Adelaideans always have to focus and apologise for our flaws? I don’t think anyone believes our city to be perfect, and I am sure that we are all aware of our problems. Likewise people from interstate and overseas don’t expect our city to be perfect and those from larger cities most likely aren’t stupid enough to believe that we will have the same amount of nightlife, entertainment venues etc… as their cities. Yet despite this due to the Adelaide inferiority complex we always focus and remind ourselves and our guests of our failures.

Adelaide has plenty of good things about it. For example we have really good restaurants, we have a magnificent variety of pubs in the CBD, our café culture is more advanced than those in Brisbane and Perth, Australia’s best airport, our nightlife has improved a lot in the last few years, we have excellent educational institutions, we have an arts scene and culture much more advanced that cities our size, there is heaps of construction activity in the CBD, we have over 50% of the world’s known uranium reserves… When talking about Adelaide lets focus on the positives and not the negatives. If the people of Adelaide did this, it would go a long way in crushing the ‘dull, and boring’ stereotype!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#135 Post by SRW » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Will wrote: The reason why I have reacted so strongly against the comments of Dr. Rudi is because his comments reek of the Adelaide inferiority complex.

Although Dr. Rudi has suggested some really good ideas, the method and language which he used to suggest them is strongly indicative of the Adelaide inferiority complex. For example in suggesting we spread the events held in mad March to other months of the year, why did he have to put down Adelaide in the process? Why did he have to say that compared to Melbourne we are boring? Could he not have said something like, "it would be a good idea to spread out the events held in mad March to other months so that there are more things to do throughout the year." Were the negative put downs of Adelaide necessary? What do you hope to achieve by making such negative comments? Some of you are probably saying to yourselves, “but it’s the truth”. Yes, there may be some truth to it, but what good will come from constantly repeating our flaws? And by this, I should state that I am not having a go solely at Dr. Rudi, because such behaviour is evident in many of the people of Adelaide. How many times have you heard an Adelaidean apologising for something in our city, or making a comment to visitors from larger places such as "you will probably find Adelaide quite slow compared to where you are from...."

When dealing with a person who has depression or low self esteem, the worst thing you could do as a counsellor is to constantly repeat to that person their flaws or the reasons why they are depressed. For example if you were providing counselling to a person who is depressed because their marriage is breaking down and they are having money problems, the worst thing you could do is to constantly remind the person of such problems. Such a strategy isn’t going to solve that persons problems, but rather strengthen their depression because you are repeating their problems and flaws. And worse still, say such a person has an older brother named ‘Melbourne’ who has a successful career, a loving family and a new sport scar. How do you think, your patient will feel if you are constantly saying to them, “Well your brother Melbourne has a successful career, life, family etc…” Do you think such comparisons will make the patient feel better? No, of course not, such comparison will only serve to further depress the person as you are re-enforcing their failures. Can’t you see how these counselling strategies apply to Adelaide?

When providing counselling to a person what the counsellor has to do is find positive aspects in their patient’s life. For example, if the above patient has given up smoking or volunteered their time for a charity, you as a counsellor have to focus on such positive situations and behaviours instead of the negative things in their life. A person will only recover from their depression if they see that there are positive things in their life. Only once a person sees that they aren’t total failures or that they are good at something or that they enjoy something in their life, can you proceed to tackle the negative issues in that person’s life. Likewise the same applies to Adelaide. Adelaide isn’t a backwater; in fact it is a great mid-sized city with plenty of things going for it. So why do we as Adelaideans always have to focus and apologise for our flaws? I don’t think anyone believes our city to be perfect, and I am sure that we are all aware of our problems. Likewise people from interstate and overseas don’t expect our city to be perfect and those from larger cities most likely aren’t stupid enough to believe that we will have the same amount of nightlife, entertainment venues etc… as their cities. Yet despite this due to the Adelaide inferiority complex we always focus and remind ourselves and our guests of our failures.

Adelaide has plenty of good things about it. For example we have really good restaurants, we have a magnificent variety of pubs in the CBD, our café culture is more advanced than those in Brisbane and Perth, Australia’s best airport, our nightlife has improved a lot in the last few years, we have excellent educational institutions, we have an arts scene and culture much more advanced that cities our size, there is heaps of construction activity in the CBD, we have over 50% of the world’s known uranium reserves… When talking about Adelaide lets focus on the positives and not the negatives. If the people of Adelaide did this, it would go a long way in crushing the ‘dull, and boring’ stereotype!
Although I don't share the negative readings you have of Dr Rudi's postings, I think you've begun to enunciate something quite important here.

You've outlined some of the consequences of this damned inferiority complex that a substantial portion of the populace seems to suffer and have also highlighted why this is ludicrous when, in fact, our city actually holds up well in comparison to others (which, as someone who has lived and travelled in other places around Australia and the world, I can personally confirm. But don't trust me -- look at world livability surveys!).

I think it's important now to identify the reasons why this inferiority complex came about and stubbornly persists. I realise that doing might been seen to be a moot exercise as there is not a place on this earth which does not see the grass as greener on the other side, but I believe that the exercise will advance the argument, which, in itself, is legitimate as it would seem that the complex is widespread enough to seriously inhibit this city's potential.

My belief is that most Adelaideans firmly believe that their city has great potential -- more potential, even, than any other -- but that this potential has repeatedly failed to be realised. This bashing of confidence must, at least in part, be a reason for the inferiority complex.

But there are others?
Keep Adelaide Weird