YOUR solutions: How should we fix Glen Osmond Road?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: YOUR solutions: How should we fix Glen Osmond Road?

#76 Post by AtD » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am

Glen Osmond Road doesn’t operate anywhere near close to its potential. If traffic was a real issue along this road, install a median, ban right turns, limit left turns, close some side streets and remove parking. It's cheap and easy, but hasn't been done because it's not that bad.

All this talk of tunnels and such is just crazy. It’s not as busy a road as you think it is. Most of the freeway traffic ends up on Cross Rd and Portrush Rd.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 am

AtD wrote:Glen Osmond Road doesn’t operate anywhere near close to its potential. If traffic was a real issue along this road, install a median, ban right turns, limit left turns, close some side streets and remove parking. It's cheap and easy, but hasn't been done because it's not that bad.

All this talk of tunnels and such is just crazy. It’s not as busy a road as you think it is. Most of the freeway traffic ends up on Cross Rd and Portrush Rd.
+1
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#78 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 pm

The amount of right turns allowed on Adelaides main roads is a real problem.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by ml69 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

claybro wrote:The amount of right turns allowed on Adelaides main roads is a real problem.
Could not agree more. Having lived in both Adelaide and Sydney, it is generally easier driving on arterial roads there (peak times excepted) because right turns into side streets are usually restricted to local collector roads, not every single side street. Left turns into side streets are permitted.

Also on major arterials in Sydney, they usually dont allow any parking at all or the clearway time is 7-11am then 3-7pm.

Generally the frustration driving in Sydney is due to the sheer volume of traffic on the road, but in Adelaide the frustration is dodging and weaving parked cars and right turning cars, especially on the inner urban arterials such as Glen Osmond Rd.

claybro

#80 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Also that Unley, Goodwood roads allow right turns at virtually every side street is beyond me. Its like its 1950 here.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by neoballmon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 pm

The problem is that with no median strip, banning right turns will be very difficult. The only place for a sign would be to the left (virtually invisible in busy traffic), overhead signs on wire (Adelaide drivers aren't used to this, most likely will be ineffective) or a sign on the road itself (again, virtually invisible in busy traffic, and cars may wait for a while before even noticing it). Or on a thin concrete median along the road (and if street parking is still allowed, I imagine many people will drvie onto this trying to avoid someone going around a parked car.)
And to make full effect of the clear road, clearways would need to be much better set to keep both lanes of traffic free.

I generally avoid turning right into side streets when it's busy, if there's a slip lane a couple of streets up.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

claybro

#82 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:34 pm

neoballmon wrote:The problem is that with no median strip, banning right turns will be very difficult. The only place for a sign would be to the left (virtually invisible in busy traffic), overhead signs on wire (Adelaide drivers aren't used to this, most likely will be ineffective) or a sign on the road itself (again, virtually invisible in busy traffic, and cars may wait for a while before even noticing it). Or on a thin concrete median along the road (and if street parking is still allowed, I imagine many people will drvie onto this trying to avoid someone going around a parked car.)
And to make full effect of the clear road, clearways would need to be much better set to keep both lanes of traffic free.

I generally avoid turning right into side streets when it's busy, if there's a slip lane a couple of streets up.
Right turns are easily made impossible with a small concrete curb with a solid white line down the centre of the road. If Adelaide drivers are so stupid as to try and cross this (quite possible) then a pinch point island on the side of the side street to which the right turning vehile enters the side street would make it completely obvious. No signs necessary. Clearways are generally well positioned but poorly policed here. Cars parked in a clearway should be imediately towed away. As for Adelaide drivers not being used to something....well some are still trying to get over not being able to drive up Rundle Mall and park in front of John Martins, so no surprise there really.

rhino

#83 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 am

claybro wrote: If Adelaide drivers are so stupid as to try and cross this (quite possible) then a pinch point island on the side of the side street to which the right turning vehile enters the side street would make it completely obvious. No signs necessary.
But it would make it really hard for people travelling in the other direction to make a left turn into the same street, wouldn't it?
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#84 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:06 pm

I live just off Glen Osmond , and for local residents the problem is two fold.

We obviously need to get to our home, so turning right off Glen Osmond is 1 way, I can't turn Right off Green Hill as it is blocked (too close to Crn Greenhill and Glen Osmond) and additionally, because so many people use Duthy/George as a thoroughfare often it is simply easier to go Glen Osmond.

I'd also add, putting an ambulance station with an exit some 15 meters from the corner of Glen Osmond and Greenhill (and opposite a popular KFC) was clearly not the work of an intelligent planner.

For me, to fix traffic congestion on Glen Osmond you have to get it right on surrounding roads because any changes on GO are simply going to flow to other roads.

For instance, if you stop me turning right on Glen Osmond, you are going to force me to take Duthy, which is already a nightmare.

I think diverting traffic on the ring route via Fullarton Road offers the best outcome, but that is most likely going to create problems at the Greenhill/Fullarton intersection.

Personally, I don't like Glen osmond road as a major route, the major problem being the bottle necks either through the top of Glen Osmond (narrow, bus stops etc) or when it ultimately hits Putney street.

Could there be a benefit it diverting the traffic down Fullarton Road and onto Wakefield Street? or somehow making the integration onto Pultney street better?

rhino

#85 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Waewick wrote:Could there be a benefit it diverting the traffic down Fullarton Road and onto Wakefield Street? or somehow making the integration onto Pultney street better?
... or forcing Glen Osmond Road traffic to flow into Hutt St instead of it being a rarely-used option? Perhaps narrow the section of GORd from Hutt St to Pulteney St down to one lane in each direction, leaving 2 turning lanes into and out of Hutt St.

It would be difficult to alter the GORd/Pulteney St junction too much, because Unley Road also carries so much traffic and is a major arterial in itself.

Good to hear your side of the story as a resident, Waewick.
cheers,
Rhino

Mants
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by Mants » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm also a local resident, and have a few suggestions which could easily improve traffic flow.

Just before the intersection with Conyngham/Bevington heading towards the hills, a short bus lane should be built. From my experiences, especially during peak hour, lots of students from Glenunga High get on the bus at this stop and hold up traffic. The footpath appears to be wide enough to allow for this.

The lighting sequence at the intersection with Kenilworth/Young needs to be reviewed. Many motorists enter the intersection and the lights change whilst they are still in the intersection. I have witnessed many close calls with pedestrians and cyclists when motorists continue to drive through the intersection, especially when a bus is in the left hand lane. It is unclear to motorists whether it is acceptable to keep on driving to exit the intersection after the lights change.

A left hand slip lane could easily be constructed just past the Fullarton Rd intersection to allow for traffic entering Main Avenue and the Frewville Shopping Centre.

Clearway times definitely need to be increased, especially in the evenings.

Intersections of surrounding arterial roads need to be improved so as to encourage motorists to use other routes. Fullarton/Cross Road is particularly bad.

claybro

#87 Post by claybro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Mants wrote:Just before the intersection with Conyngham/Bevington heading towards the hills, a short bus lane should be built. From my experiences, especially during peak hour, lots of students from Glenunga High get on the bus at this stop and hold up traffic. The footpath appears to be wide enough to allow for this.
Does anyone from the relevant department read this forum? There are so many situations as described by Mants above, where a simple low tech/low cost solution would greatly improve traffic flow. These little situations are all over Adelaide. Bus drivers that dither around after passenger boarding, cause major disruption, but so easlily rectified as per this post. Also agree the light seqences, that are known to enrage locals and regular commuters seem to be known to everyone, yet nothing is done? So easily fixed.

[Shuz]

#88 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am

To contact DPTI send your emails to;

[email protected]

And it will be forwarded to the relevant division.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#89 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 pm

they have removed the ability to turn right off Glen Osmond Road.

Whilst annoying for me, it is clearly the best outcome possible and will probably save a lot of meatheads from honking their horns and people legally turning right during non-peak times.

However, I can't see that improving traffic in the peak times when it was illegal in the first place.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by Maximus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 am

Waewick wrote:they have removed the ability to turn right off Glen Osmond Road.
Is this for the entire length of GOR, 24/7?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.