Adelaide CBD and Underground Railways

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide CBD and Underground Railways

#31 Post by mattblack » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:18 pm

Secondly, the western suburbs are growing by densification alone.
Isn't that an argument for implementing a tram network in the western suburbs rather that putting all the eggs into a single underground train line?

Maybe I'll just agree to disagree on this, I wish that we were in the position to make it happen but were not and wont be in my lifetime.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 am

mattblack wrote:
Secondly, the western suburbs are growing by densification alone.
Isn't that an argument for implementing a tram network in the western suburbs rather that putting all the eggs into a single underground train line?
No it is not. The northern and southern suburbs are growing much faster, and the southern suburbs currently have worse transport.

And I will rephrase the line you quoted:
Other than by densification, the western suburbs are not growing at all!
Don't be fooled by the densification buzzword, it tells you nothing about the case for trams there.

I'm not saying there isn't a good argument for trams in the western suburbs, but the benefit:cost ratio would be lower than for a single underground line.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by dbl96 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:46 pm

mattblack wrote:Personally, in regards to a single underground line through the centre of the city, id rather see an entire wetern suburbs tram network established for a hell of a lot less money. Im guessing that some will think this to be a ridiculous notion.
something i dont understand is why the western suburbs are getting priority for trams (entertainment centre, westlakes, semaphore) when the west is already serviced by fixed rail connections. The inner east, north and south should be much higher priority for trams, because especially in the east, there are no fixed connections at all, traveilling by public transport in the east is hopeless.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:00 am

I am all for an underground rail link that would pass through the centre of Rundle Mall.

On a side note, I recently wrote a long blog post on the downfalls of car-dependency http://andrewalexanderprice.com/blog20121001.php
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php