#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#136 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 pm

The Adelaide Film Festival is also new I think?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#137 Post by Will » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Norman wrote:The Adelaide Film Festival is also new I think?
And so is the Oz Asia Festival and Guitar Festival.

steveadl
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#138 Post by steveadl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:48 pm

A lot of people just can't seem to get past 2 words on this whole subject, which is a shame as without them I'd say most South Australian's would be in agreement.

Completely remove these two words from the debate; hospital and stadium.

Now the remaining question which should be put to South Aussies is; at the Western railyards - do you want an entertainment precinct (plans will be drawn up, scrapped, redrawn many times before anything is finalised) or a govt/community funcitional building?

If they need a new hospital, build it somewhere else in the CBD and leave the railyards to gather dust for another 10yrs until we can reach agreement on a riverside precinct that will attract many locals and visitors alike.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#139 Post by Brando » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:19 pm

steveadl wrote:A lot of people just can't seem to get past 2 words on this whole subject, which is a shame as without them I'd say most South Australian's would be in agreement.

Completely remove these two words from the debate; hospital and stadium.

Now the remaining question which should be put to South Aussies is; at the Western railyards - do you want an entertainment precinct (plans will be drawn up, scrapped, redrawn many times before anything is finalised) or a govt/community funcitional building?

If they need a new hospital, build it somewhere else in the CBD and leave the railyards to gather dust for another 10yrs until we can reach agreement on a riverside precinct that will attract many locals and visitors alike.
The reason so many people are talking about this topic is all over a sudden there has become a sense of urgency with the railyards. For so long we have all known the potential for this site, but now with a government in power that has plans for a new hospital and preliminary works currently underway.

Personally, i completely agree with you, leave it and build nothing till we can all agree and get the best out of this site. Having said that, MHS vision does allow that time constraint to decide the best outcome.

One thing for sure it is no place for a new hospital, regardless of what people are saying a hospital will create in terms of foot traffic for the area.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#140 Post by shiftaling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:57 pm

I like the way the plan extends so far west, but is there really any need to completely demolish Bonython Park area and re-landscape it? A lot of that park is already quite charming

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#141 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:03 pm

answer is simple.

put new hospital on current Entertainment Centre site, and stadium on railyards. FIXED.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#142 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 am

Entertainment Centre site is far to small

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#143 Post by rhino » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 am

And at this point neither AFL or SACA wants to use the stadium.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#144 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:48 am

rhino wrote:And at this point neither AFL or SACA wants to use the stadium.
For good reason to.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#145 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
Price tag of $900m for Liberals sports venue
Article from: The Advertiser

MICHELANGELO RUCCI, CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER

April 20, 2009 12:00am

A NEW multi-purpose sporting venue on the city's western fringe - with a retractable roof - will cost $900 million, the State Opposition's independent costings show.

But with re-adjustments of state spending and the sale of AAMI Stadium at West Lakes, the key policy of Opposition leader Martin Hamilton-Smith's election campaign would add just $350 million to the state Budget.

The Opposition today will detail its independent costings, by former Liberal state treasurer Stephen Baker and Commonwealth Games athlete Adam Steinhart, for the 55,000-seat stadium.

At least $200 million from the sale of AAMI Stadium and the $350 million budgeted for tram line extensions and upgrading football's West Lakes headquarters would offset the $900 million bill for the city venue for all football codes.

If elected next March, Mr Hamilton-Smith wants construction on the stadium to begin in 2014. His estimates indicate there would be a $1 billion stimulus to the SA economy from the project. Under the plan:

AAMI STADIUM and soccer's headquarters at Hindmarsh Stadium would be scrapped.

ALL AFL games and A-League soccer matches would be played at the city venue.

ADELAIDE could confidently bid for the 2018 World Cup soccer finals and the 2018 or 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Mr Hamilton-Smith favours the stadium - which would be opened in 2017 - being funded equally in a joint venture between the state and federal governments, the SANFL and soccer.

But as a critical lure to win the SANFL's support, Mr Hamilton-Smith is offering the football league control and ownership of the city venue. He detailed his plan in a meeting with SANFL chief executive Leigh Whicker on Friday.

"They would have to make the stadium available for the World Cup, Commonwealth Games, soccer and major events - but have a commercial incentive to do so," he said.

"The AFL has sent a clear signal it wants AFL games in the city. And we are offering an alternative to Adelaide Oval so that the SANFL can control its future."

sageru
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#146 Post by sageru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:10 am

Adelaide is presented with two options for progress for once, either way the state wins.
cruel_world00 wrote:
Well this might help Mr Hamilton-Smith shake off the Mr Bankrupt tag at least.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#147 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:44 am

Makes sense to me.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#148 Post by Strangled Cat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:02 am

I totally agree with MHS and I think Adelaide would be much better off with a Stadium in the city for many reasons. West Lakes will be better off too, there'll be no Footy traffic and I'm sure with the land sale of AAMI stadium will come a big new housing estate. One thing about the article which MHS said was that the AFL have "sent clear signals" they want football in the city, but isn't that contrary to what they have been saying though? I thought AFL wanted Footy at AAMI and that was one of the reasons why it would be hard to get a city stadium off the ground. Hmmm...

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#149 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 am

The signals were clear to MHS ... as clear as the other voices in his head :)
cheers,
Rhino

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#150 Post by adam73837 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:33 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
Price tag of $900m for Liberals sports venue
At least $200 million from the sale of AAMI Stadium and the $350 million budgeted for tram line extensions and upgrading football's West Lakes headquarters would offset the $900 million bill for the city venue for all football codes.
Hallelujah! I've been saying stuff like this for months! Before anyone jumps down my throat (again :) ), know that I'm not the only one who's been saying these sorts of things. Take a look on AdelaideNow or The Advertiser, granted they aren't the greatest news paper/ website around, however they give info about local news and what other people around town think.
Cruise wrote:
rhino wrote:And at this point neither AFL or SACA wants to use the stadium.
For good reason to.
Yeah? And here's a good reason for them to move into town:
But as a critical lure to win the SANFL's support, Mr Hamilton-Smith is offering the football league control and ownership of the city venue. He detailed his plan in a meeting with SANFL chief executive Leigh Whicker on Friday.

"They would have to make the stadium available for the World Cup, Commonwealth Games, soccer and major events - but have a commercial incentive to do so," he said.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)