Little ideas for a big city

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Little ideas for a big city

#166 Post by claybro » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Nathan wrote:Maybe as part of a revitalised Festival Plaza, or open up the Government House gardens to the public and include in there?
I love the idea of tearing down the wall infront of Gov House on North Terrace. Imagine how this would open up the vista from North Terrace over the lawns.A huge green space within minutes walk of Rundle Mall and for much less than the cost of Vic Sq. A beutiful spot for a lunch time picnic, and by all means include a speakers corner.

Nathan

#167 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Exactly, and it would create a parklands edge on to North Tce. I recall there was a 5000+ study suggesting that, along with closing Victoria Dr between King William Rd and Kintore Ave, so people have clear access all the way to the edge of the Torrens from North Tce, and would remove the existing situation where all the development on the North side of North Tce forms a barrier between the city and the river.

(I guess there's also a connection in the far east, where the Botanic Gardens are - although that's also walled off. Perhaps once the RAH has moved, they can knock down the non-heritage buildings and have a new non-gardens parklands connection there, and also create a third in the west as a land bridge over the rail lines between the Morphett St bridge and SAHMRI.)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#168 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:26 am

Wayno wrote:Anyone who's spent time in London will know of the Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park. i'd like similar in Adelaide, but not sure where. Needs to be distant enough to not bother folk, but close enough so those interested can conveniently drop by. Any ideas? The set up cost would be negligible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakers%27_Corner

Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne already have similar.
So do we, though it's now defunct. From the 1890s onwards, Botanic Park was Adelaide's version of Hyde Park, with lively speakers every Sunday. I'm not sure when the corner went into decline, but I remember a lecturer of mine telling me of it, so I'm assuming 1960s. I don't know if it could be revived at Botanic Park (a bit too distant from the hustle?), but Government House would be a good spot if they ever finally see the sense in bringing down the walls.

Addendum:

A bit of extra research yields this passage from an ACC report:
While religious doctrine was being spoken aloud in the Botanic in the 1880s, the central vicinity in Botanic Park also became a venue for political doctrine. This area, within a ring of Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla) became known as ‘Speaker’s Corner’ mimicking Hyde Park in London as a venue for political expressions by the Labor Regulation League, the forerunner to the Australian Labor Party, and personalities like Alf Roberts, Gregor McGregor, Tom Price, Crawford Vaughan, and John Abel McPherson, together with the political-rhetoric of lone crusaders such as ‘Redwing’, female rationalists, the 1893 meeting of the ‘New Australia’ movement on the eve of their departure to Paraguay, the Workers Industrial Union, and conscriptionists and anti-conscriptionists during World War I with a riot occurring following an anti-war meeting in 1915; all spoke in the venue subject to permits being issued by the Board ofthe Adelaide Botanic Garden. In 1950 the Board determined to shift ‘Speaker’s Corner’ from its central position to a location in ‘The Dell’ surrounded by First Creek, Frome Road and the former Exhibition Grounds. This activity declined following the 1950s and both places are forgotten spaces of social meaning in Botanic Park today.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#169 Post by claybro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm

At least it might get the "gospel preacher" nazis out of the mall!

Matt
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:47 pm

I'd love to take to that lot with a high pressure water cannon.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#171 Post by jase111 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok this was published in today's release of the public transport movement study
How many projects are on hold or been scrapped

> Coast to Coast light rail project, expanding the light rail network from Glenelg to the City and on to West Lakes, Port Adelaide and Semaphore;
> delivery of six new European trans, increasing TransAdelaide’s modern light rail fleet by 50% and providing more capacity;
> Glenelg tram overpass, allowing traffic to flow freely allowing a non-stop north-south corridor;
> Northern Connector expressway, which proposes a dual-use road and rail corridor, linking
Northern South Australia with Adelaide and the Port of Adelaide;
> Darlington major transport upgrade, allowing an extension of the Tonsley rail line, a new public transport interchange and a Park and Ride facility;
> O-Bahn bus route city access extension, designed to reduce O-Bahn bus travel times to and from the city by up to 10 minutes;
> 3000 fleet series railcar refurbishments, which consists of replacing internal fittings, painting externally, upgrading security systems, improving railcar layout, and increased customer information on-board;
> outer harbour rail revitalisation, consisting of an upgrade of Port Adelaide station, a new outer harbour rail line and a number of level crossing upgrades;
> $291m federally funded Seaford rail extension project, extending the Noarlunga rail line to Seaford to provide quick, quiet and reliable transport for the southern suburbs. The project includes a 1.2km elevated bridge over the Onkaparinga River and River road, three new road bridges, a station and bus/train interchange at the Seaford rail terminus, as well as a Park and Ride at Seaford Meadows station;
> rail revitalisation projects at Gawler and Noarlunga, which includes several track upgrades;
> Oaklands interchange project, providing increased security, a Park and Ride facility and bus and
rail transfers.
Source: Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure (2009), New Connections—Delivering our transport future now, Government of South Australia, Adelaide

[Shuz]

#172 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:41 am

> Coast to Coast light rail project, expanding the light rail network from Glenelg to the City and on to West Lakes, Port Adelaide and Semaphore; ON HOLD
> delivery of six new European trans, increasing TransAdelaide’s modern light rail fleet by 50% and providing more capacity; COMPLETED
> Glenelg tram overpass, allowing traffic to flow freely allowing a non-stop north-south corridor; COMPLETED
> Northern Connector expressway, which proposes a dual-use road and rail corridor, linking Northern South Australia with Adelaide and the Port of Adelaide; DELAYED
> Darlington major transport upgrade, allowing an extension of the Tonsley rail line, a new public transport interchange and a Park and Ride facility; SCRAPPED
> O-Bahn bus route city access extension, designed to reduce O-Bahn bus travel times to and from the city by up to 10 minutes; SCRAPPED
> 3000 fleet series railcar refurbishments, which consists of replacing internal fittings, painting externally, upgrading security systems, improving railcar layout, and increased customer information on-board; COMPLETED
> outer harbour rail revitalisation, consisting of an upgrade of Port Adelaide station, a new outer harbour rail line and a number of level crossing upgrades; COMPLETED
> $291m federally funded Seaford rail extension project, extending the Noarlunga rail line to Seaford to provide quick, quiet and reliable transport for the southern suburbs. The project includes a 1.2km elevated bridge over the Onkaparinga River and River road, three new road bridges, a station and bus/train interchange at the Seaford rail terminus, as well as a Park and Ride at Seaford Meadows station; UNDER CONSTRUCTION
> rail revitalisation projects at Gawler and Noarlunga, which includes several track upgrades; GAWLER - ON HOLDNOARLUNGA - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
> Oaklands interchange project, providing increased security, a Park and Ride facility and bus and rail transfers. DELAYED
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

[Shuz]

#173 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:45 am

Just for clarification - on hold means that the project is planned to happen but all associated works, design, construction, etc. are on hold indefinetly, whereas delayed means the project is planned to happen, and design work is still being carried out, but the actual project will not commence in the short-term timeframe (<5 years) expected and will most likely eventuate in the medium term (>5-10 years).
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#174 Post by Shahkar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 am

Nothing new on the coast to coast? :( Any chances it will be brought forward for the elections?

[Shuz]

#175 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:33 am

I very much doubt it. In case you hadn't noticed, the state is broke. We are on track to record a $1.2b budget deficit for the 2012/2013 financial year, and state debt is at $11b and climbing... There is literally no room for any new spending, and any new spending is very likely to come from existing expenditure; meaning significant cuts to projects and services. The upcoming State Election will probably be one of the most fiscally conservative elections seen in decades. Don't expect too many promises or big ticket items to be annouced by either major party. If anything, it will likely be a contest of who can promise to spend the least. We just may get another one-way expressway? :P

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#176 Post by Wayno » Sat May 04, 2013 9:31 pm

I seem to remember a similar proposal circa 2005

From AdelaideNow
Victorian businessman Richard Hudson is lobbying for the project using machinery from the Arthurs Seat chairlift on the Mornington Peninsula, which closed in 2006 after incidents including a pylon collapse in 2003 that injured 18 people, and a partial derailment in which a woman broke both legs.

The machinery was removed in March to make way for a new chairlift.

Mr Hudson operated the ski-lift-style ride from 1979 to 2006 and hopes to use the equipment at Mt Lofty for a tourist ride moving almost 500m at tree-top height to the former St Michael's site - which would be upgraded to a picnic ground.

According to his business plan, the chairlift would move slower than walking speed and take 250 people an hour in 36 double chairs along the ridge line, or 80,000 people a year, giving views through the canopy as well as over Adelaide.

Mr Hudson said the chairlift would not be visible from the city. He met Environment Department officers in 2011 to discuss the plan and was advised in a letter to prepare a "detailed business case along with an environmental impact study".

Mr Hudson engaged Adelaide consultants Hames Sharley to prepare the extensive plans.

But five months after they were submitted in 2011, department chief executive Allan Holmes responded with a one-page letter stating the plan might affect existing lease arrangements for Mt Lofty that expire in 2020. Mr Holmes also noted the proposal could not be supported until long-term strategic planning for the area had been completed.

State Opposition Leader Steven Marshall said the project deserved to at least be examined and slammed the delay in decision-making after Mr Hudson had been told to prepare a business plan.

A department spokeswoman said it was up to Mr Hudson to make an individual decision about whether he wished to proceed with a business plan and information about lease arrangements could have been obtained through the department.

Tom and Megan Pretlove, of Paralowie, said a scenic chairlift would encourage more people to visit Mt Lofty. "It would be great for tourism," Mr Pretlove said.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#177 Post by Maximus » Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am

Wayno wrote:I seem to remember a similar proposal circa 2005
Or even earlier than that...

I would LOVE to see this happen. Maybe one day. (We need a dreaming emoticon.)
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#178 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Wayno wrote:I seem to remember a similar proposal circa 2005

From AdelaideNow
Victorian businessman Richard Hudson is lobbying for the project using machinery from the Arthurs Seat chairlift on the Mornington Peninsula, which closed in 2006 after incidents including a pylon collapse in 2003 that injured 18 people, and a partial derailment in which a woman broke both legs.

The machinery was removed in March to make way for a new chairlift.

Mr Hudson operated the ski-lift-style ride from 1979 to 2006 and hopes to use the equipment at Mt Lofty for a tourist ride moving almost 500m at tree-top height to the former St Michael's site - which would be upgraded to a picnic ground.

According to his business plan, the chairlift would move slower than walking speed and take 250 people an hour in 36 double chairs along the ridge line, or 80,000 people a year, giving views through the canopy as well as over Adelaide.

Mr Hudson said the chairlift would not be visible from the city. He met Environment Department officers in 2011 to discuss the plan and was advised in a letter to prepare a "detailed business case along with an environmental impact study".

Mr Hudson engaged Adelaide consultants Hames Sharley to prepare the extensive plans.

But five months after they were submitted in 2011, department chief executive Allan Holmes responded with a one-page letter stating the plan might affect existing lease arrangements for Mt Lofty that expire in 2020. Mr Holmes also noted the proposal could not be supported until long-term strategic planning for the area had been completed.

State Opposition Leader Steven Marshall said the project deserved to at least be examined and slammed the delay in decision-making after Mr Hudson had been told to prepare a business plan.

A department spokeswoman said it was up to Mr Hudson to make an individual decision about whether he wished to proceed with a business plan and information about lease arrangements could have been obtained through the department.

Tom and Megan Pretlove, of Paralowie, said a scenic chairlift would encourage more people to visit Mt Lofty. "It would be great for tourism," Mr Pretlove said.

From what I read above; Richard Hudson, who was in charge when maintenance issues caused two accidents and who owns the equipment, wants to move the 30 year old equipment, which has been sitting idle for about 6 years, to Mt Lofty and Tom and Megan Pretlove, of Paralowie think it's a good idea?

My confidence is not at its highest right now.

Maybe it would be a worthwhile addition to Mt Lofty, but I don't think it should have anything to do with the equipment or gentleman mentioned above.

Something to think about - places which have got rid of their chair lift attractions recently; Adelaide Show Grounds, Disneyland and Disney World. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#179 Post by claybro » Mon May 06, 2013 6:46 pm

monotonehell wrote:From what I read above; Richard Hudson, who was in charge when maintenance issues caused two accidents and who owns the equipment, wants to move the 30 year old equipment, which has been sitting idle for about 6 years, to Mt Lofty and Tom and Megan Pretlove, of Paralowie think it's a good idea?
monotonehell wrote:My confidence is not at its highest right now.
I agree...I was actually a bit shocked when I read this. Surely we are not considering a 30 year old chairlift system, that has previoulsy had issues. I also remember the previous propsal, but I thought it was for gondola style cars, from Waterfall Gully to the summit. As usual, the NIMBYS/ greenies where in an uproar about defacing the Adelaide Himalayas and so it got squashed.

Waewick

#180 Post by Waewick » Thu May 16, 2013 1:48 pm

not sure if this is the right place for it.....but.

How would we go, lobbying the ACC to allocate spaces within the parklands to people who wish to improve them? obviously you would need to meet a certain level of design and integration into the wider park lands but if it is done with the groups own resources why not?

I came around to this idea largely due to my desire to see the Japanese Gardens extended, realising that it would need to be done by way of private funding.

what do people think? is it an idea that is possible? or even worth considering?