Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

#181 Post by Omicron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Because every good thread needs data:

Mean: 40,975.

So, this year's Crows minor round home crowds are 5.3% down on the long-term average, last year's down 0.7%, and 2007's up 2.5%. I really don't see a long-term negative trend here; especially not one that justifies complete relocation. They ought to be a bit concerned about the fall from the 42,500 peak in '06, but that seems to me like a need for a fiddle with business strategy rather than packing up and moving out.

Mean = 29,571

2009 Power minor round home crowds are 17.6% down on the long-term mean, 2008 19.4% down, and 2007 down 5.75%. That's more of a worry.

You could make a good case for the Power relocating, but you'd be really hard-pressed to make the same case for the Crows. As we know, it's either both or neither.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World

#182 Post by adam73837 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:45 pm

It's funny Omicron, if graphed, that "Crows" data somewhat resembles a wave, don't you think?
cruel_world00 wrote: Comments like the one I put in bold by Leigh Whicker frustrate me immensely. 52,000 people showing up to the one final we get here a year (sometimes more sometimes less) is not a vote of confidence by spectators. Check the average match attendance this year rather than pointing to one stand alone fixture. I really dislike this guy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Crows could play at Victor Habor every week and would still get the crowds :mrgreen: .

Great Win for the Crows tonight BTW, but my question now is: What will AAMI Stadium be used for during the next ~6months? :roll: :D
Last edited by adam73837 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#183 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:54 pm

adam73837 wrote:It's funny Omicron, if graphed, that "Crows" data somewhat resembles a wave, don't you think?
cruel_world00 wrote: Comments like the one I put in bold by Leigh Whicker frustrate me immensely. 52,000 people showing up to the one final we get here a year (sometimes more sometimes less) is not a vote of confidence by spectators. Check the average match attendance this year rather than pointing to one stand alone fixture. I really dislike this guy.
I agree with you cruel_world00 and I would say something about that man but I don't want to see this forum locked :wink: . I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Crows could play at Victor Habor every week and would still get the crowds :mrgreen: .

Great Win for the Crows tonight BTW, but my question now is: What will AAMI Stadium be used for during the next ~6months? :roll: :D

I think it's used as a giant reminder at how small minded our state is... or something like that?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#184 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:42 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:I think it's used as a giant reminder at how small minded our state is... or something like that?
To be fair, back when "Football Park" was built there was SANFL in the winter and Cricket in the summer, and that was it. "Everyone" had a car and we were a 20 minute city for real. We are talking almost four decades ago -- 1973. It was a very different mindset back then, where multi-purpose stadia weren't even thought of.

If there was a real reason to build this stadium for the World Cup, investors would be lining up to build it. As it stands (pun intended) it's a massive white elephant.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#185 Post by Hooligan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Also, Football park never saw crowds of 20,000 to 50,000 on single occasion each week in winter.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#186 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:09 pm

monotonehell wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:I think it's used as a giant reminder at how small minded our state is... or something like that?
To be fair, back when "Football Park" was built there was SANFL in the winter and Cricket in the summer, and that was it. "Everyone" had a car and we were a 20 minute city for real. We are talking almost four decades ago -- 1973. It was a very different mindset back then, where multi-purpose stadia weren't even thought of.

If there was a real reason to build this stadium for the World Cup, investors would be lining up to build it. As it stands (pun intended) it's a massive white elephant.

You assume I'm saying initially that initially Footy Park was a waste. I'm not. Back then it wasn't. Now it is. (See: Waverley Park.)

**edit, I think I cut some of my comment off
Last edited by cruel_world00 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#PRO: FIFA-Soccer stadium

#187 Post by fabricator » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
We'll have a World Cup stadium

STATE Sports Minister Michael Wright has revealed there's "no chance" Adelaide will be left out of Australia's 2018-2022 soccer World Cup bid.

Football Federation Australia officials were last night delighted to learn the State Government would guarantee – by its October deadline – that an Adelaide stadium would meet FIFA hosting criteria.

"It is welcome news that it is understood they need a stadium that is FIFA-compliant," FFA spokeswoman Bonita Mersiades said.

Mr Wright was diplomatic in hoping both AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval could be considered to host fixtures, but noted FFA chief executive Ben Buckley had anointed a redeveloped, 50,000-person capacity Adelaide Oval.

"If Australia is successful, we will guarantee that South Australia has a stadium that is built to FIFA requirements," Mr Wright said.

FFA yesterday reinforced that AAMI Stadium would not be included in any bid.
Its a bit odd to have a proposal for a major facility without knowing its location.

Doesn't look like its going to be a new building, but there is a big difference between a footy/cricket oval and a Soccer oval. Temporary stands perhaps ?
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#188 Post by Hooligan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/comm ... 01,00.html
STATE Sports Minister Michael Wright has revealed there's "no chance" Adelaide will be left out of Australia's 2018-2022 soccer World Cup bid.

Football Federation Australia officials were last night delighted to learn the State Government would guarantee – by its October deadline – that an Adelaide stadium would meet FIFA hosting criteria.

"It is welcome news that it is understood they need a stadium that is FIFA-compliant," FFA spokeswoman Bonita Mersiades said.

Mr Wright was diplomatic in hoping both AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval could be considered to host fixtures, but noted FFA chief executive Ben Buckley had anointed a redeveloped, 50,000-person capacity Adelaide Oval.

"If Australia is successful, we will guarantee that South Australia has a stadium that is built to FIFA requirements," Mr Wright said.

Signature removed 

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#189 Post by adam_stuckey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 am

Hooligan wrote:http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/comm ... 01,00.html

fabricator wrote:http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
We'll have a World Cup stadium

Its a bit odd to have a proposal for a major facility without knowing its location.

Doesn't look like its going to be a new building, but there is a big difference between a footy/cricket oval and a Soccer oval. Temporary stands perhaps ?
no offence but i don't think i can take another temporary building in adelaide why can't we actually build what we need for once and not a whole heap of scaffolding. I swear we must be the largest customers to the temporary grandstand industry! One thing i don't understand about temp stands is how can anyone justify spending all that build up a bring down costs every year compared to just one off cost of building something permanent
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#190 Post by Omicron » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:51 am

The 2012 London Olympic stadium is essentially a temporary stadium, to be reconfigured and reduced in size from 80,000 to 25,000 after the Games. It's not without precedent.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#191 Post by fabricator » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:02 am

fabricator wrote:
Hooligan wrote: Doesn't look like its going to be a new building, but there is a big difference between a footy/cricket oval and a Soccer oval. Temporary stands perhaps ?

no offence but i don't think i can take another temporary building in adelaide why can't we actually build what we need for once and not a whole heap of scaffolding. I swear we must be the largest customers to the temporary grandstand industry! One thing i don't understand about temp stands is how can anyone justify spending all that build up a bring down costs every year compared to just one off cost of building something permanent
No offence but i don't think you have any clue about soccer.

Adelaide Oval, the grassy bit itself, is the wrong shape and size, being too big and oval. Hence temporary stands at each end would at least mean spectators are closer to the action near the goals at least. In any case I was thinking more a one off thing for the World Cup, should be plenty of suitable grandstands from the Clipsal 500.

The different pitch sizes are what really kills the idea of a universal stadium for all sports, make it big enough for Cricket and the stands are too far back for some other sports.
That and how footy needs to be played on mud and not grass. :lol:
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#192 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 am

If you guys are talking about something similar to Homebush during the 2000 Olympics for a temporary stand then sure that would look good. That's one of the ideas for the Rectangular stadiums that are planned, that the capacity would be 45,000ish and then get scaled back to 25,000 - 30,000 after that world cup (for the same price as 10,000 seats at Adelaide Oval. But i'm just talking about the scaffolding that Adelaide set up during the Clipsal 500, Olympic football at Hindmarsh stadium and international cricket (between the Chappell stands) YUK!

For me that definines Adelaide's attempts at hosting major sporting events. Generally not well thought out due to the constant bickering leading up then a final decsion is made far too soon to when the event which no one is happy with, but the only option due to the total lack of time left
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#193 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 am

Australia on show for Cup bid
Australia's bid for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup will be under the microscope of Asian Football Confederation (AFC) delegates who arrived in Australia Monday for an inspection tour of facilities and infrastructure.

The delegation will visit key stadiums, training sites and hotels around the country as part of a week long inspection tour.

The AFC Asian Cup is the pre-eminent national team tournament played in the Asian region. The tournament was first played in 1956, and has never been hosted by Australia which only joined the Asian Football Confederation in 2006.

"We welcome the AFC Asian Cup bid delegation to Australia," said FFA CEO, Ben Buckley.

"This is our opportunity to show the bid delegation what we have to offer as a sporting nation and further position Australia as a potential host for significant football tournaments.

The inspection provides a chance for delegates to visit potential host cities, prior to the submission of our bid book next February.

The delegation will attend a Hyundai A-League match in Round 6, during their time in Australia.

A decision on the hosts for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup is anticipated in November this year.

Australia is also bidding for the right to host the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup with a decision to be made on the successful bidders for both tournaments in December 2010.
I wonder if they'll try and sweep us under the rug? I'm not even sure if Adelaide is included in the Asian Cup bid!! Just looking around i can't find anything that mentions host cities. I know they're going to look at the Gold Coast on Monday.

And apparently Australia is the only country so far to say that they're bidding for the 2015 cup

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#194 Post by Hooligan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:39 pm

adam_stuckey wrote: I'm not even sure if Adelaide is included in the Asian Cup bid!! Just looking around i can't find anything that mentions host cities.

We're not goint to be included. AFC tournament requires 20,000 seat venues

Signature removed 

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#195 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 am

crap i can hear the scaffolding clanging already!