Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

#166 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Norman wrote:Yes, they play one match per week, at around 11pm Saturday local time.
Excellent! I thought they'd try and get the MLS considering their unhealthy obsession with American sports. I reckon anyone of the top European leagues would do well on one Italy, Spain or even France never get much air time on Foxsports compared to the EPL
Norman wrote:
Shuz wrote:I wasn't exactly calling for the support of retaining it as an athletics venue, but rather utilize the land which it sits upon for the redevelopment/reconstruction, what-not, into a soccer stadium. As they already own the land; such a venture should cost absolutely no more than $400m.

Melbourne's Rectangular Stadium - capacity 31,500 - started construction in 2007, and will open in 2010, at a cost of $268m.
Suncorp Stadium Redevelopment - capacity 52,500 - was redeveloped, and finished in 2003 at a cost of $280m.

I haven't factored in inflation, because RBA's inflation calculator isn't working. Grrr..... But still, the price guide, for both stadiums which are State Government owned assets, are bloody cheap.
It's also close to Mile End Station, which is a bonus.
Well then i agree with you further if your're talking about a whole new stadium. I still can't understand why anyone thinks that spending $350m on Adelaide Oval is better than a completely new stadium for the same price.

I think that once the Melbourne stadium if finished we should just get everyone who was involved with it planning, design, approval and construction and ship them over here!
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#167 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:41 pm

FYI

Bundesliga Highlights show on Tuesday (tonight) 9:30pm
1 game per week 10:55pm Saturday nights

WooHoo free to air football finally!!
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#168 Post by Omicron » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:13 am

Hooligan wrote:
adam_stuckey wrote:13,800 first the first game isn't a bad turn out 82% capacity which equals around 45,000 at AAMI.
That must be the strangest logic i have ever read.
+1

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#169 Post by fabricator » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:18 am

Its a shame we couldn't have built it at Cheltenham Racecourse, more than enough room and its own dedicated railway station. Man our state government are short-sighted idiots. Why build housing on every big block off free land that crops up ?
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#170 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 am

fabricator wrote:Its a shame we couldn't have built it at Cheltenham Racecourse, more than enough room and its own dedicated railway station. Man our state government are short-sighted idiots. Why build housing on every big block off free land that crops up ?
I think that Cheltenham would be too far out of town one of the main points of getting a new stadium in general is because AAMI is miles away and everyone wants a city stadium. Maybe Victoria Park is a better option there's just as much space there. And considering people only walk there dogs there i reckon there's a good case for it. We could build it between the Clipsal track and Greenhill road.

And just for a visual aid i found this on youtube (just think $270 million plus inflation!)

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:59 am

Also for anyone interested Italian Serie A is now on One HD Monday mornings!!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#172 Post by Shuz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm

That stadium is seriously going to look sooooo good once done.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#173 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:38 am

Also for anyone interested $270 million in 2005 equals $298.5 million in 2008 so if we started soon $350 million would be fairly accurate

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#174 Post by adam73837 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:13 pm

I completely agree with you Adam, but you see, this is Adelaide, not Melbourne :wink: :lol: . While they were building the Docklands area and preparing for the Commonwealth Games, we were debating on whether or not to have Public Toilets in Victoria Square! :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#175 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:52 am

Red alert for SA stadia uplift
IT'S the ultimate tangle.Sports followers in this state are nervous, very nervous at present and they should be.

Football Federation Australia must know by next month if Adelaide Oval will be redeveloped to meet FIFA 2018/2022 World Cup hosting criteria.

Any Adelaide Oval refit to 50,000 capacity is contingent on the South Australian National Football League and SA Cricket Association agreeing to consolidate activities - including AFL fixtures - in the CBD. State government backing will also be required.

Therefore the SANFL, SACA and the government have four weeks to do what they haven't done in 40 years and work constructively for the betterment of sport here.

The AFL wants games played in the CBD, which would bring joy to fans and tourism operators. Yet AFL supremo Andrew Demetriou is facing resistance from a recalcitrant SANFL and Adelaide Crows.

The SANFL has requested $100 million in state government funding to provide a facelift on unpopular AAMI Stadium.

Adelaide wants to remain at West Lakes to justify spending $19m on glitzy clubrooms.

Adelaide chief Steven Trigg this week implored Crows fans to attend Friday's prime time elimination final against Essendon at AAMI. It should be money for jam but it's not when held at a dud venue.

Trigg dreads "please explains" from the AFL over poor attendances at AAMI. A move to the city could solve a headache for Trigg and other codes.

Don't forget, Port Adelaide desires a move from West Lakes with just 17,000 fans attending its round 22 farewell match for Brendon Lade and Peter Burgoyne.

So, the stakes are high with leading sports having signalled they will bypass the City of Churches if stadia infrastucture isn't improved.

Adelaide Oval will not host World Cup soccer, rugby and cricket fixtures without expansion beyond 45,000 seats.

Yet public debate is being stifled regarding SA's future stadia needs.

SACA has this week failed to respond to requests from this paper to learn who is driving negotiations with government, FFA and the SANFL. Former chief executive Mike Deare will not be replaced for "some months".

Taxpayers who have already provided $50 million in federal and state government funding for Adelaide Oval's western upgrade deserve an update on SACA's vision.

The dissaray at SACA contrasts with the arrogance of some football officials who oppose any debate about pending stadium requirements.

Fans will be praying for a miracle that triggers a rejuvenation of ageing sports stadia and prevents Adelaide becoming a major events backwater.
This is pretty much what I’ve been saying but i really can see this forcing the Government’s hand if these two can't agree then why should the government help them out? especially when the only reason they want to increase Adelaide Oval is due to the World Cup which doesn’t involve either of them! I really hope all this wasteful squabbling comes back to bite them and we build a Rectangular stadium that they can’t benefit from. Then when they drive past it, it will be a glowing reminder of their mind-blowing incompetence.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#176 Post by Shuz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 am

Well, given that we've one month to decide. I thought this is fitting... :P
Well you put alot in and you worked real hard
there were days when you tried, there were days when you stopped
trying to please the crowd, when their unforgiving
there are easier ways to make a living

well you've come along way since the start of things
when you've seen the joy, that hard work brings
you've made us cry, you've made us smile
your in the front, now its all worth while

Cause theres one day in september
we wont to remember
there isn't any doubting
we'll be in the shouting
football's such a part of this whole town
and we know that you wont let us down

well theres nothing better than a nice good win
theres no second prize if you let em' in
you gotta give it you best
then give again
out theres no such as winners friends
well we've been our best, we've been our worst
when we do it right, well we'll come on first
gotta get in there, and make em' sad
we'll hit em' hard, take the flag

we wont to remember
there isn't any doubting
we'll be in the shouting
football's such a part of this whole town(o such a part of this whole town)

in there and fight
show em' your might
don't let em' in
football's such a part of this whole town(footballs such a part of this whole town)

in there and fight
cause we've waited till the finals
show em' your might
cause theres one day in septembers
don't let em' in
footy's such a part of this whole town(footballs such a part of this whole town)
and we know you wont let us down

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#177 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:31 am

ok....

One thing I’m surprised by is all the comments on adelaidenow aren't made by raving lunatics everyone seems to be agreeing that at this late stage a new stadium is to only way forward

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by Hooligan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Wow, what a well balenced article.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#179 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:07 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 12,00.html
Record crowd now likely at AAMI
CANDICE KELLER

September 04, 2009 12:00am

THE CROWS are poised to break records at AAMI Stadium tonight when they take on Essendon in an elimination final.

Not only does Adelaide hope to improve its finals' performance record under current coach Neil Craig, but the team has a chance at breaking the attendance record at the West Lakes venue.

More than 50,000 tickets have been sold for the game, and taking into account the expected 2000 corporate facilities attendees, AAMI Stadium owner the SANFL anticipates a 52,000-strong crowd for the final.

The attendance record for AAMI Stadium stands at 51,140 for a round five Showdown match between the Crows and Power in 2003.

SANFL executive commissioner Leigh Whicker said South Australian fans had shown "overwhelming" support for the Adelaide Football Club and AAMI Stadium.

SA Lotteries Footy Express will provide free bus travel to and from AAMI Stadium on Friday night while more than 10,000 carpark spaces will be available.

Ralph Pacillo of Lockleys will be attending the game with his family to cheer on his beloved Crows. It will be the first time his youngest child, Gerard, 5, will be at a live game.

"He's really excited to see the football in person," Ralph said.

"It's great for the state to have the Crows in the finals. We'd love to see them prove the critics wrong. They have a great opportunity to show the rest of the AFL what they're made of."

The game will also be broadcast live on Channel 7 from 7.30pm.

Comments like the one I put in bold by Leigh Whicker frustrate me immensely. 52,000 people showing up to the one final we get here a year (sometimes more sometimes less) is not a vote of confidence by spectators. Check the average match attendance this year rather than pointing to one stand alone fixture. I really dislike this guy.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#180 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Well said I'd be surprised if AAMi didn't sell out in a finals match. Is it just me or is this finals series getting alot more coverage than previous ones? Considering the crows have made the finals in most of the last few seasons. I do realise that finals are a big deal though.

SA on stadia scrap heap
ADELAIDE is the nation's international football wasteland after Hindmarsh Stadium failed to meet the minimum standards required to become a host venue for the international 2015 Asian Cup.

Football Federation Australia's head of the AFC Asian Cup 2015 bid Rob Abernethy yesterday confirmed Adelaide will be bypassed for the international tournament.

"Hindmarsh Stadium is non-compliant according to the minimum requirements of the AFC," Abernethy said.

"Perth is in the same predicament as Adelaide."

The AFC is tipped to award five Australian venues the rights to host the 2015 tournament. Australia is the only bidder for 2015 Asian 16-nation 32-match international tournament.

Hindmarsh is a "non-compliant" stadium according to the Asian Football Confederation's stringent Asian Cup 2015 organising committee's official document. Hindmarsh falls 3500 seats short of the minimum 20,000 seats required.

While AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval have the spectator capacity, the venues will not be considered because they don't comply with other AFC criteria, Abernethy added.

AFC officials will next week conduct preliminary inspection tours by visiting eastern states' venues. Cities which have compliant stadia and the relevant transport and hotels infrastructure will win the hosting rights.

The Asian Cup tournament is looming to be an ideal warm up for the FIFA 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup should Australia win the bid but Hindmarsh will be reduced to a mere training facility. The 2015 tournament has been pencilled in for January - following in the footsteps of the Qatar Asian Cup in 2011. Despite January coinciding with European football league's mid-season, FIFA will lay down the letter of the law to clubs which could be intent on holding back prized players for international duty.

FIFA's international match calendar has stated that January 7 until January 29, 2011 must be kept free for players representing their nations in the Qatar Asian Cup.

But sports most powerful governing body still hasn't finalised its FIFA calendar from 2015. Adelaide last hosted a men's senior international in 2004 when Tim Cahill and Brett Emerton scored in the Socceroos 2-2 draw with Solomon Islands in a OFC Nations Cup/World Cup qualifier at Hindmarsh before the new age A-League football competition kicked started in 2005.
i really hope we miss out on a spot for the Asian cup just so then the public and the Govenment will realise how desperately in need we are of a new stadium if we are to host major international events and put SA on the map. We'll keep on missing out on all of these things till it happens, and in the end if the AFC or FIFA say "not till you buiid something, these are our terms take it or leave it " the Govenment can't argue with it.