My Adelaide Road & Rail Plan

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
fabricator
Legendary Member!

Re: My Ideas for Adelaide Transport System

#61 Post by fabricator » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:54 pm

jk1237 wrote:
fkj wrote:im interested as to why bedford park seems to be at the centre of all your proposals?
well for me, its cause that part of South Rd handles about 70,000 cars per day, and hundreds of buses driving all the way into town via 2 old narrow, congested roads. Just to capture around 10% of that commuting would make a well patronised train line. It wouldn't be a huge project, I reckon it could be done in a couple of years, so hopefully it can start in about 2-3 years time, to fit in timeline with the new trains
If you add up the traffic from the different roads that feed into that area, its even worse.

Get map MT11 from
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... olumes.asp

Main South Road (past Mitsubishi), 69,400
Marion Road, 39,800
Sturt Road, 27,900
---------------------
total , 137,100

Also note how a lot of the traffic is going via goodwood road to avoid congestion.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by Aidan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 am

fabricator wrote:
jk1237 wrote:
fkj wrote:im interested as to why bedford park seems to be at the centre of all your proposals?
well for me, its cause that part of South Rd handles about 70,000 cars per day, and hundreds of buses driving all the way into town via 2 old narrow, congested roads. Just to capture around 10% of that commuting would make a well patronised train line. It wouldn't be a huge project, I reckon it could be done in a couple of years, so hopefully it can start in about 2-3 years time, to fit in timeline with the new trains
If you add up the traffic from the different roads that feed into that area, its even worse.

Get map MT11 from
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... olumes.asp

Main South Road (past Mitsubishi), 69,400
Marion Road, 39,800
Sturt Road, 27,900
---------------------
total , 137,100
If you include that section of Sturt Road, you're doing a lot of double counting! This could be avoided by changing the section of South Road you look at: 67300 vehicles S of Sturt Road brings your total to 117000.

Also note how a lot of the traffic is going via goodwood road to avoid congestion.
You can't assume it's to avoid congestion - it may be that they want to avoid trucks, or it may just be that Goodwood Road is more convenient for their destination.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#63 Post by fkj » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:54 pm

yes, i understand that south road is congested horribly, but what i meant when asking why his proposals are centralised around bedford park was, why not extend it further?

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by Straze » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 am

The reason why my proposal for the South Road Busway Project does not go further south than Bedford Park is because i was mainly focusing on the part of South Road between Mile End & Bedford Park, some of you may remember back between 1996 & 2001 there was a proposal announced by the State Government for a new O-Bahn busway to the South which what i read was to run alongside the Noarlunga Centre Line and replace the Tonsley branch line with a dual carriageway, the busway was predicted to cost $182 million to build, the high cost and the fact that the Emerson overpass would have to be changed to accommodate the busway, this led to the proposal to being rejected. So i thought what about if we take the busway underground instead, if i was to take my proposal to a State Government political party i would give it to the Liberal Party to have a look at as they were the ones who had the courage to try something new and build it, a guided busway - The Adelaide O-Bahn. Come on where else in Adelaide can you ride a bus 12kms in just 20 minutes.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

Aidan

#65 Post by Aidan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 am

Straze wrote:The reason why my proposal for the South Road Busway Project does not go further south than Bedford Park is because i was mainly focusing on the part of South Road between Mile End & Bedford Park, some of you may remember back between 1996 & 2001 there was a proposal announced by the State Government for a new O-Bahn busway to the South which what i read was to run alongside the Noarlunga Centre Line and replace the Tonsley branch line with a dual carriageway, the busway was predicted to cost $182 million to build, the high cost and the fact that the Emerson overpass would have to be changed to accommodate the busway, this led to the proposal to being rejected.
Rejected due to it being too expensive to build the infrastructure at one spot so you propose hugely expensive infrastructure along the entire length?
So i thought what about if we take the busway underground instead, if i was to take my proposal to a State Government political party i would give it to the Liberal Party to have a look at as they were the ones who had the courage to try something new and build it, a guided busway - The Adelaide O-Bahn.
The Liberal Party were sensible enough to reject their own Southern O-bahn proposal on cost grounds - do you really think they'd not do the same to something that's far more expensive?
Come on where else in Adelaide can you ride a bus 12kms in just 20 minutes.
The South Eastern Freeway?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Straze » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 am

So if we extend the Tonsley Line to Flinders Medical Centre or Flinders University we can feed some of the buses there where commuters can transfer to the train. I have been down South Road, seen a birds eye view of the area and seen a street view, the only way i can suggest to assist buses is to give them space and priority at some of the major traffic light intersections. To put in extra lane for buses on both side you would have to buy land, except near the Mitsubishi at Clovelly Park where you could change one of lanes into a dedicated bus lane. The Adelaide CBD main transport corridor for South Road bus routes is King William Road, King William Street, Victoria Square and Grote Street. I have seen a video on Youtube of a news story back in 1990 - they said that they wanted to extend the tramline up King William Street to the Festival Theatre and North Adelaide, there was also a proposal to turn King William Street into a transit mall where cars would be banned, in my opinion this would be a great idea because it would not only assist public transport but would also send a message to motorists that if you keep driving down this corridor we will have to force you out. If i were to go further i would also turn Currie and Grenfell Street into a transit mall too.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by AG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Straze wrote:The Adelaide CBD main transport corridor for South Road bus routes is King William Road, King William Street, Victoria Square and Grote Street. I have seen a video on Youtube of a news story back in 1990 - they said that they wanted to extend the tramline up King William Street to the Festival Theatre and North Adelaide, there was also a proposal to turn King William Street into a transit mall where cars would be banned, in my opinion this would be a great idea because it would not only assist public transport but would also send a message to motorists that if you keep driving down this corridor we will have to force you out. If i were to go further i would also turn Currie and Grenfell Street into a transit mall too.
This all sounds good in theory, but you'd also need to reinforce the role of the ring roads around the parklands of bypassing the CBD to encourage traffic to go around the CBD instead of through it. There's numerous points around the ring road system that would need to be redesigned and rebuilt to accommodate a redistribution in traffic. I certainly support making King William Street more pedestrian-friendly though.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#68 Post by Straze » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Okay here are some examples where the city ring would fail - 1. I work for Couriers Please in Mile End, i need to make a delivery to Magill so the direct way would be to go via Port Road, North Terrace and Magill Road yet if i decided to avoid the city and use the city ring route i would go via Port Road, Park Tce, Fitzroy Tce, Robe Tce, Park Road, Hackney Road, North Tce and Magill Road. The first option there is 12 traffic lights between Mile End & the start of Magill Road, the second option there is 11 traffic lights even though i would avoid the delays along North Terrace i am no better off using the city ring route as its the long way around and i would still get delays at intersections such as Main North Road. I dont think building a tunnel under the city would be the best way instead we should focus on making the city ring route a non stop corridor as much as possible this should therefore encourage motorists to use the city ring route instead of clogging up the city. In Gawler there is the Gawler Bypass Road that allows motorists to get to the Barossa Valley without going through the town centre of Gawler.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#69 Post by fkj » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:20 pm

YES
thats what i want, a good city ring route, and the king w road idea sounds good too, now by transit mall, does that mean busses are still allowed on it?

Now i was just thinking about the ring route, and it could go outside the parklands, which would require some new road construction, with a new section of road built parellel to West Terrace, along the train corridor, connecting to Port Road/Nth Terrace,
very rough idea, not exactly thought out yet, but if it was placed like this some of the roads going through the parklands could be removed, with the upgrade of the remaining roads, and therefore we would have larger parks, with less roads running through them, which in my mind would make them significantly more useable

EDIT: the corner at dequeteville tce and botanic road would be more rounded, with a new section of road extending off dequet. cutting the corner, and the same in the corner between port road and the new road

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Straze » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:32 pm

The City ring route i propose i aim to improve traffic conditions in the city by encouraging motorists to use the city ring route, this will be done by taking some of the route underneath the major intersections and improving the traffic light sequence to make it more streamline. The route runs from James Congdon Drive in the west around the city via Port Road, Park Terrace, Fitzroy Terrace, Robe Terrace, Mann Road/Park Road, Hackney Road, Dequetteville Terrace, Fullarton Road and Greenhill Road. I also suggest this entire route be named something like The Adelaide City Ring Road instead of all the multiple street names. The King William Street transit mall - all public transport modes will be allowed to use the corridor i.e buses and trams.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 pm

lol @ North Tce being used as a City Ring Route while both the ACC to the east and the tram line to the west remove lanes and narrow the street. :applause:

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by Westside » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 pm

fkj wrote: Now i was just thinking about the ring route...
I've never heard of a ring route going directly through a city before - you are aware that North Adelaide is part of the city too?

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#73 Post by fkj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 pm

i am aware, and have made a much more thought out design, as that previous design was useless
here is the pic where i actually switched my brain on,, and wasnt over tired and hungover :lol:
blue roads are the only roads i would want to pass through the parklands, too open up the parks and make them more useable

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:52 pm

What about having a "Figure 8" ring road, using Grote/Wakefield - perhaps tunnel from Morphett <--> Pulteney.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan

#75 Post by Aidan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:04 pm

fkj wrote:i am aware, and have made a much more thought out design, as that previous design was useless
here is the pic where i actually switched my brain on,, and wasnt over tired and hungover :lol:
blue roads are the only roads i would want to pass through the parklands, too open up the parks and make them more useable
Your plan would further isolate the parklands from the suburbs, making them far less usable! Upgrading these roads to a nonstop corridor was proposed decades ago, and rejected for good reasons. But this is the worst version of it I've seen - all the traffic entering would be diverted through some already busy intersections! And why would you want the Bakewell Underpass to be abandoned?

If you were looking to kill off investment in our CBD, this would be the way to do it!