No light/heavy rail coverage map

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
fabricator
Legendary Member!

Re: No light/heavy rail coverage map

#16 Post by fabricator » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 pm

monotonehell wrote:
fabricator wrote:So your saying that if more of the city has access to light/heavy rail, then their will be less people per vehicle. :hilarious:
No, that's not what I said at all. Sorry if I was unclear. While examples like the tram extension are a success, they prove only that if you put a rail service where a lot of people want to go a lot of the time, patronage will increase. But if you run services everywhere individuals want to go at any time you end up with a lot of possibly well patronised mostly empty vehicles (think along the lines of cars).

Rail needs to be placed where it will be patronised in bulk. So it can better pay for itself. For Adelaide that means the rush time commutes between major centres. I'm sure that there is scope for more rail linking more centres, however.
Ideally heavy rail would serve all the major shopping centers, for example. Marion is possible technically, just change the Adelaide to Brighton train to Adelaide to Marion SC. But then its a branch line accessible from the south only. Do we divert a train line at great expense, or is it better to run a frequent bus/tram shuttle type service to fill in the gap ? Is simply paying to relocate the entire shopping centre to the train station a cheaper option ?

Any new rail (tram or train) should serve areas which lack any sort of service at the moment, priority to outer suburbs and areas with decent population density. As my map shows, Semaphore doesn't really need a tram, the money would be better spent on trams down The Parade or Henley Beach Road. As a feel good exercise to bring new life to Port Adelaide and Semaphore it has merit, but the government shouldn't be claiming its to fix public transport problems.

Morphett Vale to Adelaide via Tonsley is a good link between housing, industry, a major hospital and the CBD. There are some smaller shopping districts as well which are within walking distance of the corridor. Rail in this area would cause these shopping districts to expand in scale and density, supply and demand.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Hooligan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:52 pm

I don't understand this thread,
No rail based transport available = no public transport?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Waewick » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:38 pm

i'm trying to work out where the Norwood Tram line is :(

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by fabricator » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:31 pm

capitalist wrote:i'm trying to work out where the Norwood Tram line is :(
Its in the 30 year plan, runs down the Parade.
Hooligan wrote:I don't understand this thread,
No rail based transport available = no public transport?
No rail based transport = Bus
Bus = slower than driving the car*

* usually, the OBahn being one obvious exception.

Of note is many areas that don't have access to tram/trains, did have in years past. The inner city tram network that was ripped up, the abandoned rail corridors.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:19 pm

ahh makes sense

I never got around to reading the thing.

makes it disappointing that my suburb gets nothing for another 30 years.