Shift the Governor to Carclew

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Shift the Governor to Carclew

#1 Post by Songsting » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:53 pm

The governor general's place is definitely a huge waste, and that land could be used so much better for all South Australians.

How about a 3-step process.

1) Find a new building for the Carclew Arts Centre (must be plenty of reasonable sites a little out of the city), and shift Carclew there.

2) Make any alterations/rennovations required at the current Carclew (Jeffcott Street) property, and then have the GG take up residence there.

3) Take down the walls around the current GG place, and use some vision to make it a fantastic place that is accessible to the people.

Surely we could accomplish these 3 steps over 5 or 6 years at a not unreasonable cost?
Last edited by Songsting on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Shift the GG to Carclew

#2 Post by Shuz » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 pm

I've never heard of Carclew. Would you care to detail more information on what makes Carlew such a significant place to house a Governor's residence, as opposed to other "grand" homes in the Adelaide area?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm not sure that there's enough room on the Jeffcott street property for all the functions and etc that the GG's residence holds.

Point 1:
A lot of people spout this line "The governor general's place is definitely a huge waste, and that land could be used so much better for all South Australians." without understanding that the place IS used for all South Australians. It's not just a place where the GG sleeps, it's a hub of activity from community events to the reception of dignitaries. Have a look in the Advertiser, everyday they have a little boxed article in the bottom right corner of page 3 or 5 (or close to that) stating what's going on at the GG's that day. The grounds are regularly set up with marquees to hold functions, community award ceremonies and so on. Additionally, non-commercial organisations can request to use the grounds for their charitable events and so on. There's normally an open day and garden tour twice a year.

Point2:
What are you proposing should be there?
...and use some vision to make it a fantastic place that is accessible to the people.
Yeah right, that's a fantastic idea, and so well thought out. I like how you've detailed all the specifics there. :roll:
You need to come up with a compelling idea that has a better claim to the property - that would be step one, relocating the Youth Arts Centre would be step two.

( Shuz: http://www.safilm.com.au/Location/Showc ... t=7&img=78
It's where the Carclew Youth Performing Arts Centre is. )
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:41 pm

I think you mean the Governor.

The Governor General lives at Yarralumla and would not appreciate being moved to Carclew.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by Songsting » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:38 pm

monotonehell wrote:I'm not sure that there's enough room on the Jeffcott street property for all the functions and etc that the GG's residence holds.

Point 1:
A lot of people spout this line "The governor general's place is definitely a huge waste, and that land could be used so much better for all South Australians." without understanding that the place IS used for all South Australians. It's not just a place where the GG sleeps, it's a hub of activity from community events to the reception of dignitaries. Have a look in the Advertiser, everyday they have a little boxed article in the bottom right corner of page 3 or 5 (or close to that) stating what's going on at the GG's that day. The grounds are regularly set up with marquees to hold functions, community award ceremonies and so on. Additionally, non-commercial organisations can request to use the grounds for their charitable events and so on. There's normally an open day and garden tour twice a year.

Point2:
What are you proposing should be there?
...and use some vision to make it a fantastic place that is accessible to the people.
Yeah right, that's a fantastic idea, and so well thought out. I like how you've detailed all the specifics there. :roll:
You need to come up with a compelling idea that has a better claim to the property - that would be step one, relocating the Youth Arts Centre would be step two.
Point 1; I think that the Govenor could still do all the same sort of things at the 'new' place, and everyone who currently gets that benefit still can continue to get it.

Point 2; I have no proposal for the current Governor's place, but I'm sure that the residence and gardens could be put to much better use for the general public. Note, once again, I'm not saying the Govenor doesn't do a whole stack of great things - I'm sure he does - but he could still do them somewhere else and we could have great access to the existing space.

Aidan wrote:I think you mean the Governor.

The Governor General lives at Yarralumla and would not appreciate being moved to Carclew.
You are absolutely right, sorry "GG", I meant, um, "single G".

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:43 pm

sorry, excuse my ignorance - but what's the problem we are endevouring to solve here? and how does moving the G solve it?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Vee » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Songsting wrote: ... definitely a huge waste, and that land could be used so much better for all South Australians.
... Take down the walls ... and use some vision to make it a fantastic place that is accessible to the people.
I'm in tune with with your ideas!!

The Governor's residence and vast grounds, surrounded by high walls, alienate a significant section of parklands from public access and enjoyment and create a barrier between the cultural North Terrace precinct and edge of the CBD with the surrounds.
The current residence could become a unique museum/gallery etc. for South Australiana, complementing the North Terrace precinct, and the grounds could become part of a new expansive vista connecting this space to the Festival Centre, Elder Park, riverbank and (revamped) Parade Ground area.

This single shift - demolishing the walls and opening up the grounds for public access - would transform this part of the city and add impetus to the plans to rejuvenate the riverbank and sporting arena. This extended area, either side of King William Street and along the riverbank is the ideal area to focus a new vibrant recreational and cultural area - something unique to Adelaide. We don't need an ugly Federation Square style development for Adelaide.
This extended area could be transformed into something special for all South Australians and visitors.

Carclew would be a magnificent substitute residence for the Governor but there must be other options available, considering the current use of this site and the need to relocate as well as refurbish. If your suggestion of Carclew as a residence proves a block, other options could be explored.

Just bring forward the ideas and plans to 2010 as we won't need a Governor's residence once Australia becomes a republic.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by fabricator » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:12 pm

If anything we should be relocating the office of the Attorney General to a better location, say Bolivar Treatment plant. As is fitting for a man of his community knowledge.

Stage 2: Relocation of Mike Rann's spin doctors to some place without phone, internet access, and preferably power.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

Re: Shift the Governor to Carclew

#9 Post by peas_and_corn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Surely the residence for our head of state being across the road from the legislative arc of government is important symbolically?

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by JamesXander » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Just buy the GG a huge masion in North Adelaide. It could be done surelly. And I disagree with you mono. It is a waste of space.

It could be best put to use in so many other areas. even as a park! The GG is important I agree, but the GG mansion is in the wrong location for this citys future.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by rhino » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:25 am

Having been to many functions in the grounds of Government House, I agree with Mono - it IS a place for the people, and is used as such. If you've never been to a function there, it's your fault - some of them don't require an invitation. It's not as if we don't have enough parks - just read some of the other threads on these forums and you will see people complaining about the "wastelands" that are our parklands - we don't need this area for another park.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 pm

rhino wrote:Having been to many functions in the grounds of Government House, I agree with Mono - it IS a place for the people, and is used as such. If you've never been to a function there, it's your fault - some of them don't require an invitation. It's not as if we don't have enough parks - just read some of the other threads on these forums and you will see people complaining about the "wastelands" that are our parklands - we don't need this area for another park.
Agree 100%. We have too much open space already...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 pm

rhino wrote:Having been to many functions in the grounds of Government House, I agree with Mono - it IS a place for the people, and is used as such. If you've never been to a function there, it's your fault - some of them don't require an invitation. It's not as if we don't have enough parks - just read some of the other threads on these forums and you will see people complaining about the "wastelands" that are our parklands - we don't need this area for another park.
Exactly. As I said earlier, if anyone can come up with a compelling use for the site that outweighs the current use, then yay. But wishy-washy statements about how it "could" be put to better use are useless. How is something as waste of space when it's being used, and there's no better use put forward for it?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by mattblack » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am

What about using it as the Adelaide historical museum, would suit the theme of Nth Tce too.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

mattblack wrote:What about using it as the Adelaide historical museum, would suit the theme of Nth Tce too.
There's already two SA oriented museums along North Tce, what collection would you put in there?